Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Stumbling In & Out...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Stumbling In & Out...

[​IMG]

BillyYuma, alfin32, Lepus and 10 others like this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Thanks. That sets the historical theme of the day and era of which I totally missed. :cool:

3. 5window

5window

Not a single fat or overweight person in any of those pictures. Nice cars,though, for sure.

Baumi, Driver50x, Irish Mike and 2 others like this.
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Bitchin' - Aloha

Jungle Jalopy likes this.

5. Have been looking for some vintage surfing shots for my file. Thanks!
    Jnaki ought to be chiming in any time now......

6. i wonder if the wonderful painted panel truck is still alive? :rolleyes: mighty cool stuff again, thank you!

bchctybob and Jungle Jalopy like this.
  7. Rckt98

Rckt98

I love that photo of the 31 A Deluxe Phaeton.
    I have always thought they would make a great hot rod that has been rarely done (other than the fibreglass repops that were available back in the day).

Jungle Jalopy and hotrodjack33 like this.
  8. Bob "The Greek" Bolen is a realtor in Huntington Beach now.....

stillrunners and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Back when kids were active and healthy - fresh air and the sun.

Man - being a kid back then - I wouldn't trade for anything. Great memories.
    Sun up to sun down outside at the beach/ out on the ocean ripping around on knee Hydro- Planes with 10 HP Johnson's / hiking adventures/ sandlot games /sun up to sun down pond hockey in the winter. Fixing up our cars - wash /polishing - summer cruising Friday / Saturday nights from Town down to the Docks and back or over to the Connector and race someone.

Being a kid back then - I wouldn't trade for anything.

longhorizon, Baumi, Driver50x and 4 others like this.
  10. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    Love that 30/31 Deluxe (2 door) Phaeton with deuce shell, V'ed windshield and V8 wheels. The Deluxe 2 door Phaetons were a real low production car and pretty rare....but back in the 50's, it was probably "just another old car":cool:
    1930 & 31 Phaeton combined production totals
    [​IMG]
    Standard 117,849
    [​IMG]
    Deluxe 6,175

11. fortynut

fortynut

In my bumming around proto-beatnik days, I found myself sleeping in the lifeguard tower on Waikiki Beach and doing odd jobs to eat. One stint was as a janitor for a company close to the Velzey Surfboard,et al. My existence was lower than low and a trip up to North Beach made me want to either dig in, or go back to college. Existentialist decisions in the face of fun. It takes bucks to exist even in the world of those cool ass rides. And, yeah, I was digging on the panel. I went back to the mainland to art school. Lord. Still think of what might of been. Bought a 54 Chevy Sedan Delivery as my daily scoot in Memphis. No nice pictures as I was schizo about Cubism, Dada, Abstract Expressionism and Pop. My thinking on the subject of influences in that rubbery time was 'Big Daddy' Roth at one time worked at Knott's. On the other hand, Boyd Coddington was at Disney. Jim Jacobs worked for Roth, Thom Taylor designed for Boyd. As to George Barris, he was a man of many influences and those with the money got his attention first. As a maker of props for the movies, his imagination was unleashed in ways I think it surprised even him. Certainly his Batmobile was as Pop as Warhol's soup cans. And, not to leave out Von Howard. His father egged him on, especially if we are to believe the old man designed the iconic Pest Control Character, that might have been his alter ego and that damn hammer must have played havoc in Jr.'s subconscious for him to dig as far back into our collective miasma to come up with a flying eyeball, that if you ponder it is always watching and can see you from places where you might not think to look. Pure paranoia, especially since the eye in the Pinkerton logo says, 'We never sleep'. What a time, and what an ideal lifestyle. No fat. Just go to the county line up Ventura way and watch them come out of the water like seals in their wet suits, now. And, enjoy the food at Neptune's Net. Life is good, if you ain't broke.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    alanp561, Baumi, wheeldog57 and 4 others like this.
  12. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like a pretty good time to a guy who grew up on the east coast in the 70's!

13. brady1929

brady1929

Man o man! I wasn't alive then. But it must have been a great time to be alive.

14. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

Great stuffs. I’ve got a bunch to ad, but I gotta go work on Aubrey’s surf bummobile so we can go to Hanalei for a little pau hana rinse off!

15. belair

belair

That A is the tits. I bet Moon Doggie approves.

hotrodjack33 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

hahaha. See your ass soon!

Jungle Jalopy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-9-10_4-16-45.png near PCH and Main Street
    Hey, Ryan,

Nice collection of mostly So Cal photos. It was a great time to be a teenager and someone that could actually surf. Despite the Impala that I had to drive to get to Huntington Beach, the waves were really fun and sometimes, pretty good size. The trick was to learn to erase fear and paddle up the side of the pier on most days. But on huge wave days, paddling inside of the pier pilings worked, as those pilings kept the waves from being so strong. Then later, of course, the 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery was a regular there from almost morning to night.
    upload_2020-9-10_4-23-17.png
    That 1955 Chevy accident photo is somewhat of a classic photo from 1960 or later. (not late 50s) Surfboards by the Greek was opened in 1960 and closed in 1980.
    upload_2020-9-10_4-23-47.png
    The Greek Surfboard Shop was three shops West of the corner of Main Street and PCH. It was centrally located within walking distance of the pier. It was easily spotted on any cruise down PCH North or South back then. It was a popular shop. It was one of the top two surf shops in Huntington Beach at the time, the other being the top, Gordie Surfboards, just farther North on PCH at 17th St.

upload_2020-9-10_4-41-38.png
    Huntington Beach Pier

About 36 miles South, down Coast Highway, past San Clemente, was one of the most unusual places to surf. It was almost a hidden, exclusive surf beach. Owned by the U.S.Marines on this part of coastal So Cal. It was next to the official coastal area set up for Marines to rest and relax in surf side cottages and use the stretch of beach that ran for miles South of San Clemente.
    upload_2020-9-10_4-28-25.png
    Many people took for granted, the privacy afforded anyone in the parking spots at the base of the tall cliffs. This photo was a common happening daily at the San Onofre Surf Club beach property.

