Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Luggage racks- -yes or no

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Texas Drifter, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Texas Drifter

Texas Drifter

Question, I'm planning on doing some serious traveling when this virus thing goes away. Can't make up my mind on whether to tow a trailer, Mullings type, or install a luggage rack on the rear of the highboy coupe and sit a trunk on it. 16 states require 55 mph and the rest 65 towing trailers. Has anyone done the luggage thing? I know there are pro's and con's to this idea so let me have yours?

dana barlow likes this.
  2. Do you have a trunk? (as in, or rumble seat?)

dana barlow and Texas Drifter like this.
  3. swifty

swifty

You must be taking your wife which is why you need more room LOL
    Wife and I can get enough in the trunk of the 32 for a 2 week trip.

Texas Drifter, pprather and mgtstumpy like this.
  4. ^ Ha ha!
    Yes, a stock deuce trunk is pretty cavernous. Especially without trim.

Texas Drifter likes this.

5. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I pulled an original Mullins trailer behind 2 deuce sedans and never paid attention to the posted trailer limits. Met many highway cops and never got a ticket. My wife and I were on the road for 2 weeks in 1986 going and coming from the LARS in my deuce roadster and had plenty of room in the trunk for all our stuff. We did do laundry once or twice.

6. We did a lot of traveling with our twin 12 year old girls in 1989 , at that time I had a 1940 Ford sedan and I built a glass Mullins trailer to haul everything we would need for the trip, luggage, ice chest, food, chairs, canopy, tools, spare tire plus it left all the room in the back seat for the girls to read & sleep while on the road. HRP

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  7. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I had the OEM luggage rack that I restored for my 35 Chevy tub, I ended up selling it to a restorer as it didn't suit the look I wanted. I now just use the back seat and floor as I don't carry rear seat passengers on trips.
    Rack2.jpg

[​IMG]
    This rodder drove across Canada in 2016 using both the trunk and luggage rack

8. We had a rack on the Vicky when three of us traveled together. For two of us we never needed the rack.
    Before we bought the highboy we stopped at a shop to see their Deuce product. We were on our way home from Florida in the Vic. We unloaded our luggage and put it in one of their Deuce highboys. It fit. A month later I bought a highboy.
    When we travel we take the same pieces whether we are in a daily, flying commercial or driving the highboy. We do stop to do laundry every five or six days, but there is no limit to how many days or weeks we can be gone from home.

Phil

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Regarding speed limits towing a trailer, I have towed a lot for many years, trailers from 7' feet to 18', loaded and unloaded, at whatever speed was appropriate for maximum speed limit, weather and road conditions and never attracted attention from police in regard to the trailers.

So, I agree with previous posts that you can likely safely disregard those trailer towing limits. Speed limits in general are determined by a variety of factors for a wide variety of vehicle types. A small two wheel trailer is not an obvious risk to public safety unless it is suffering mechanical issues or improperly loaded.

Ray

Just Gary and egads like this.
  10. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

A rack look can look cool on the right car. I wonder though about rain storms.

A trailer, if light weight, should give no problems, If properly serviced, and on good tires. The highway has shown me many trailer tires on their last day. You are savvy and I probably need not mention it. It is serious though.
    Safety chains that are not crossed are another bad bad mistake. Last be sure to place heavy things to the front.

Why the fuss? A bad trailer day can steal your dream car.

Texas Drifter, Just Gary and Hnstray like this.
  11. Another though, I use to travel with another club member that also had two girls in the back seat of his 34 sedan and he built a trailer from a Coca Cola drink box, it was considerably smaller than the Mullins trailer the only real problem with his trailer is he used small wheels & tires.

I noticed when I was following him at speeds above 55 MPH it seemed to dance around a lot. the Mullins had 15" wheels & tires. HRP

12. How heavy are the teardrop trailers that have a kitchen in the back and sleeping room? More like a camp kitchen and just enough room for a full mattress.

dana barlow likes this.
  13. Squablow

Squablow

If the style of the car suits it, I think you could use the luggage rack and a big trunk and have all the space you'd really need. A trailer can be a hassle to deal with, little short ones are often hard to back up, making a U-turn is tougher, and it's 2 more wheels on the ground to deal with, along with lights and whatnot.

It's just my opinion, but I think you either need to figure out how to get everything into the coupe, or road trip in a bigger car.

