Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Detroit 2005: The Best of the Basement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 11, 2020.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Detroit 2005: The Best of the Basement

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

BillyYuma, Tim, Lepus and 7 others like this.
  2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Great trip down memory lane. I've never been to the Detroit show but about that same year when the Jimmy Shine truck was making the rounds I had a chance to check it out in Omaha. I was enamored by that truck and pre show I was over and under that truck taking pictures and notes which proved fruitful as a few years later I was contacted by a customer in Italy to build a Shine style chassis. I was also taken by that super low Monkey style Model A. They were both trend setters. Thanks for the pictures.

3. If anyone makes it to Cobo and doesn't go downstairs, well, they've missed the "whole" show.:D

4. I went for my first time this past March, just weeks before the Rona' blew up life as we knew it - Yes the Smell !! As soon as I began my decent to the basement, I was laughing at the smell, absolutely perfect - The basement was my favorite part of the show also, I love the stark difference in vibe from upstairs to down, don't think it would be as good if you didn't have the upstairs to compare to...

Driver50x likes this.

5. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So cool that you gravitated to traditional stuff at that age. Love it.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. Just like myself and "Blackie Gageian's Fresno Auto-Rama" ( I can hear the guy yelling it on the radio) when I was a kid. That was THE car show. Great memories.

Tman and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. Brings back good memories for me..I see some good times and some club cars when the Poor Boys were all a lot younger...

Like others said..I was there for move in on Thursday..had the usual great time, stayed from
    3:00 till about 10:00 and went and ate with my friend and fellow PB Vern..a couple weeks later shit went to hell..

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. That Petty Blue tracknosed A is iconic

A Boner likes this.
  9. This was how I was when I went to the lower section at the Cow Palace the first time except I was 22. The realization that you didnt have to be rich to build a hot rod was shocking to me because my dad always took me to see the expensive ones and always commented to me on how much they cost.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    J.Ukrop likes this.
  10. A Boner

A Boner

Think it’s a 26-27, but you are right, definitely slick!
    2BDCD1E7-BFB5-40D4-BA07-D890FAF71ACB.png

11. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@J.Ukrop You must be one of the two youngsters standing next to that ?wine? colored Model A and the "Aces High" 55 Chevy.

It looks like those two kids were having a great time.

12. You are right, there was a similar A around the same time and I got them mixed up. Cool ride.

13. Eric H

Eric H

I remember this year well.

J.Ukrop likes this.