Register now to get rid of these ads!

RODNEY PRICE Scam artist

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Birdman50merc, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Birdman50merc

Birdman50merc

BE ONTHE LOOK OUT FOR A SCAM ARTIST HIS NAME IS RODNEY PRICE, I HAVE BOUGHT NUMEROUS CARS FROM THE HAMB CLASSIFIEDS AND SO FAR SO GOOD. BUT IT WAS MY FAULT I BELIEVED THIS SOB, HE CALLED ME SELLING ME PARTS FOR A CAR I HAVE. I SENT HIM THE MONEY ONCE HE RECEIVED THE MONEY HE DISCONNECTED HIS PHONE. IT WAS ONLY $400 DOLLARS . LIVE AND LEARN. THIS RUINS IT FOR THE LEGITIMATE BUYERS AND SELLERS, DONT FORGET HIS NAME ITS
    ( RODNEY PRICE ) LOW LIFE SCAMMER

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  2. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

At any level you never hear of these guys getting caught. With all of the high tech that is available the law enforcement agencies they still cannot catch these people. I make it a point to travel to the point of sale, pick up the item and hand over the cash. I am beginning to feel that these computers systems are over rated and only good for information.

Driver50x and ClayMart like this.
  3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

was he a hamb member? what was his hamb name? did you report him to the mods so he can be banned before he gets someone else??

4. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I sent you a Private Conversation the other day asking what this guys HAMB name is.
    You never replied.

Can't Ban them is you don't share the info.

If you don't know or look to see - then just say so.

Thanks,

5. And that, my friends, seems to be the only sure way of dealing with these clowns. ;)

But how many of us have the patience or are willing to put up with a little inconvenience?
    :rolleyes:

6. Birdman50merc

Birdman50merc

No I don’t know if he was a Hamb member, he told me a friend of his deceased father is a member and told him I was looking for some parts for a car I have. That was a lesson and I usually don’t trust anyone. Live and learn.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. Birdman50merc

Birdman50merc

No I don’t know his Hamb name if he has one or maybe he isn’t even a member.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. You have a name and address contact the Attorney General in his state.

9. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I would suggest that you remove your telephone number from the ad and only deal with established members on the Hamb, through the PM system here at first....

IronFord, Rolleiflex, 302GMC and 11 others like this.
  10. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I recently got a message on my email, showed that it was from someone on the HAMB. said a friend had the part i was looking for and to email him. looked for the first guys profile, surprise! he was not a member. i don't know how he got the first email to show as coming from the HAMB. BEWARE, they are computer savvy

Just Gary and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Old trick - contact my friend he has one.
    Don't fall for it - it's same guy - but doesn't want a trail on the HAMB - don't fall for it.

clem and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

FELLAS - DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU DEAL WITH ANYONE.

NO HAMB MEMBER NAME - NO DEAL
    NEW SIGN UP - NO POSTS - NO DEAL
    CONTACT MY FRIEND - NO DEAL
    POSTS UNDER 50-100 - NO DEAL

SEND THE HAMB MEMBERS NAME IN QUESTION SO MODERATORS CAN LOOK AT AND BAN IF NEED BE.

DON'T SEND MONEY ORDERS - WESTERN UNION - WALMART GRAMS - ALL THAT.

NOT 100% PROOF BUT PAYPAL AT LEAST GIVES YOU A COMPLAINT REPORT / POSSIBLE REFUND BUT AGAIN NOT 100% FOOL PROOF.

HAVE THE SELLER SEND YOU THE PART USPS COD - AT LEAST YOU WEED OUT THE BS GUYS THAT HAVE NO PARTS TO SEND.

OR....... HAVE THE SELLER SEND THE PART - YOU SEND THE MONEY AFTER YOU GET IT.

TRUST GOES BOTH WAYS.

13. adam401

adam401

These scams are pretty easy to see usually. If a deal sounds strange it usually is. If a guy just joined here yesterday it's probably a scam. Last time I got a weird message responding to a wanted ad I messaged Moriarity about it. Guy was banned like 10 seconds later. Easy.

