Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Split rear rods - open driveshaft

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by chopt49, Sep 12, 2020.

1. chopt49

chopt49

OK so I’ve looked through past threads I notice topic has been talked about a lot but I could not find the answer specific to my question.

I have a 1935/36 Ford banjo rear end with the stock long radius rods (trimmed down some for frame attachment) —- currently I have them split. I am going to be running an open driveshaft and a 1940 flathead with Ford 3 speed top loader

I was originally going to run the rear radius rods to the frame. After researching and realizing that it’s better to have the radius rods triangulated back almost to where they attached to the stock torque tube I am changing my plans.

I have fabricated an idea to use the Model A stock crossmember and build a platform to mount the radius rods to (see attached photos). Cardboard will be 1/4” plate. I plan to use the tie rod ends and 7degree fittings as seen in photos.

Do you think this application will work and keep the rear end just as happy as Henry had intended minus the torque tube?

thanks.

Attached Files:

dana barlow likes this.
  2. trey32

trey32

Gonna need a third link up top to stop the twisting that the torque tube used to take care of...

X38, gimpyshotrods and dana barlow like this.
  3. badshifter

badshifter

You need an upper link. The 35/36 radius rods won't last without triangulation.
    IMG_2353.JPG IMG_2359.JPG

gimpyshotrods and dana barlow like this.
  4. chopt49

chopt49

So then why can I not just run these to the outer frame and then add the 3rd “panhard” link? Be a heck of lot less fab work.

Attached Files:

5. badshifter

badshifter

Don't think of less fab work, think of correct fab work.

What you're saying building is one big sway bar, without the flexibility of a sway bar. You will just break the tubes or brackets off as the rear end twists. Do a search, it's fact. They will break eventually Usually close to or at the axle end. A panhard bar keeps the rear end centered side to side and will do nothing for rear end rotation. The third bar (or 4th as some do) keep the rear end from rotating while under acceleration or braking. The radius rods being triangulated (front being as close together, or attached) minimizes the stresses of the rear end twisting. The rear spring keeps the axle centered side to side. If you don't run a transverse leaf spring, and opt for coil overs, then you need a triangulated 4 link , or a parallel 3 or 4 link and a panhard bar.

6. trey32

trey32

Panhard controls lateral or side to side movement.
    If you remove the torque tube there is nothing from keeping the housing from rotating forward under acceleration.
    Nothing to do with a panhard bar, just needs a simple third upper link is all...

sunbeam and chopt49 like this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You'd be attempting to turn your rigid rear axle housing into a giant anti sway bar.

Since it won't twist, your links will simply bend.

That is why you want the leading ends of the links as close together as possible.

That allows the rear suspension to follow the road, and articulate over bumps/potholes that are under just one wheel.

chopt49 likes this.
  8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

As gimpy said put them as close together as possible. I'm going to do some 36 bones on a chassis and I'm planning on using a pair of adjustable Johnny Joints at the front along with a torque arm. I've done a lot of buggy spring rear ends and have never used a panard bar. I am careful to make sure the shackles are at 45 degrees loaded

olscrounger, X38 and chopt49 like this.
  9. chopt49

chopt49

Thanks guys, I knew you all would be the voice of reason. I wil go with the original idea and try to get the bars as close together as possible and build a torque bar off the rear to center.

Again thanks!

X38 likes this.
  10. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Read up on TORQUE ARMs.

X38 likes this.
  11. 421-6Speed

421-6Speed

This is how I did my 33 coupe. I didn't have room on top and didn't want to cut my mint original floors so i put the torque arm on the bottom. Used a 37-40 radious rod cut the end off and made a attachment out of 3/8" plate that runs up into the radius rod about 18". 20200723_170610.jpg 20200723_170626.jpg 20200724_160823.jpg

teach'm, olscrounger and ramblin dan like this.
  12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Is that torque arm you made using a radius rod strong
    enough when compared to the size of the stock torque tube? Radius rods
    are not very beefy.

gimpyshotrods and sunbeam like this.
  13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is on the same plane as the radius rods, and thus provides no triangulation.

It simply adds another thing to bend.

14. trey32

trey32

Yeah, you really need an upper link...

15. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Would flipping that link be enough to create the triangulation?

16. The upper link and triangulation is sort of a New-stalgia thing. It works well, perhaps is more sound building practice from an engineering standpoint, but the bones were just split and landed on the frame for decades.

I am not saying that the triangulation and the torque stay is not a good idea but in actual practice it was not done as a common practice in the era that we normally shoot for. IE either will work you just have to decide what is acceptable for you.

I like both setups personally. But you have to remember I like a lot of different suspension setups. :D

Robert J. Palmer likes this.
  17. trey32

trey32

I'ma guessing it would interfere with the bottom of his floor...

18. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the split rear bones survived in the flathead era. When the OHV stuff came along and some found their way into a hot rod with a later trans and open drive line probably was the end of safely running split bones on the rear without reinforcements.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  19. chopt49

chopt49

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Few more question:

Can I use Tie Rod ends to attach the Radius arm to the underside of the frame or are they too weak?
    Are 4 bar ends better suited for this? Yet the give no articulation...

I plan to run the Torque arm as stated by a few here.

20. chopt49

chopt49

I agree and was under the same thought when I started this project.

I will be running a almost stock Flathead and 3 speed top loader. So I assumed (I know what that can do) it would not be a earth twisting set up yet since I will have an open driveline now this opens challenges.

21. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Some not so great shots of mine.

Attached Files:

chopt49 likes this.
  22. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

..and heres a few other ideas, not saying they're all good, just pics I found when i was deciding what to do with mine.

Attached Files:

Tman and chopt49 like this.
  23. chopt49

chopt49

Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

Did you fabricate the Torque Arms system or was it a kit?

24. chopt49

chopt49

Update, I mocked it up (Tack-welds only)

Attached Files:

25. I would gusset the tie rod end tabs.

26. chopt49

chopt49

I plan to add side gussets to tab they mount on, to add side stability. Then I will construct the Torque Arm.

X38 likes this.
  27. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

Make sure the output shaft of the trans and the input of the rear is in "sync" at ride height before you finalize anything. Looks good.

28. So no split bones from '49 on?

split bones are still working fine they are just not cool if you are a Monday morning engineer.

jimgoetz and bowie like this.
  29. Andy

Andy

If you make a mounting plate for the radius rods that drop them down a couple of inches or more you will have no problems. You would not need the extra torque arm. The math is tricky but if the rods are centered on the axle and you move them down half the distance to the ground, the bending loads are cut in half. I did that when I put a set an a friends car. He ran a 383 sbc and 350 trans. He drove it hard for years. I would check on them every so often. They stayed straight.
    The thing that is hard to get your mind around is that the math says that if they were all the way to the pavement, there would be NO bending loads!!
    Dropping them down also helps a bunch for clearance to the frame sides.

HemiDeuce likes this.
  30. eicke

eicke

Yea but your messing with driveline angles.