The collection of the late 40s-early 50s shots from San Onofre Surf Club (private back then) are great reminders of one of the most exclusive clubs in So Cal. The beach was relatively hidden from the North-South Highway by the tall cliffs. The farthest Northern area of the club’s surf areas could be seen from the highway in a quick moment, as the traffic there was usually going super fast. From the Basilone Road overpass, with binoculars, the northern area waves could be seen. But the central “shack location” and main surf break, was well hidden by the tall cliffs.

Jnaki

The surf club beach parking lot was given access by going through the Basilone entrance and driving along the shoreline Marine Base roads. That beach was a fun place to surf, with rolling waves and at times, when the big south swells came, it was challenging. One of my most fun moments was to talk to James Arness, (Sheriff Matt Dillon of TV’s Gunsmoke fame) out on the water and surfing together. Despite being so far South of Los Angeles/Hollywood, his family and others from that city area came to San Onofre Beach to rest and relax.

My parents could not get over the fact that I was able to surf and talk to him during the whole day. He was a giant guy on a 11+ foot long board. It/he looked huge on a waist high wave. My 9’6" surfboard looked teeny compared to his 11+ foot board. Of course, he was 6”7” and physically big. 10 years later, his son, (Rolf) was a world surfing champion in the men’s division.
    upload_2020-9-10_4-50-46.png

"He was the star of Gunsmoke and one of his first roles as an actor was “The Thing.” James Arness was a giant of a guy and was the nicest person to talk to out in the water. We had a nice conversation and had mutual respect for the other’s surfing skills. It was psychotherapy for free. It gave me the impetus to get over the long standing fear of a “Thing” following me in the dark."
    ANYWHERE, even in my own Long Beach hot rod garage backyard! (... I just talked to the "Thing.")

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    Rolleiflex, 40two, alfin32 and 12 others like this.
  18. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of my favorite car and surfers photos!

falcon wag.jpg

19. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-9-10_8-14-21.png Hawaii
    Leroy Grannis photo CANDY CALHOUN (L) AND ROBIN CALHOUN (R)

Hello,

One cannot get past that woody photo from the 60s era. Those two girls are the famous So Cal, Calhoun sisters from Laguna Beach, CA. They were two of the best surfers in the whole area, always out in the water at Brooks St. and Oak St. when the waves were up. Their mother, who looked like the sisters and was always mistaken as the third sister. She too, was a great surfer, looked fabulous, and was ever so friendly.

Marge Calhoun 1st Womens Surfing Champion.
    QUOTES FROM THE TOP MEN’S SURFING CHAMPIONS:

“The Calhouns were all beautiful and athletic.”

“With sun-streaked hair and radiant smiles, they were often celebrated as the feminine surfing ideal,”

“They were like Greek goddesses, each one beautiful, and together they were just overwhelming.”
    upload_2020-9-10_8-16-58.png
    Leroy Grannis photo

upload_2020-9-10_8-17-48.png
    Don James PHOTO with legend, Paul Strauch (white outfit) Marge Calhoun (purple)

When Brooks Street was pumping, the mom and sisters were always on the beach or in the line up, riding waves. They were “the” surf family of So Cal, true locals. As the term goes, “They ruled…” on the beach and in the “looks” department.

Jnaki

Not only were they outstanding surfers, they (all three) also were very easy to look at and talk to in Laguna Beach. Being out in the water at the 2nd reef at Brooks with two girls surfing the waves was daunting. It was a problem, as you did not want to keep staring or risk being clobbered by the next incoming wave. Especially, the fast, low tide scene at Brooks St. Beach. Those were great times in So Cal, especially at Brooks Street in Laguna Beach, CA. when the big, South Swell hit the area. The waves were outstanding, as were the Calhoun sisters and their famous mother.
    upload_2020-9-10_8-18-58.png
    Marge Calhoun passed away in 2017. History loses another icon.

Rolleiflex, 40two, alfin32 and 7 others like this.
  20. NoSurf

NoSurf

Great pics brother.

I am looking forward to the day when you and I can carve some water.

Stogy likes this.
  21. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

Hope all is well over there Boss

Stogy likes this.
  22. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Phil Sauer who used to own my merc had Dean Jeffries restyle it and Von Dutch stripe it, he was into the surfing culture in socal.[​IMG][​IMG]

Stogy, bchctybob and Jungle Jalopy like this.
  23. 51 mercules

51 mercules

One more pic of Phil! [​IMG]

Jungle Jalopy likes this.
  24. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

jnaki and Stogy like this.
  25. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

26. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

upload_2020-9-10_11-25-50.jpeg
    Here’s a shot of Dick Dale yuckin’ it up. Jack Haley’s logo looks a lot like a cheeseburger.

Stogy and 51 mercules like this.
  27. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

upload_2020-9-10_11-29-9.jpeg
    The jalopies of highly influential surf bum, Bob Simmons. The bald tired, RPU has a V8 in it and a hole in the flat bed so the passenger could take a poop without having to slow down the road trip. Photos are from maybe ‘48 or ‘49. upload_2020-9-10_11-28-28.jpeg

Nostrebor and Stogy like this.
  28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

motherload!

Stogy likes this.
    Stogy likes this.
  30. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]