Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration <<<< Friday Art Show 9/11/20 >>>

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57 Corvette ~ Bob, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I am not an artist, I don't have the patience or the skill set. I heat and beat metal and tinker. I do appreciate skill or talent or whatever you may want to call it. I really enjoy the drawings and art, that are posted weekly on this thread. When I see something that I like or enjoy, I try to commend the originator so he/she knows that their time and effort is noted. I had no idea that saying "wow, you have talent" was upsetting. Its just a compliment, Now I know to just keep quiet.

Jigger, fauj, catdad49 and 3 others like this.
  2. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

I just reply "Naw, I can't draw. It's your imagination. But thanks!", if someone makes a comment about anything I draw or paint.

It's all objective, and if someone appreciates it then all's the better for it. Always say thanks though, because usually the comment is genuine; many people can't put pen to paper and make more than stick figures, let alone life drawing.

If it's not for the recognition, then why do you do it? If it's for personal enjoyment and any compliment will get your back up... Don't show other people. However, you can draw, you have a skill at capturing an image to paper and people genuinely appreciate that, particularly if they can't. Take a little pride in their envy and say thank you even if you aren't sure you should.

Eggs sucked? Alrighty then.

I only got in my soapbox because I haven't drawn anything in months...

Phil

3. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Seriously! It is talent, usually your art teacher is the 1st to pick up on it, if not your parents who spring for the constant art supplies. I've always wanted to draw like Steve Stanford, or Thom Taylor, I even bought Thom's book, How to Draw Cars. But no matter how much I tried, my cars never got over the 10 year old's scribbles. My mom always told me that God gives you talents & if you don't use them, you lose them over time. I could sing really good when younger, but gave up on it as I got older. Now I can't even carry a tune. So be thankful for your "Talent", especially if you are making money using it. Just one man's opinion.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    Jigger, 40StudeDude, PhilA and 4 others like this.
  4. Lil32

Lil32

5. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

That my friend is really nice!

6. That my friend is really nice![/QUOTE]

Thank you! Really appreciate your Comment! Have a Great Weekend!

rbrewer and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. X-cpe

X-cpe

A couple of perspectives on talent vs. hard work. Years ago there was a Peter Nero (concert pianist) special on TV hosted by Cesar Romero. Romero said, "I wish I could play the piano like you." Nero replied, "There's nothing to it, it's just 8 hours a day for 20 years." The flip side comes from a MASH episode where Major Winchester is trying to encourage a young soldier/pianist with a hand injury. Winchester said, "I can play all the right notes, but I just CANNOT make music."

8. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow Jeff, your work is absolutely amazing ! Probably the finest automotive illustrator I've ever seen! Every piece of your work I've seen always has perfect perspective, composition and "feel" to it. Amazing.

And for all you guys that believe "talent" is a real thing...well, Jeff Norwell's art could convince me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Palookaville Gold...

10. And I can’t even roll a straight line.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Great work, I really do look forward to each and every FAS, "in a former life" I was a parts puller and parts driver at a junkyard- the "torch truck" sketch bought back a ton of memory's, we primarily used a torch car, and cut out holes in the trunk for the oxygen/acetylene bottles , I used the paint bottle markers to letter the various torch cars-thanks to all for your incredible contributions!!!!

12. sololobo

sololobo

Another great F.A.S. kids. Nice to see brother Jeff Norwell sharing some of his great stuff again. Keep on keepin on!

13. Rbrewer and all the others; thanks for the comments and the "likes"

Jigger, 41 GMC K-18 and Stogy like this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Where-were-you.jpg
    There's no Submarines today Honey...;)

Credit to All That Inspired This

15. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Thanks guys..... Have a great weekend and keep your work alive!
    ....thanks very much.

Jigger, 56 Dodge Pickup, fauj and 4 others like this.
  16. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks everyone for all the "likes"...and for participating in that spirited "Talent" discussion :D.

18. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Her bra off and keeping the heels on...every boy's fantasy:p

I'm sure the P40'd belly tank would agree:D

Nice work @Stogy;)

Lil32, Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

CFV1_HV3.JPG
    :rolleyes:...An Inspiration of Hamber @chryslerfan55's 56...Hey! who's in your Hotrod...:eek:

Chrysler, You asked for another color fade...could you refresh my swiss cheese golf ball brain...:D

...On a serious note I'd like to send my sincerest thoughts to the West and Southern Hambers engulfed in the Flaming and Swirling Hell that rages on and on...robbing them of everything in its path...what a friggin year...:(

Credit to All that Inspired This

Lil32, Jigger, ct1932ford and 4 others like this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The_Kid.jpg

:rolleyes:...My Grade 10 Drafting Folder Doodle of P & J's California Kid Coupe...Let's see, I was 15 years old...I'll bet it was in a Streetrodder too...Probably one of the most Doodled Hotrods...

I'd like to extend a Big Thank you Hambers for your appreciation and kind words regarding my Mixed Media Adventures in Art...

Regards,
    Stogy

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    Lil32, quick85, Jigger and 6 others like this.
  21. Thanks for the kind words @Stogy. The other color I suggested was yellow, but I’ll stick with whatcha got already.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.