Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration <<<< Friday Art Show 9/11/20 >>>

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57 Corvette ~ Bob, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sunset_Hotrod4.JPG

:rolleyes:...Out and About

Spoggie, oldsjoe, catdad49 and 20 others like this.
  2. HotRodJack,...I don't entirely agree, ...how is it that very young people sometimes have a real knack at artistry, or singing,etc., if they weren't born with it, they sure didn't have years of honing their skills....I love all the comments directed my way and take them as such. I'm just glad I can share my talents with those who enjoy them.
    ...and 56 Dodge...I don't know how you do what you do on those signs, very talented and nice work
    ...finished up those 2 from last week, a Stude and a sketch of HAMBer Terriazer's IH p.u.
    woodart 2020 300.jpg woodart 2020 304.jpg woodart 2020 308.jpg woodart 2020 309.jpg

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    oldsjoe, 18n57, catdad49 and 45 others like this.
  3. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I agree with Rusty1. Anyone that has coached youth sports has seen talent, and knows it is not distributed evenly. I am pretty coordinated and athletic, but I can't sing.

catdad49, rbrewer, Chief 64 and 8 others like this.
  4. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Digging deep.... RUSTPOSTERFINAL 001.jpg

rooman, oldsjoe, KiWinUS and 40 others like this.
  6. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

7. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

8. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Have a Great weekend All!

Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 10.08.28 AM.png

Spoggie, oldsjoe, JOYFLEA and 37 others like this.
  9. guy1unico

guy1unico

10. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

Just when I think I may have some art skills.....I look at the Friday Art show and realize that I'm humbled by the skills and talents I see posted on here. When my teenage granddaughter would rather sit a draw and talk with me than watch Tv, art night-2.jpeg I count my blessings and sleep well.
    Gary

rooman, Spoggie, oldsjoe and 34 others like this.
  11. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

I believe all people have talent, some born with it some develop it. It may not be art, talents may show up in an entirely different format. Somehow I find it offensive that you are offend by someone telling you they like what you do. Perhaps just another example of society going all to h#ll. Sad really.

sololobo, rbrewer, Chief 64 and 7 others like this.
  12. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So sorry to start this weeks FAS on such a bummer note, but I needed to vent to someone:mad:

Last week I was talking to my little sister (with her 4 year Art Degree...and a train wreck of a life) who is absolutely convinced I was born with "that talent gift"... that she didn't get. Are you kidding me?
    We both have the SAME wonderful parents so we should both have the same basic core principles and very similar DNA.

I tried to explain to her there was NO "talent gift" involved here. I really wanted say her lackluster artistic abilities( and her life in general) were a direct result of NOT applying oneself ...or NOT being passionate about anything..,.but THAT was best left un-said.:eek:

Anyway, that got me thinking...if my own sister (a college trained artist) believes some "Magical Talent Gift" is involved, rather than considering the years of work/desire/practice/passion...then does the general public think It's also, only just Talent?:( Jack Murphy 01.jpg

oldsjoe, JOYFLEA, KiWinUS and 27 others like this.
  13. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

14. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

All people are not born with equal ability. And no amount of effort, passion, practice, whatever, will make everyone perform equally. But I agree that some people don't see their problems as their own doing.

15. Lepus

Lepus

two each from the 2012 Jalopy Showdown (wet & muddy) and the 2017 one (dry and dusty) 12js.JPG 12js2.JPG 17js.JPG 17js2.JPG

16. I’m just thankful for all the talent here whether by gift and/or tons of hard work. :D I know this topic is often debated and fully trust that even folks that aren’t as gifted in something but have a passion for it and are willing to put in the work can end up with a skill like artwork. I have seen folks that don’t start out as “gifted” end up beyond the skills of others just because of the passion and hard work. What frustrates me the most, even with my own kids, is seeing someone that is “gifted” at something not have any passion or “want to” to use it.

Oh, and another great show so far! One of my favorite series of threads on the HAMB.

17. 57 Corvette ~ Bob

57 Corvette ~ Bob

Thank you .......I used that style for about a year and then just got away from it .......fun to go back and look at older work.

catdad49, rbrewer, Lil32 and 4 others like this.
  18. Always one of my favorite threads to look at all the great art everyone posts up. Thanks to all for your efforts, and sharing with the rest of us.

catdad49, rbrewer, Lil32 and 9 others like this.
  19. [​IMG]My first Merc in it's Prime(r) - ART under the power lines.

oldsjoe, sololobo, catdad49 and 18 others like this.
  20. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The only "sad" thing is that you are exactly the type of person I'm referring to...thinking someone who excels at something must have some "mystical gift", called talent.
    Nobody is born with talent, or knowing anything for that matter. You may develop an aptitude or ability to learn and understand things better/faster than someone else, but EVERYTHING has to be learned.
    Throughout life you learn many skills, but to excel at any one of them, you need an ENVIROMENT to learn it, a DESIRE/PASSION to excel at it and TIME/PATIENCE/PRACTICE to achieve the highest skill level you are capable of reaching. It has nothing to do with talent...it's all just hard work.
    Those of you who have achieved a high skill level at anything, know what I'm saying. Those who haven't, will continue to down-play all your hard work developing your skills...and just call it "Talent

22. D type

D type
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you for all your hard work and maybe a little bit of talent I enjoy your art
    and thanks for sharing

catdad49, rbrewer, Lil32 and 7 others like this.
  23. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great show this week, thanks to all that have contributed.

First of all, take a little time to remember those that were lost on this day, 19 years ago, and to all that are dealing with these intense fires in Washington, Oregon and California, and many other places in the U.S. right now.

DSC_2596 (3).JPG

Thanks to the owner of the H.A.M.B. ( Ryan ) for providing this great website to be a part of and to contribute to, on a variety of different levels.

