Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Panella Trucking

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stan Back, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Does anyone here have any photos of the Panella Trucking panel that drag raced years ago? Especially any that might even hint to the interior layout. If so, please give me a call at nine-o-nine 882-8489.

Hopefully, thanx in advance!

loudbang likes this.
  2. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

Panel truck? I'm not aware of one. Are you sure it was Panella?

loudbang likes this.
  3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I just searched for Panella and got 4 pages of hits. I know I posted one or two pix myself, but can't find them now.

loudbang likes this.
  4. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I believe it was a Anglia panel. He had a Willys PU and a Anglia sedan also, all painted candy red. I don't have any pictures though.

Pat

loudbang likes this.

5. Note that Bill (@slixauto) Ganahl, Donny (@donovandagger) Welch, and the team at South City Rod & Custom are currently restoring Bob Panella's '35 Willys Panel:

Bob Panella's '35 Willys Panel @ South City Rod & Custom (1).jpg
    Bob Panella's '35 Willys Panel @ South City Rod & Custom (2).jpg
    Bob Panella's '35 Willys Panel @ South City Rod & Custom (3).jpg
    Bob Panella's '35 Willys Panel @ South City Rod & Custom (4).jpg
    Bob Panella's '35 Willys Panel @ South City Rod & Custom (5).jpg
    Bob Panella's '35 Willys Panel @ South City Rod & Custom (6).jpg
    Bob Panella's '35 Willys Panel @ South City Rod & Custom (7).jpg
    Bob Panella's '35 Willys Panel @ South City Rod & Custom (8).jpg
    Bob Panella's '35 Willys Panel @ South City Rod & Custom (9).jpg
    Bob Panella's '35 Willys Panel @ South City Rod & Custom (10).jpg
    Bob Panella's '35 Willys Panel @ South City Rod & Custom (11).jpg
    Bob Panella's '35 Willys Panel @ South City Rod & Custom (12).jpg

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Only recall their Anglia, there were a lot of Thames panels in 60's/70's drag scene.
    One of my favorites from the period.

upload_2020-9-15_14-2-26.png

alfin32, Deuces, KiWinUS and 4 others like this.
  7. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Note that Bill (@slixauto) Ganahl, Donny (@donovandagger) Welch, and the team at South City Rod & Custom are currently restoring Bob Panella's '35 Willys Panel:

Right! That's who needs them. I thought someone here might help them.

loudbang, jimmy six and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. Bob didn't race that Willys Panel Delivery. It is a Stock restoration. South City fixed some of the body work,, a different shop did the interior wood and i believe Bob's own shop is doing the finish work. South City is restoring Bob's Anglia "El Padrone" right now,
    panella trucking.jpg and then I believe they're going to start on his Opel GT that came after the Anglia. Bob also raced a '33 Willys for a short time in 1965. The Willys Pickup and the Anglia were probably Bob's most famous of all his race cars.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  9. I think I found a vintage photograph of Bob Panella's '35 Willys Panel :rolleyes: :D :

Panella Trucking '35 Willys Panel.jpg

alfin32, Deuces, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I worked with a guy many years ago that showed me a photo of the new white Willys panel that his dad bought for his plumbing business.

11. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I don't have anything to add to the Anglia panel question , But I will say this. I have met Bob Panella at the Hot Rod Reunion and the GNRS. This guy is the real deal hot rodder , totally happy to shoot the shit with anybody who wants to talk hot rods past, present , whatever... He loves Drag racing .period.

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  12. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I found this car in my dads 8mm movies from Great Bend, KS 1965 thumbnail - 2020-09-16T230243.768.jpg thumbnail - 2020-09-16T230238.998.jpg thumbnail - 2020-09-16T230232.594.jpg

13. loudbang

loudbang

stillrunners likes this.
  14. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

15. I'm thinking that white Willys Panel trucks were a popular choice for small business owners in the '30s.

Searching for pics of 1933-1936 Willys Panel trucks resulted in several examples of white (or light gray) Willys work vehicles ... including locksmiths, florists, bakeries, etc. (but no plumbers :() ... here's the pic I used to "photochop" the Panella Trucking logo onto:

Debes Bakery - 1935 Willy Panel Delivery.jpg

alfin32, stillrunners and loudbang like this.
  16. Stan Back -

We've established that the '35 Willys Panel that South City Rod & Custom is helping to restore for Bob Panella Sr. wasn't one of his drag cars ... but rather a "stocker" complete with the original wire wheels.

Did you ever figure out which Panella drag car South City is requesting vintage photos of (especially pics of the interior layout)?​

HEMI32

loudbang likes this.
  17. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

@gnichols I think i found the ones your lookig for in my Thames panel gasser thread. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/thames-panel-truck-gassers.1018345/ But it's Ralph Panella not Bob and its not a gaser. DSC_0914aW2000.jpg DSC_0913aW2000.jpg

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    HEMI32, KiWinUS, alfin32 and 3 others like this.
  18. BobPanellaAngliaGasser8-vi.jpg As I stated earlier South City is in process of restoring "El Padrone". Here it is in the shop at South City. It was made into a street rod years ago and is now being brought back to as raced. 20200917_093855.jpg 20200917_093930.jpg

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Yep I think those are my shots. I was lucky enough to spend the day there at their Trucking Co. and got the full tour of his collection (insanely cool cars and boats) and got to ride on one of his big ride-on trains at the house. A trip to a winery was in there too around lunch time. I had a great time.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    Speed Gems and loudbang like this.