Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods MONEY AND NO TIME or TIME AND NO MONEY

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 392, Sep 15, 2020.

1. 392

Thought I’d start a thread about typical money with no time vs time with no money. Personally I’ve been in the money with no time. Lots of hours with no end in sight. And I get Covid has thrown this a big curve or maybe not. Whats your time in life with builds or personal projects.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  2. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Quite a few of mine are finding parts.

So sometimes no money, sometimes no time and sometimes can't find the parts I need...

Terrible80 and 392 like this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

Plenty of time, plenty of money. Not much motivation.

4. Retired and have the time, but all the "disposable " income,
    is going into the house! Gotta finish the "restoration"of the house before you know........
    Also getting harder and harder to find parts to get cash like I did for years!.
    Everybody has problems.
    Tons of enthusiasm but little $, and I am impatient. I don't want to build.
    I want to rescue fix and drive! But so many guys are still "I'm gonna restore that some day"
    Ya sure! ! I do have one off topic that I like.
    But I would trade it in a heart beat for a '50s style Rod!

392 likes this.

5. For 30 years I had the time but no money. Now I'm retired and have plenty of both, but like Squirrel, I lack the enthusiasm.

6. papajohn

papajohn

I've told my wife for years. Need time, money and good health. Never seem to have all three at once.

392, tractorguy, jimmy six and 3 others like this.
  7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Thanks to some good freight rates this year, the money has been pretty good. But to make that money, I am working harder than I ever have, so not much time to do anything. Thought I was turning the corner when I got it running, the the transmission decided it was toast, so it all had to come apart again. After I got it out, that’s when the enthusiasm went away. Other things have taken priority, so the car sits. Cooler weather is coming, so maybe I will get started back on it. Or maybe I’ll sit on my ass in the house when I’m not working. Time will tell.....

392 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  8. Departed

Departed
    from Canada

Judging on some builds I've seen in the past, sometimes one is not better than the other lol!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I'm ok on time and money, a little of both but in my 70's and finishing the second frame up car in 10 years and running out of motivation. I have a 30 Model A pickup I've used as a daily driver that sits outside for 15 or so years that needs some rust repair and a repaint but don't think it'll happen. Can't just stop and sit around but don't think I have another rebuild in me.

392, trollst and bobkatrods like this.
  10. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

Right there with you funds are not a issue anymore,just staying out in the shop past midnight is not the fun it use to be so I do good to make it past 7pm. Just getting old

392, hudsonmand and papajohn like this.
  11. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Almost 26113935_1954294188228186_7782838169999292485_n.jpg Adequate Amounts Of Time And Money But Not Willing To Take On Another 5 Year Project..

392, lothiandon1940 and jnaki like this.
  12. gene-koning

gene-koning

I was self employed. Have money, but no time, or have time, but no money was the story of my life. I finally figured out there were some things you could do while spending very little money. I've also discovered if you plan ahead, when you have money, you buy the parts your going to need when you have the time.
    The motivation thing is the tough one, especially this year! I have the time, and parts are sitting here, but forward movement is pretty slow. Its either been too hot, too cold, or it was just right but I (or the wife) wanted to do other things. I find myself sitting in the chair, listening to the radio, drinking my favorite beverage (mine is Pepsi) and looking at the project that hasn't changed much in the last 2 weeks.
    I actually got off the chair and did something this afternoon! I spent about a half hour placing (as in laying it in place, not actually installing) the wiring harness inside the ride. Then I had to take a break...... Gene

392, hudsonmand, 41 GMC K-18 and 3 others like this.
  13. evintho

evintho

When I was working I had the money but little time. Now retired, I have the time but less money. Motivation isn't lacking though! I basically work on the '54 every day. Sometimes I can't sleep at night 'cause I'm thinking about tomorrows project! Been retired for 4 years and lovin' it! I think I'd go nuts if I didn't have a project car to work on. Also, no more 10-12 hour days in the shop. At 65, I'm wasted after 6 hours!

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Need the funds to buy the needed parts to get to the next step in the Roadster project. Then everything will sit a bit longer until the motivation builds and I feel like working on it. Goal at this time in life is a body in finish primer with doors and deck lid fitted ready for paint. Next step is to get the '29 Steelback body in the same condition. I should be looking at 80 about then, hope you are still following the builds. Bob

392 likes this.
  15. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I have money and no time right now. but I am retiring the end of October so I will have time and no money. From what I hear you have less time when you retire right or wrong?

392 likes this.
  16. I've got the time and ambition but unfortunately being retired on a fixed income doesn't leave anything much for a new build. I've sold my 36 Ford and my 25 Dodge project just to get a bit ahead of the vicious cycle. Every once and a while i can squeak enough cash to make some needed updates on my 36 Chevy. It really seems like my car building days are over unless some distant relative ( which there aren't any) leaves me s great windfall of money. I now live vicariously thru all you guys . Mitch

47ragtop, 392, hudsonmand and 2 others like this.
  17. bobscogin

bobscogin

At 71 years of age, I can empathize.
    Bob

18. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Jim maybe you need another hobby? LOL

squirrel likes this.
  19. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Do you like airplanes? :D Well, you said you have plenty of money? LOl.