In response to HotRodJack33's rant, let me say a few things about the wonderful world of art.

I took art in high school all 4 years. It opened my eyes to a new world that was fascinating, and it was a challenge to try to do it well. I was terrible at it, I could never get the image to flow from my fingers to the paper they same way I had envisioned it in my head. But I did develop a great sense of color and how to be bold with bright primary colors and a love of free form geometry such as this hand painted Callaway golf shirt I did for me a few years back as an OT example.

IMG_0864 (2).JPG
    I have always had a love of all things mechanical, cars, boats, trains, planes, etc, etc, etc . The element of photography was always an interest of mine. The element of being self taught, meant a long slow road of discovery in relation to getting the image on paper the way I wanted it to be.

I had to really teach myself the ins and outs of photography to get the perspective and composition right, I had to learn the difference between the 50 MM lens and the 2.4 24 MM wide angle lens, once I got a feel for it, it started to be the lens of choice in relation to getting the shot I wanted.

I started the insane crazy process of shooting slides and using my projector to project the image at 33"X 27" on lecture pad, draw it in with pencil and then go back and ink it all in with India ink. These two are an example's of that, one finished, one not finished.

IMG_2750 (2).jpg IMG_2762 (2).JPG
    Back in 1984, I became a vendor " artist " at the Pike Place Market here in Seattle. 2 years of that taught me a lot about art and how fickle the general public is when it comes to art and selling ones own art to the public. I am very thankful that I always had a great good paying day job, so that I didn't have to sweat the mortgage by worrying about selling my T-shirts.

The realm of T-shirts is a great form of self publishing and the world of T-shirts is a bottomless one. I was lucky enough to be literally given the concession to sell aviation related T-shirts at the sea plane base at Oshkosh Wisconsin during the annual fly in there. I did it for 25 years before it just got too expensive to pull that off each summer. But over those years, I sold thousands of shirts and was always very proud of my work and when the people would pay me a compliment on my skills, I always replied with a simple "thank you ".

at seaplane base (2).jpg
    I feel very fortunate to still be involved with artwork, and I still create pieces that are totally different than what I used to do. When I see the weekly contributions here on the FAS, I am just amazed at the skill displayed. Works by Robert Williams just amaze me at his ability to really put in the great detail, and when it comes to pen and ink, this weeks contribution by Jeff Norwell, " the bible " is a perfect example of what I consider to be exacting detail.

All of the contributors that come here each week to post what ever they have created, is an ongoing teaching class in what can be accomplished if one just gets creative and goes for it! That being said, we all have to use what ever skills we have and what ever our imagination will provide us.

The best compliment I ever got, was one year, when in the terminal at Chicago's O'Hare International Airport, a person that was coming down the escalator, was wearing one of my T-shirts from a couple of years before. I just looked and smiled, because this person was a total stranger and was wearing one of my designs. When an artist is in a place that he doesn't live, and see's a total stranger wearing a design of his, that is a rare treat that most never get to experience.

So to HotRodJack33, indeed you do have great skills, and I am sure your designs have been in a lot of magazines and on a thousands of posters and T-Shirts. That in itself is a great reward, random compliments from those that have admired your work, is just a bit of icing on the cake so to speak. YMMV.
    "Positive wins over negative every single time"

firetruck and logo (3).jpg
    old fashioned (2).JPG

oldsjoe, JOYFLEA, R A Wrench and 33 others like this.
  24. Zykotec

Zykotec

Fantasy altered gasser from the early 60s with a European body. IMG_20200911_202021_857.jpg

As for the discussion of talent, I'm pretty sure I didn't have any artistic talent from birth. I've just loved doodling, and loved cars my whole life, and I can't sit still for very long without getting 'itchy' hands. Even at 41, I still can't draw plants or animals or people very well.

oldsjoe, KiWinUS, pwschuh and 27 others like this.
  25. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Hmmmmmmm, guess I'm the only one that was born with "talent" then...started drawing at age 5, natural talent at art thru grade school and high school -mostly drawing cars-almost failed HS becuase of it...!!! Learned "commercial art" (think advertising agencies) in art school after graduating HS...Had a HS teacher tell me "You have a talent no machine can ever take away from you" - 'course that was 1960...way before anyone ever thot a computer would replace me...!!!
    IMG_4851 (2).JPG Today, all these years later,I still draw, I illustrate T-shirts and still use my 'talent"...none of my sisters, or brother, was gifted with art...so I tend to disagree with Jack...

R-
    IMG_4854 (2).JPG

PS., '57 Chevy commission done for a friend...markers and ink. HHR concept commission done for a street rod shop...unfortunately, it was never built. Markers and ink. Hand drawn-no computer involved...

26. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HOLY CRAP...this "talent" thing got out of hand...and it's mostly my fault...and I apologize
    What started as a stupid observation about some family crap, and my sister, turned into me not only defending my position...but sounding god damned MILITANT about the subject. What an idiot I can be (another one of my finely honed skills):eek:

Funniest part of all this is I'M NOT EVEN A REAL ARTIST...I'm just a Bonehead that, due to life's circumstances, learned to draw pretty good. And although I have had some meager success in the art field, it has never been my career...more of just a tool in my "bag of tricks"

So, Call me talented, call me skilled or just call me an asshole:p...it's all good.

27. 31Apickup

31Apickup

28. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

I feel talent can be molded, directed and with a lot of hard work can lead to the work of a master, but it can't be taught if it wasn't there to blossom by that hard work.
    I can't draw for crap o_O.Thanks to all of you for brightening up another Friday.

29. Well, this has been quite a FAS,..good discussion about talent, etc.., it's good to hear others points of veiw.
    ...here's some of my oldest scratch...
    friday art show.jpg friday art show 001.jpg friday art show 013.jpg