Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you so much! It has been a blast putting years of research into play, and hopefully it'll help steer my build in the right direction. Thank you for coming along for the ride.

Hot damn! That is a thing of beauty, as is the engine in your avatar.

Hahaha I'm gonna have to have that stamped on my Alliance dash plaque.

chryslerfan55 and dwollam like this.
  2. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Next, my parts hunt took me to Whittier, California, to the home of @kill bill. I bought a pair of windshield frames from him. One stock and one with a two-inch chop. I'm gonna mock up both to see which one fits better for this version of the build. What's neat is that underneath the old paint on the old one is old chrome.

The roadster's previous owner is going to give me the original lower stanchions when I'm back in Northern California. He dug them up after I left. Since the roadster is a '30 DeLuxe, the posts that came with it are stock height and chrome. If I end up going with the two-inch chop, I am going to buy some '32 posts to match. Does anyone have some that they'd be willing to sell to me cheap? The more beat the better. If not, I plan on buying some Vintique ones.

IMG_0063.jpg IMG_0064.jpg IMG_0066.jpg
    Also, while at Bill's place, I just about died of excitement when I saw he and his son's Deuce five-window. It was the subject of last week's Jalopy Jounral column, which you can read here.
    2D6C8ED7-97B9-4A63-B1ED-463FFBED804A.jpg
    Other points of interest from that trip. The little gas station building in on Whittier Boulevard—a street that I've wanted to drive down since hearing Randy Dubb's cruising tales years ago. For those who are interested, you can read about him and his Willys here.
    IMG_0050.jpg IMG_0062.jpg

3. If you hit up @seattle_speedshop on Instagram. They have stanchions...a whole drawer full.

4. Ad a Ed Windfield Cam, Carb and head and you'll be running with the flathead V8's 70 MPH or so.

winduptoy and Stogy like this.
  5. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hopefully not until the mechanical brakes have been replaced with hydraulics. I know there are some who will tell you the properly adjusted mechanical brakes with floaters or whatever will stop as well as hydraulics. Well Henry finally changed over to hydraulics for a reason. Living in San Francisco isn't the place to find out why. JMO

6. 055C7C95-880F-4B14-99BD-49C7389A4389.png Great Thread...can’t wait to see progress... Here’s a pic of my ‘33 in Difalco Fab’s Shop in Petaluma....not only is he my cousin, but probably one of the most knowledgeable when it comes to period correct hot rods....keep up the great work..

Chuck R, Outback, Stogy and 7 others like this.
  7. I live in Seattle, another pretty hilly area(go look up the Denny Regrade)

And I gotta agree with this...and this is coming from someone who had an A with stock brakes that would lock up the tire....the problem was that it would only do it once....and then you guessed it...brake fade. Going down a long steep hill...guess what, no brakes at the bottom. This is not fun. At all.

As far as why Henry changed to hydraulic brakes I believe it had to do with keeping up with the competition.

8. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

So the reason for sticking with the original brakes for the time being is pretty straightforward: 1st, the space. 2nd, the money. I'm moving into an even smaller (barely one-car) garage next month, so I'm trying to keep the car as assembled as possible for the move.

If I had a space that was large enough—and one where I was allowed to work on the car without hiding it/being super quiet—I would be tearing it completely down and transforming it into an A-V8 with juice brakes. Unfortunately, I won't have that luxury for at least another year. I'm just trying to make it happen with what I have. Luckily, I don't drive over to North Beach often. Where I'm at in the Inner Richmond is mostly flat. That is, unless you're pushing your broken-down motorcycle :oops:

9. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Yeah, when you're the one shoving it along, even flat ground is uphill.

Woogeroo, Stogy, catdad49 and 3 others like this.
  10. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

This month, both work and personal business brought me back to my folks' place in the Metro Detroit area. I've spent the past week working on the next issue of @TRJ, catching up with my parents and driving around in "Daisy," my mom's daily driven '61 GMC pickup. It has the original V6 and a four-speed, so it's really fun to drive around town. It feels refined compared to the A! IMG_0116.jpg
    After studying Larry Watson's work, I tried painting some flames on my motorcycle helmet. I'll handle the wet sanding, orange pinstriping and final detailing next week.
    IMG_0119.jpg
    Finally, I did some research for both this build and a future issue of TRJ in Melvindale today.
    IMG_0124.jpg

11. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

This little gas station is on Main street in Orange... about 15-20 miles south of Whittier blvd. Maybe you have another picture of a Whittier gas station?

