Register now to get rid of these ads!

50 Power Wagon Woodie

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by mamllc, Aug 6, 2020.

1. mamllc

mamllc

I started this project about 6 months ago so the first post will show a lot more progress than later ones. The truck is a 1950 Power Wagon, the wood body that was on the truck when I got it was built by someone who either didn't have the original wood to copy or didn't try. The original plan was to build an exact copy of an original, but as the owner intends to use it, some changes were made to improve functionality. Styling will be mostly Campbell. It is a three door style with the spare tire on the running board behind the drivers door. I am working on the spare tire mount and finishing the opposite door now. After that will be the tailgate, trim, veneer for all the panels, a few thousand odd details then blow it all apart and start making it shiny. IMG_4041.JPG IMG_4058.JPG IMG_4081.JPG IMG_4103.JPG IMG_4121.JPG IMG_4129.JPG IMG_4131.JPG IMG_4138.JPG IMG_4142.JPG IMG_4150.JPG IMG_4156.JPG

Attached Files:

2. mamllc

mamllc

Not sure how many pictures will fit in one post but a dozen seemed like a nice round number. The roof is mostly original except that I decided to dress the corners up some. The original back corner posts had the same shape on the back as the new ones but the outside was straight instead of having the same profile as the other pillars. I decided to shape the outside of the rear post to match the front pillars. Tall people will be driving it so the front seat will be moved back along with the B pillar to make a bigger door and better access. The back door will be s IMG_4194.JPG IMG_4222.JPG IMG_4223.JPG IMG_4224.JPG IMG_4225.JPG IMG_4226.JPG IMG_4244.JPG IMG_4246.JPG IMG_4257.JPG IMG_4296.JPG IMG_4294.JPG IMG_4298.JPG tretched some too in order to keep things proportional.

3. mamllc

mamllc

Using bear claw door latches but staying with roll up windows. One piece glass in the front doors, originals had a fixed wing window. Quarter panels will get solid glass instead of sliders. It has A/C now and the four front windows should provide enough ventilation. IMG_4353.JPG IMG_4354.JPG IMG_4356.JPG IMG_4358.JPG IMG_4384.JPG IMG_4381.JPG

4. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Amazing work
    I envy people that can work with wood.
    I,m not one of them

rod1 and classiccarjack like this.

5. BJR

BJR

Am I watching "This OLD CAR". Where is Bob Vela? Nice work and it looks great. You have talent sir.

210superair likes this.
  6. gene-koning

gene-koning

WOW! That is some nice wood work.

I'm lucky to cut a board straight with a power saw and a guide. I'm impressed with guys that can do wood work, and what your doing is better then most the stuff I've seen. Gene

7. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

This is not what I expected. Wow! just wow!

8. Fordors

Fordors

@mamllc, your abilities suggest training as an artist, wood worker, tool maker and pattern maker all rolled into one. Very impressive, that will be one beautiful truck when completed.
    You will enjoy seeing another scratch built Woodie, on a one ton Ford truck chassis. Go to fordbarn.com and search for GB SISSON.

classiccarjack and 210superair like this.
  9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I second the woodie build by GB SISSON on the Barn. I sent him a PM with the link to your build. I don't know how often he gets on the Barn at the moment. He is busier than a one armed paper hanger right now with his cabinetry business.

10. mamllc

mamllc

Found the thread, it's a long one! Way too late tonight to get started on that. I'll have to have a closer look when I get more time.

11. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Perfection cannot be rushed !
    Everything old, is new again !

12. ras

ras

Very impressive skills. I'm curious how you cut the finger joints? Did you buy a jig or make your own, maybe a picture? Is the structural wood maple? Thanks in advance for your response

13. mamllc

mamllc

The wood is Ash. For the finger joints I had a set of wing cutters made and do it on a shaper.

Attached Files:

14. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Truly an amazing job! I'm looking forward to the finished vehicle.

15. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D That is just outstanding.Thanks for posting.Looking forward to updates.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

16. 38bill

38bill
    from Minnesota

Thanks for sharing your project. I really love seeing wood bodies being built.

17. 1952henry

1952henry

Nice job. Thanks for the pics. A fellow Marmon-Herrington owner and I have swapped thoughts about a woodie body on an F3 M-H frame. Neither of us have your abilities. Woodies were built on standard F2 and F3s. No woodie M-H has surfaced, however.

18. Clean , crisp, and precise . Such talent put to a cool build on a Power Wagon . Thanks for the pictures , I agree there is a thousand more " to dos" but I'm sure you will work your plan and plan your work. Looking forward to following the progress.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. CaptainComet

CaptainComet

Boy, you sure are killing a bunch of trees there ....
    Nice Work! I build furniture as a hobby.
    Haven't made this leap yet .... woodies and guitars, those are some serious woodworking skills.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  20. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Beautifully done.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  21. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beautiful Craftsmanship.

22. As a "retired yacht carpenter" I can really appreciate your skills. I also am impressed with your "finger joint" system. What are you using for adhesive?

23. mamllc

mamllc

Guitars aren't something I make a habbit of, but got roped into this little repair on my brother inlaws Les Paul. IMG_1276.JPG

6inarow and CaptainComet like this.
  24. mamllc

mamllc

Yacht carpenter? Ever heard of a wood sportfish called a Rybovich? That's where I got started in custom woodworking. This one is 48', finished it in 87. IMG_1207.JPG

Okie Pete, 6inarow and Tim like this.
  25. mamllc

mamllc

Forgot to answer your question.... I use epoxy for the finger joints and for most other things too including veneering the panels when I get around to it. I use a little yellow wood glue once and a while too.

26. mamllc

mamllc

The doors are all done, got the spart tire mount finished and am on to the tailgate. IMG_4405.JPG IMG_4407.JPG IMG_4408.JPG IMG_4409.JPG IMG_4410.JPG IMG_4411.JPG IMG_4412.JPG IMG_4435.JPG IMG_4434.JPG

27. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Man, that is one big beauty!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  28. Holy shit!! This is amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6inarow and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. oldwagonlover

oldwagonlover

Very impressive. I hope to do the same thing for my 48 Chevy!

You have me inspired, bought my shaper withsliding table and have my finger joint blades. Plus bought a 4” tall spindle cutter so I can copy pattern for my wood.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

30. mamllc

mamllc

I have never considered myself to be exceptionally talented. I know that not everybody can do this kind of work, but I think a lot more can than know it, they just haven't tried. Good to see you jumping in, best of luck to you!