14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I built some for the Track Roadsters, pretty handy when space is limited. IMG_1817.JPG

15. wicarnut

wicarnut

Back when I had my 32 coupe a friend of mine came over and he built a custom trailer hitch to use a hitch rack as pictured to put my walker in after I had a hip replacement, I used it for my pop up tent, chairs, cooler after no longer needing walker, very handy when traveling IMO and easy removal of rack, hitch was bolted on could be removed. Pic with trick 32 insert in receiver[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    scotty t and Just Gary like this.
  16. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Typically 1000 - 1500 lbs. Some small ones are lighter, there are big elaborate ones that are heavier. But the teardrop trailers can be towed by any car, even small 4 cylinder imports. Air drag is minimal since the car is pushing the air aside at hiway speeds and the trailer is in the low pressure area. A boxy car with a streamlined trailer may even have less drag than the car alone.

How about one of these Aerolux trailers?
    [​IMG]

https://www.aeroluxtrailers.com/

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  17. Thanks Rusty. I didn't think they would weigh much. With a bare camp kitchen and sleeping area it would open possibilities for inexpensive travel.

18. squirrel

squirrel

I'd rather travel light, than pull a trailer or install a luggage rack.

19. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Someone mentioned the W word..

I'd go with a rack just for ease of parking and backing up, but if you stay in uncongested areas it's not as big an issue.

20. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

3E9AAAFB-D235-4339-89B5-12BF88A8EDFD.jpeg 862D3187-0983-407C-A32F-550419FA2EF7.jpeg

When we were building the Zipper, had a couple of small receiver tubes welded to the frame. Made a rack that fits in the receivers. Receivers double as the mounting points for the license plate and club plaque. Added a receivers to the rack for the license plate and plaque.

21. indyjps

indyjps

Id go with luggage rack or trunk on a mounted platform on the back.

Really be selective in what you need to take. Some tools, and a very small bundle of clothes / toiletries. Most hotels have washer and dryer somewhere on the property.
    PB&J for lunch, and a few drinks in a cooler that you restock along the way. Grab fruit from hotel breakfast bar.

22. indyjps

indyjps

Theres a restaurant every 5-10 miles and a walmart every 10-20 miles across the whole country, if ya need something along the way. Hanes 6 pack t shirts, throw them away as you go theyre a 1.50.

I consider the cost and time of building a trailer/ luggage carrier, VS. buy what you need on the road as needed.

No delays to build a luggage carrier. You could leave tomorrow.

Texas Drifter likes this.
  23. Texas Drifter

Texas Drifter

Well now, I certainly appreciate the thoughts. Wife can't travel in the coupe due to old injuries so it's just me. After seeing the photo of the Coupe with a luggage trunk on the rack, Ahhh- - - NO! It doesn't look quite like me!
    After moving the battery and redoing the trunk, I can take just about everything I need for an extended trip.

I'm in the process of building a small receiver hitch that attaches to the spring perch under the car. It will accommodate a extended hitch mounting a 1 7/8 ball. The receiver can stay on the car and the hitch (I'm building that also) is removed when not needed. I will post some pics when done. May help someone someday.

I'm nowhere new to towing trailers however in 2019 while traveling thru California going to the NSRA meet in Bakersfield, it seemed like the troopers were having a heyday writing tickets to virtually anyone towing small trailers and not just camper trailers. From a few hotrodders with Mullings types to cars towing small luggage things! I guess I'm just trying to think ahead. I will just stay with the seemingly small trunk. (It's not really!) Again, thanks for the thoughts. So, keep the iron up and the rubber down!

warhorseracing likes this.
  24. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Who are you, Jack Reacher?

25. rusty valley

rusty valley

i'm sure glad there is NOT a walmart every 20 miles across the usa . heck, out west 150 between gas stops is not unheard of. go west young man

warhorseracing likes this.
  26. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I'm not trying to center you out, but I wanted to put a few thoughts forward without being accused of jacking the thread.
    Since Covid19 came in, sales of RV have exploded. There were a lot of people avoiding motels because of the bedbug menace but Covid gave an extra reason for taking your own accommodation. And, there are old car get togethers like national rallies where it is impossible to get a room unless you book a year in advance.
    I can see the appeal of a small trailer for overnight or weekend outings, perhaps even longer in some cases. Some like them and some don't but there is a lot to be said on both sides.

denis4x4 and warhorseracing like this.
  27. squirrel

squirrel

I'm considering going on a long trip soon in a small car also, so yeah, there's a lot to consider.

28. phat rat

phat rat

I traveled in Ca. back in 06 with a couple of guys pulling luggage trailers with their rods and they wouldn't go over 55 mph in Ca. as they'd been stopped in the past for towing them over 55. I wasn't towing and 55 was hellish slow

29. Cal, will nail you

30. Are all the speed limit signs in Cal. 55 MPH? Do they state on the speed limit signs; CARS WITH TRAILERS 55 MPH if they allow 65 MPH? I haven't been in Cal. since 1995 so I am wondering as it will be in my future in a few years.