12. Loving following along already! I can’t wait to continue seeing the progress. The video of the startup was priceless!

winduptoy, Stogy and J.Ukrop like this.
  13. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Shows how much I know! Hahah

14. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

I hope you didn't miss out on a Whittier Blvd. trip in lieu of an OC tour.

15. V6, not a straight-six? I can't tell if that badge says V6.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  16. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

V-6...305 cu. In. of 60 degree 4.25 inch bore torque maker...heavy as the devil though.

Tman, kidcampbell71 and sgtlethargic like this.
  17. Sorry wasn't trying to say that you shouldn't use the stock brakes. I did and would. Just that I agreed that an upgrade is good.

Spoggie, Outback, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  18. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

BC82750F-275E-4570-9253-7C2284F617B9.jpeg This ones being built a little east of you (Livermore). I play music in the city doing porch and driveway gigs often. Let me know we’ll come play on your driveway for ya

Outback, Stogy, chryslerfan55 and 5 others like this.
  19. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And never met a gas station it didn't like.:cool:

Stogy, loudbang and ironfly28 like this.
  20. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

There is plenty of space out here by the Zoo, just lacking a driveway :)

Got lucky with a house that the garage wasnt built out.

-Jason

21. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Oh man, that would rule—and your five-window does too. I'm moving from the Inner Richmond to NOPA next week, but you're more than welcome to stop by anytime!

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think that I have some front juice backing plates, in good shape, over in my storage unit in San Leandro. I will take a look.

If I can dig them out, I will contribute them to the cause, if you like.

I used to live in NOPA, on Grove @ Central.

23. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

We play on 45th Ave often

Stogy, chryslerfan55, J.Ukrop and 2 others like this.
  24. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

Oh Tell me more.

Jason

J.Ukrop likes this.
  25. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

David is the Man to help ya with that build, It’s already happening!!!!!;). Congrats!!!!

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dang. That is a cool story from a guy who is younger than some of the coats I have hanging in the closet.
    As long as you have them in top shape and run a pretty well stock banger I don't see the issue with the mechanical brakes except that you have to be on the top of your defensive driver game. Riding a vintage Brit bike in SF should have you well prepared for that.

Stogy, J.Ukrop and Finn Jensen like this.
  27. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Ever since I was a kid, I've loved going estate sale hunting with my mom. As my Michigan trip wound down, we were able to pick up some parts for the roadster. The speedometers and floor mat were Craigslist finds, but the rest were great surprises. My mom gets credit for spotting the issues of Rodding & Re-styling in an old cardboard box, which I'm excited to add to my collection.

I was told the mirror was from a 1940s Pontiac. The license plate frame appears to be from a similar era and will clean up nicely. Does anyone know anything about these clamps? I picked them up because I thought they were neat.
    IMG_0346.JPG
    IMG_0348.JPG

28. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

29. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Back east (about 43 years ago), I had a 1963 1 Ton. It was thirsty, but I loved the song of that V-6 when you got on the gas pedal. Rusty $150 truck, patched the rust for a few years, scrapped it when it needed 19.5 inch tires.

30. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yesterday, my monthlong trip came to a close. Seeing that I flew into LAX, I was able to grab a few last pieces for the car down in SoCal. Thanks to the generosity of Cavalier George in Whittier, I now have four mechanical brake rods. While I was at his house, I was able to see his amazing Model A roadster that he has in the works. IMG_0425.jpg
    After that, I hit the road, traveling north to SF. I spotted this Graham on the way. Maybe it belongs to a H.A.M.B.er? IMG_0427.jpg
    When I got home, I was greeted by a massive pile of parts that I had ordered while I was gone. I'll get to those later. Even though I was pretty tired from traveling, you know that it didn't take me long to mock up the big pieces.

Here's the car with the stock-height windshield:
    IMG_0439.jpg
    And the two-inch chop. I'm going to play with seating position, but I think I'm going to go with this. Still on the lookout for hand-me-down two-inch chopped Deuce posts.
    IMG_0440.jpg
    The headlights will be quite a bit higher, but I just put them there to get a feel. I wish I had a straight '28/'29 headlight bar. Seeing that I already have this one, I'm just going to cut it up and use it for now. It's really starting to look like a hot rod!

Dannerr, Jacqueline, AHotRod and 22 others like this.