Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Resurrection of an Old Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JNKYARDDOG_1, Aug 12, 2020.

1. A little light at the end of the tunnel..

Finished the rear end with seals into the torque tube, New bearing race, That was a chore to get into the correct spot without the bearing bind with drive shaft inserted, The radius arms bolted on and new bearings and seals into the rear hubs. So now a complete rear end minus brakes..

Got spring bolted to frame, ANd rear end in place. Now I have a roller chassis YAY !

20200830_153204.jpg

20200830_153326.jpg

Had to see ride height of bed..

20200830_155056.jpg

2. Also got some garage cleaning done AGAIN ! Can actually get rolling frame in now.
    Sorted tools with a new box from Home Depot. They had a bunch of DeWalt boxes on clearance. The top box was a 42 inch 8 drawer with BIG top lid that flipped up. On sale for $280 and got another $100 off that !
    I would check you local Home Depots they may have the same.. NOT ADVERTISED !

AHotRod, Runnin shine, Boryca and 3 others like this.
  3. Chassis looks great!

loudbang likes this.
  4. Liking the way the chassis & bed sit!

Elcohaulic and loudbang like this.
  5. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Cool build! I like 32-34 pickups![​IMG]

6. Way cool truck.. when you gonna RIP apart

loudbang likes this.
  7. 51 mercules

51 mercules

After I get my merc running.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Finally, a little more done. The heat still been relentless, Got a bit of a reprieve last couple days, 109 yesterday and only 90's so far today but going to go back up to 103ish rest of week and back to the 4 letter word for me after a LONG weekend,

Worked on the grill a bit I have been dreading this since the whole lower section needed work. And really have had no luck finding one at decent price that was any better than what I had.
    It was trial and error fitting pieces that would work. Tried splitting tubing and bending it, That didnt work so well. So I took this piece that I made for a patch on the lower door before finding patch panels, Split the thing down the middle and shaped with the shrinker/stretcher tool form HF. Yes it works WOW amazing.. Then I was thinking how the hell am I going to make the lower grill section, So I went searching in the my bone yard and found a Nova cowl panel, It was close but not enough, Walked by the Box van that was my donor engine and it had a removable cowl, KERPOW it had the same shape. So I started cutting and welding pieces in and finally after several hours of grinding and fitting got something that will be close enough for this beater truck..

BEFORE

20200907_084657.jpg
    20200907_084654.jpg

Cowl panel

20200909_120505.jpg

AFTER!

20200909_120002.jpg

20200909_120751.jpg

More block sanding to go...

9. loudbang

loudbang

Good thinking it looks GOOD. :)

brady1929 likes this.
  10. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Nice work on the grille!!

loudbang likes this.
  11. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

I really like your build, first you have snow then 111 , i feel lucky it was only 109 here to hot for a old man to work in let alone a young persons. Thats way we built them as a kid, and we used rustoleum for all the paint used a new brush and tried not to leave any marks. I like the wheels and tire combo look what are they? Frank

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  12. Those are Rocket Injector wheels, They rereleased them, I was having a hard time making a set of 5 slot mags to work with some crazy adapters. Seen these and said I like em... Most have liked them also.

1-SHOT and Jalopy Joker like this.
  13. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice job on that grill. You have a great project going there.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Great save on the grill there with some creative repurposing!

loudbang likes this.
  15. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Love the save on the grill, great creativity. Frank

loudbang likes this.
  16. Hey Thnx everyone.. When something is tough to find and one is on a DEEP budget you do what you have to, And didnt want a cookie cutter 32 grill. Mind you it isnt perfect but this is just going to be a driver and at 70mph who gonna critique it.

brEad and 48fordnut like this.
  17. “and at 70mph who gonna critique it.”

Damn straight!

loudbang likes this.
  18. scrubby2009

scrubby2009

loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  19. Nice build - I like the grille save as well .....

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  20. goldmountain

goldmountain

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  21. *All right finally as little more done.. Last weekend got the 2 doors blocked and final primer after a crap load of work..

I know I know no pics no proof, But it is what it is..

Stogy, Tim and Runnin shine like this.
  22. This weekend the weather has finally got better. HIGH 90's mid day.
    So it was time to get cab work done.. Got the sand blaster out and finished blasting the cab.
    Started the body work on the rear panel, Man that was beat to hell.
    Filled the upper bolt holes where it held the wood in place. Broke out the Light weight polyester auto body filler, And the grout pump after a bunch of hammer and dolly work. and spent the better part of yesterday and today shaping and sanding UGH ! But my goal was to get that back panel into primer, And it got done ! Not sure if to tackle the roof or the cowl next. As seen in pic below it needs some attention also..

20201017_125314.jpg

Mudd work begins..

20201017_125400.jpg

20201018_145844.jpg

And now the Feather fill 715 primer
    20201018_154339.jpg

Hopefully Life adventures doesn't get in the way of more progress next weekend...

23. DAMN been another 2 months, Life got in the way of progress again. House issues again, work, shorter days. Emergency trip to Michigan to say Good Bye to Dad.. RIP, That was a LONG ass drive by self.. Stuck in Amarillo for 8 hrs due to snow storm, Same one that Squrrel zippity doo dahed his wedge car into the ditch. Work stated that if I flew I would have to be in quarantine for 14 days when I got back, But ok to drive?
    Cleaned out shop again to roll the chassis back in, remounted the cab to do some floor work and level cab on chassis. While I was there I cut the FUGLY out. Butchered up brake/clutch arms remounted on a piece of diamond plate..

20201227_152751.jpg

how this ever worked I couldn't tell you. So I found a scrap piece of metal same shape and thickness of the frame cut/fit and welded it in.

20201226_171443.jpg

When I was at the Good Guys show last month (LAST TIME EVER!) Found a fordeee Ford clutch/brake assembly. Think it is anyways.. got it mounted to the frame after some surgery.

20201227_153028.jpg
    If some one tell me different please do.. The master is not even seized up should be able to rebuild..

Going to have to clearance frame for clutch pedal and brace up the folded metal that holds assembly.

Need to remount the engine/trans to finish floor. This needs to be done before final prime/paint.

Cab level on frame, Now time to get bed same angle of the dangle to match..

20201227_155512.jpg

20201227_155537.jpg

Comealong hanging from roof was used to set cab on frame, That's always fun byself..

Another 3 day weekend next week hope to get more done...

brEad, LAROKE, dana barlow and 6 others like this.
  24. sorry to hear about Dad

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

My condolences on the loss of your Dad!

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  26. bchctybob

bchctybob

Your truck is sure coming along nicely. I like the channel. Mine is only 2 1/2", as far as I could go without having to rework the bottom of the cowl for the front fenders. Mine will be fenderless until I can find an affordable pair of front fenders. Keep at it man, it's lookin' great!

loudbang likes this.
  27. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I am also not fond of the triple (or double) air cleaner look. Partly due to the appearance and partly for technical reasons. On my Pontiac tri power I used the Datsun air filter like Jokester did.

At the risk of blowing my own horn this is the air cleaner that I made for my dual quad Pontiac. [​IMG]

By the way I really like the Lincoln valve covers and I am sure that you are clever enough to find a way to use them.

Budget36 and loudbang like this.
  28. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Great job!

loudbang likes this.
  29. Yes the Lincoln Valve cover will be going on. Gave up on a crossram dual quad due to valve covers hitting it and not sitting flat. I was looking to make a air filter similar to your dual quad one for the tri power I am going with.

'51 Norm, loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  30. roddering

roddering
    from Arizona

looking good

loudbang likes this.