Sometimes I buy stuff on fordbarn.com and since I have very few posts over there I always tell guys that Im an alliance member on the HAMB with good trading feedback so they can check me out. I know at least once it was the difference between a seller dealing with me or not.

302GMC, Desoto291Hemi and Moriarity like this.
  14. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Sorry for your loss . I once sold in here to a member that signed up on here for a part I had. He sent a US Post Office money order, I sent the part and everyone is happy. That is the way it should be. Now I do get a few inquiries with 1 post count , if they want to pay via any form other than US postal money order or International postal money order no way .

15. This is good advice. I have a tendency to not deal with people who's only posts are in the want ads and have had people get indignant with me for not wanting to deal with them if they have zero post count.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree that someone who just joined is definitely a red flag but its not always the case. I bought a T-176 Jeep trans just for the top shifter to use on a Ford top loader. I joined a Jeep forum just to sell the trans. A forum member got a hell of a deal on the trans minus the top as well as the front and rear drive shafts that came with the trans when I bought it. I wasn't replying to a wanted ad but regardless it was my one and only posting on the site. Another time when I was just a lurker not a member here I responded to a members ad for a Merc oil pump who listed his email in the ad. I sold him the pump and he was very pleased with the transaction but that was years ago.

17. adam401

adam401

I'm sure there are good honest people that aren't members or are new members here that buy and sell parts and are great to deal with. For me the risk isnt worth the reward to find out so I just avoid them . Will I miss out on getting a part I need? Maybe but its been working for me so far so thats how I operate.

B Bay Barn and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. Squablow

Squablow

I'd say there's about a 0% chance the guy's actual name is Rodney Price and there's no way you have his address. If you sent him Western Union or Moneygram or some kind of gift card payment, he doesn't need any ID to claim it and it can have anyone's name or address on it, so they'd never use their own name and address. Often names and addresses are pulled out of a phone directory or something else and they're innocent people in case you're thinking of showing up at his/her door.

For future reference, it's a good idea to Google Image Search any pictures a seller might give you, if you can find the same pics on the internet, there's a good chance they just found the picture on the web and sent it to you claiming it's a part they have. Scammers don't have a giant cache of rare parts to take photographs of.

guitarguy and B Bay Barn like this.
  19. The scammers watch the wanted ads like hawks and will always have a story but if they are non members/ they have no post or just joined to sell you beware.

Sorry you got scammed, I can overemphasize the importance to ask members before getting hooked, a few questions to the hamb could have saved you 400 bucks.

They never have a paypal account. HRP

20. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

always ask for an address, then say you have a buddy not far from there that will come over to pick it up and pay cash -wait to see what happens next. Treat every inquire like its a scam

Lil32, slayer and Just Gary like this.
  21. 67drake

67drake
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Muscoda WI

I’ve received probably 10-12 messages/e-mails through the HAMB stating, more or less “Contact so-and-so , he has the part you need”. When I look at the persons profile they have no post count. Obvious scam. I never reply, report them immediately,and move on.

22. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Must be Vincent's brother. lol

23. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had a scammer once (not on here) insist that he email me the check so I could print it out.... Uh, what??

Hnstray likes this.
  24. Rodney Price, Rich Smith(made that up)... it’s funny how some scammers are so full of themselves they like to play name games. Don’t ever send money to some one named Ben Dover or Phil Macrakin. ;)

25. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jack Mehoff too!

wraymen and Unique Rustorations like this.
  26. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Mike Hunt is on my list as well

27. Also most times they use fake names to addresses
    They will use “Kindly sent”
    don’t sent Venmo either.

Sorry you got ripped off
    one think to note is that a lot new scammer join through tapatalk. Mods not sure if we still support tapatalk here. But it’s rampant on another board I’m on.

28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

not all "hey I know a guy who has one" replies are bogus. I was looking for a part here in the wanted ads and someone contacted me saying check this guy out, he had it, I bought it, no problemo. he was not a HAMBer. turns out I "know him" from local swap meets... one of those guys you don't even know their name but see all the time at shows and swaps..

5window likes this.
  29. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Stu Padasso is another one to look out for.;)

ffr1222k and RMONTY like this.
  30. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

-Brent- likes this.