392 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  20. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Yup.....

21. I think my lack of motivation stems from the fact that when I was building cars in the '50's and '60's you could build a complete car from junkyard parts. My last build in the '80's kind of soured me because I just couldn't pay $200 for a part I used to find in the junkyard for 5 bucks. I'm just glad I did my cars when it was cheap and fun. Also, registration nightmares scare me too, not to mention all the wackos on the road today.

22. lake_harley

lake_harley

Like many others - Plenty money and plenty time....but to move quickly on a project would require spending money rather than time. Since I have a "do it myself if I can" attitude, rather than having the brown truck deliver a hot-rod-in-a-box, my projects take more time than they would have to. I guess I'm just a tightwad, but having sweat equity in a project is what gives the finished (or at least usable) product it's worth and satisfaction.

Lynn

23. trollst

trollst

I've built my last car. Its too tough to gather parts these days, eg...rad hoses...used to be you took a bent wire to your parts guy, got the hose....nobody stocks hoses now, they don't go bad anymore. Junkyards are disapearing, cars all go to the crusher now, yards with parts want the moon for prices.
    I enjoyed the hunt for parts, but the hunt gets too tough, I never bought ready made stuff, always made my own spring mounts, motor mounts, p/u boxes, adapted scrap parts to work, I built my cars with donations from other cars. If you look around and care to notice, rear wheel drive stuff is getting scarce, carbueretted engines are ancient, and I'm losing motivation.
    I really want to drive my stuff, hit places I never went and gotta do it before I'm too old to do it. Age? Maybe, as you get older, priorities change, hows that go? Older whiskey, faster horses, younger women, more money.....

392, hudsonmand and low down A like this.
  24. topher5150

topher5150

I feel like I'm in the opposite end of a lot of people. I have a lot of time, especially now that covid is making it hard to find a job, but finding a decent job that wants to keep me around and being able to get caught up on merry go round of bills makes it a slow go. But I've been blessed finding some pretty good deals from some of the old timers who would rather loose a couple bucks selling to me then seeing it scraped.

Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. gigem

gigem

Money: yes
    Time: no
    Skills: no

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

26. When you have money and no time you buy parts.
    When you have time and no money you build with those parts.

guitarguy, 392 and Budget36 like this.
  27. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

That sounds good in theory, but it never seemed to work out like that....
    At least for me... :(

LynnW

28. Budget36

Budget36

This is me right now. I started on my kids car out of necessity early in the year, when March and Covid came around, one of my coworkers had to take FMLA, when he'd come back, another would...etc...it's been 50-60 hour work weeks since, probably won't slow down anytime soon. But I've spent a truck load of money on her car and parts for myself as well. The little free time I have I spend tossing things in the spare garbage can clearing shop space. I've bought just about everything I need for her car and a lot for my projects as well. When free time comes, the shops should be in decent shape, I'll have extra space...time to spend getting her car done, and spending time on my stuff too.

I think if folks don't have the motivation to look at doing 3-4 projects, time to pare them down to the one they want. At one time I had about a 1/2 acre of projects lined up. I got to looking at how long it takes me to finish one thing, looking at the cars and trucks...realized I'd have to live to be about 160 years old to get it all done.

Sold some stuff for okay money, sold most of the stuff just to see it gone, gave away stuff for more space and a peace of mind.

392 likes this.
  29. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Still like many others,lots of time no $.
    As a teen in the 1950s, didn't have much $ ether,made some,worked at a paper rout first,then at gas station,plus by pinstriping,paint names on cars an started airbrushing wild car T-shirts.
    But really most all my car parts,came from the art of being a good scrounger* an trader.
    I'm still using much of the same skill set,but like others said,the go go drive to do, is a lot less the last 10 years,in part from age an little from no $ for new parts.
    Had a real good time anyway,making junk work better then many others new high $ stuff an out ran them a lot. Over 40 years of racing,averaged 10 main events a years,that's well synchronized junk. LOL
    Wish I had a better V8 Ford 292 Y block with fresh pistons an walls,new cam an lifters,but the old one in my hot rod still runs,even if blow by an some smoke,dropping oil psi, gives away how long it been a hot rod motor.
    So now days hot rod wise is what I'd like to fix most ,but no extra $s.

392 likes this.
  30. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

For 40 years no money, raising a family, then all those obligations were done (educations, weddings, etc) and had money. Retired shortly after that, then health went away (cancer, back surgery, etc). So now I have all the time in the world and enough money to afford this hobby but not the health to build. 48 convertible only needs top and interior, but don’t have the stamina to finish the little mechanicals (adjust top irons, set valves, fit hood, cut and polish paint) to send it to the interior shop. Always thought it was going to be one of the two, time or money. Never considered the really important one, health.

47ragtop, 32SEDAN, 392 and 4 others like this.