Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects It's alive!!! A 1957 Fargo Tale....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57 Fargo, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Passenger fender on[​IMG]
    Repainted the white on the emblems in the same cream as everything else
    [​IMG]
    Before
    [​IMG]
    After

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. IMG_2173.JPG IMG_2174.JPG

Hoods on. Fits like crap just like an old truck should.

Anybody happen to have dimensions for 1957 Fargo hood bumpers?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  3. Haven’t done much on the truck lately, ran it outside to take a few pictures today.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. After a two week holiday with the family and catching up with home stuff when we got home, I finally got some time yesterday to get started on the box.

In true me fashion I forgot to take pictures along the way, I changed the rear stake pocket and a part of the box side at the rear.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

All of this came about because dumb ass young me cut the back of the box side flush with the stake pocket to “smooth” the rear, what an idiot. Also went over some of the previous work to clean it up, the one side is now ready for sandblasting and epoxy then body work, hopefully I can get the other side done this evening, it needs less work.

I’m hoping to have the box painted this year before the weather goes to shit. I’ve decided (I think) to put some money away over the winter and buy new stepside fenders in the spring.

5. IMG_2214.JPG IMG_2215.JPG IMG_2217.JPG IMG_2218.JPG IMG_2219.JPG IMG_2220.JPG IMG_2222.JPG

Changed the stake pocket on the other side as well, it was better than the original one. I wonder how many people would be mad I cut up a short box to fix a long box, oh well.

Built the patch for the rear box rail using tin snips my body hammer and my trusty purple sharpie...

I saw somewhere where someone said body filler was cheating, I say it lets hacks like me build respectable cars.

Luckily it’s just an old truck.

6. Got the tailgate straightened out today and fixed up the rear crossmember for the box.
    The various parts can now go to the blaster hopefully this week.

I have another box coming that I think will donate the fenders.[​IMG]

7. Here’s the latest box....I almost have the market cornered on shitty dodge stepside boxes in northern Alberta....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

fauj, razoo lew, 61Cruiser and 7 others like this.
  8. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

9. Thanks!

loudbang likes this.
  10. Now have all the box parts back from the blaster, hit them with a coat of epoxy and tomorrow I’ll start assembling the box to mock it up. Need to drill holes for the new cross members.
    Then I can start bodywork.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. [​IMG]
    Random picture having them both outside.

Just got back from getting crap from the Dr. for not taking it easy on my fingers after last weeks run in with the table saw...

12. Working on the truck a little today, new cross members for the box. That is not the box front I’m using, it’s just there for mock up. Still trying to decide what to use for wood on the box floor, I do know there will be no bed strips, I have a ton of “barn wood”. I may use that after sanding and varnish, we will see.
    IMG_2270.JPG IMG_2271.JPG
    IMG_2272.JPG

13. Got the box mounted and decided to figure out a mount for the filler neck which now comes up in the front corner of the box.

Made some templates using the finest cardboard and the trusty purple sharpie.
    IMG_2275.JPG
    IMG_2277.JPG
    Transferred that to some steel.
    IMG_2279.JPG
    IMG_2280.JPG
    Goes something like this.
    IMG_2281.JPG
    Plugwelded the two together.
    IMG_2288.JPG

And finished product.
    IMG_2289.JPG IMG_2290.JPG
    Need another 45 to build the rest to the tank. And decide on a gas cap.

The filler neck will be attached to the bracket, either welded or with brackets and screws. I’ll see once it’s finished up

14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I’d put a short piece of rubber hose between the tank and the filler to absorb any vibration.

Stogy, Blue One and 57 Fargo like this.
  15. Oh yea, there will be right at the tank.

Stogy, loudbang and Blue One like this.
  16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Just don’t use rad hose the fuel will eat it up quickly.
    Fuel filler hose is fuel resistant but you probably already knew this :D

17. You bet, I have some there already.

loudbang likes this.
  18. Got the body work done on the front bumper, put high solids primer on it today, sand and paint tomorrow.

Going to borrow a small blaster in the morning to blast the headlight bezels and mirrors then I can paint them at the same time.

19. Looking really good man. Can't wait to see it with the box and rear fenders.

loudbang likes this.
  20. CEB2C827-1012-455C-9B1B-A42EDD20C959.jpeg 0B3516DA-A53C-4D42-8A72-5440B8A57467.jpeg 3654ADD3-193E-4BCB-80ED-19A82B3CF54A.jpeg Go the little stuff blasted, block sanded the bumper then decided I would hammer a coat of epoxy on the bare metal stuff and on the bumper as a sealer then paint it. Well got the sealer on, laid down beautifully then these guys showed up...Fuck...no paint today. Sand again tomorrow and figure out plan B...

21. Flies in the vaseline we are :rolleyes: Never fails man. Nothing scares me more than a bug flying around the shop when I'm spraying paint lol. It's a helpless feeling

loudbang and 57 Fargo like this.
  22. I can live with one or two but wow! There was nothing at all, I went inside, cleaned the gun and this happened!! Some swearing and a proper kindergarten moment and here we are. Maybe I’ll try inside tomorrow, wonder if my wife will notice the air hose headed down the stairs....

23. Get some of them old school fly strips :D I hate flies

loudbang and 57 Fargo like this.
  24. Success!! Decided to give it a whirl painting the parts inside the shop, turned the lights on to distract the bugs and let paint fly. Much better.
    IMG_2311.JPG
    IMG_2312.JPG IMG_2309.JPG

I moved the Fargo outside to avoid overspray.
    IMG_2306.JPG
    IMG_2307.JPG

Sits nice, the running boards will make it look lower, and I’m thinking the back will come down a little more by the time I get the fenders and wood in the box.

25. Bumper and headlight bezels are on...[​IMG][​IMG]
    Made a couple brackets for the mirror on one side since I lost two...should find them tomorrow now that I made them..
    [​IMG]
    Needed two of these.
    [​IMG]
    A piece of plate and an angle grinder, hammer and drill and all of a sudden we have two reasonable facsimiles to use on one side
    [​IMG]
    A little epoxy primer and some paint after supper.

26. Oh you're all cocky when you don't have bugs in your paint ;) Looks great man! Almost makes me wanna work on my car, but the thought of it makes me need a nap :(

loudbang, 61Cruiser, 57 Fargo and 2 others like this.
  27. patsurf

patsurf

well done!!

chryslerfan55, loudbang and 57 Fargo like this.
  28. Thanks, I hope it helps guys realize you can do this stuff at home without high dollar tools...it’s not perfect but pretty damn respectable for a driver.

Hell I don’t even have concrete...

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  29. 61Cruiser

61Cruiser

I’m with you 100 per cent. All my painting has been on the driveway. No choice and and almost no funds. But I’m sorta happy with how it turned out. Your truck looks killer, can’t wait to see it finished ( no pressure ).

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  30. It’ll be next spring before body and paint on the box get done, I’m running out of decent weather and need to get things organized around my place for winter. Along with no concrete comes no heat as well.