Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My first crack at a traditional hot rod

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Logan LeMaster, Aug 13, 2020.

1. rusty valley

rusty valley

inspect your old bearings, if they are ok, then they are better than any of the new junk. get the number off the seal, any auto parts store can get them, and dont buy anything from macs, its all junk. not to be confused with mac from vanpelts sales, which is all good

2. Got the grease seals and bearings out! Grease seals say NMB ford and nothing else. Guess that means I’m gonna have to do some measuring to find replacements.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. rusty valley

rusty valley

google up 'axle seal fordbarn' i'll bet some numbers show up

chryslerfan55 and Logan LeMaster like this.
  4. fiftiescat

fiftiescat
    from NY

78-1175 or 78-1175A is the ford part number for the seal. Type that in an eBay search and you’ll find a bunch of NOS seals for good prices.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Squablow and Logan LeMaster like this.
  5. hrdtlrdr

hrdtlrdr

while you are this far into your project you should look at the conversion on the early ford backing plate to a newer brake set up.most here will say you do not need it but your ride will stop better and you will have the same look. some thing to look at..

6. IMG_5119.JPG so this looks like it’s worn out! I would like to find an original A set in good shape, anyone got a pair to sale?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. Thanks!

chryslerfan55 and fiftiescat like this.
  8. New tool for the shop! She needs a little TLC but should give me years of service! Also picked up another set of 42-48 ford hydraulic brakes. Not a bad weekend haul. Really need to get back to work on this car!
    [​IMG]

Jeff34, chryslerfan55, brEad and 2 others like this.
  9. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

We need to talk to the folks at Lagunitas about a sponsorship for you.

redzula and Logan LeMaster like this.
  10. They do make a fine product!

11. rusty valley

rusty valley

a piece of 1/2" copper tube fits in the hole on the perch. then, you weld up the worn out ends, remove the tube and dress up your welds with a flap disk. the copper keeps the inside of the hole true.

12. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

That's what I did on my A model axle bells, worked a treat
    20170620_190049.jpg

63fdsnr, Jeff34, Squablow and 5 others like this.
  13. Jason Mitchell

Jason Mitchell
    from Memphis TN

Cool build. Following.

14. Ok after an extremely long hiatus, I'm back and ready to build this car! Finally got the shop heated and have some free time on my hands. Going to tackle all things rear-end until its back under the car, then going to move to the front axle. I would like to have a roller by spring. The rear is a 35 with 4.11 gear ratio. I'm running late 40 backing plates I have 35 drums. Will those be compatible with the backing plates?
    I wire brushed and painted the rear of the weekend. Used the Eastwood Chassis black. I was a little worried when I sprayed it, it was awful shiny but after it dried it toned done to a matte finish.
    Taking a pair of 35 wire wheels to the powder coater tomorrow, they need to be black. IMG_6745.jpg IMG_6760.jpg IMG_6743.jpg

63fdsnr, 40FORDPU, Tim and 9 others like this.
  15. Wow after rereading my thread, I noticed I had already asked the same questions earlier. At least I know I'm on the same train of thought now that I'm getting started again.

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  16. manyolcars

manyolcars

Dont paint brake drums. Paint is an insulator and you want those Lockheed brakes to cool as much as possible. You can use Bendix self energizing self adjusting brakes too. They are traditional and a lot better than Lockheeds

High test 63 likes this.
  17. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Welcome to the dark side

18. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Good to see you 'on it'.
    A lot this I can use.

19. Dropping a pair of 35 wires wheels of to the powder coater today. Looking forward to hearing the quote. Started looking at tires for the rear, boy those guys are cashy lol.

nunattax likes this.
  20. alchemy

alchemy

You did spin the wheels to check for trueness before spending money on coating, right?

nunattax and Squablow like this.
  21. Jeff34

Jeff34

The first time I dropped mine off at Les Schwab (about 9 years ago), they were 30 bux each. The last time (this year) they were 90 bux!!!!!! Apparently they figured out there's money to be made.

22. Thanks for the advice!

23. Thank you!

24. Yes I did, hopefully the other pair check out also!

25. Yeah I felt like it was a little cashy, but this whole project will be!

26. I'm currently focusing on my 35' rear axle and all associated parts. I want to get that all buttoned up before moving on to the front axle. My spring hangers and shackles showed up from Millworks Hot Rods, planning to start on that this weekend! I've got my original spring, still debating on ordering there reverse eye main spring and cleaning up my leaves to make a pack. Or just buying the complete spring pack. I want to start going thru and replacing the rear drum wheel bearings. Any suggestions on the best place to source those parts? After that I plan on going thru the brake hardware. Still waiting on the pair of rear wires to get back from powder coating. Started looking at tires, thinking the Firestone Classic 750-16.

IMG_6888.jpg

Tires.PNG

High test 63 likes this.
  27. Got my rear wheels back from the powder coater today. I think they look great. I suppose its time to order a pair of tires next. Hope to get the spring hangers mounted this weekend. I'm going to pull my original spring apart this weekend and start getting it cleaned up and painted. Really wanting to get this rear end all buttoned up, so I can start on the front.

IMG_6915.jpg

28. Made some progress on the rear axle this weekend. Spring hangers installed, and backing plates back on, May replace some hardware before final assembly. Also broke down my stock spring and started cleaning it up and painting it. Decided to order the reverse eye main leaf from Millworks. When it shows up I will assemble it and start ordering all my brake components. IMG_6945.jpg IMG_6945.jpg IMG_6945.jpg IMG_6946.jpg IMG_6947.jpg IMG_6948.jpg IMG_6944.jpg IMG_6949.jpg

63fdsnr, brEad, lurker mick and 2 others like this.
  29. While I'm waiting on parts I can get started on cleaning up the frame. Think I will have it blasted and then spray it with some Eastwood chassis black. Also got the shop picked up a bit. IMG_6957.jpg IMG_6958.jpg IMG_6963.jpg IMG_6964.jpg

63fdsnr, brEad, lurker mick and 3 others like this.
  30. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Hard to beat the looks of the Firestone bias ply for a traditional build, hard on the wallet for sure, but what's a guy gonna do ?