Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Road trip to Lead Ain't Dead via RT-666 and RT-66

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by TrailerTrashToo, Sep 5, 2020.

1. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

2020 04 07 Frenched lighted up.jpg
    Almost finished thrashing on the car - Hitting the road on Monday, need to make about 300 miles per day.

The challenge is to see new roads, or at least re-drive scenic roads. Last year, I was well into Texas before I drove on a new road.

RT-666 (a.k.a. The Devil's Highway) runs from the south east corner of Arizona, goes north through Moab, Utah and further north. Normally north-south roads get odd route numbers. The AZ road got renamed US-191 sometime in the 1980's. I have heard several speculations, including objections to The Number of the Beast and the frequent theft of Rt-666 signs.

The stretch between I-10 and I-40 has some wonderful twisty roads, great for sports cars and motorcycles. The Volvo is light and corners well, with a few hot rod touches under the hood. This will probably be my last chance to re-drive this road. I did find a couple of new roads (into New Mexico) on the northerly leg to I-40.

I intend to drive some of RT-66 (it parallels I-40 in many places). Again, I've driven parts of RT-66 before, trying for some new sights.

A must stop is the Lewis Antique Auto & Toy Museum in Moriarty, NM. Last trip, I had a discussion with him about custom headlight bezels and I want to show him what I did.

Baumi, drdave, 54delray and 4 others like this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Sounds interesting. Post pics please. Be safe.

Okie Pete, 54delray and Lil32 like this.
  3. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

SILVER ALERT
    75 YEAR OLD MALE IN A WHITE VOLVO
    LAST SEEN LOOKING FOR A REST ROOM

4. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We will all be watching your thread and Praying for Happy Trails. See ya next weekend.

Okie Pete, 54delray, loudbang and 3 others like this.

5. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Highway 666 was changed to 491 at least 12 years ago.

6. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

491 up north, 191 down south.

Okie Pete and loudbang like this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

- way down South - one Hell of a ride

54delray likes this.
  8. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

This ain't my first rodeo driving cross country in thrown together old crap (Hint: 37 states in an Off-Topic F150, 4 cylinder Cummins puts the BANG in banger). I turn 76 this month, it just might be my last rodeo...

The check list.

1. VISA card - Never leave home without at least 2
    2. AAA card - Eventually you will need the hook
    3. Cell phone - Google Maps to the next rest room - call AAA and order up a UHaul truck with auto transport trailer

Last minute preparations include an electronic speedometer that "lost it's mind". Yesterday, driving back from town, it started throwing random numbers. The cruise control used the same speed sender and it was holding a steady 55 MPH. Happened one before, maybe 3 years ago. Got home, let the car cool off. Started it back up, speedo displayed CAL - speedo had lost it's calibration and reset to the factory calibration.

Fortunately, there is a measured mile nearby, and everything is now working. Crossed fingers and downloaded a speedometer app on my cell phone...

This morning, install a fire extinguisher - If I never have needed one..., I must be about due...

Okie Pete, Baumi, 54delray and 4 others like this.
  9. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Leave in the morning. The elevation is 4,800 ft here. Route takes me down to 2,900 ft (Safford, AZ) with a predicted 108 Degrees F. About 3 hours of driving to get back to 4,800 ft - Will leave early to avoid the heat.

The last 120 miles is a delightful mountain road (more twists and turns than a constipated rattlesnake). Not sure of the maximum elevation - Hannagan Meadow is 9,135 ft.

10. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

PM sent.
    Archie Lewis is a good buddy.
    I'm at the base of Sedillo Hill in Tijeras Canyon on old US 66, Zuzax.
    I can meet you West at Rio Puerco and run thru Albuquerque to Moriarty if you're in the mood.
    Fun trip

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Okie Pete and loudbang like this.
  11. hudson48

hudson48

When I came through in 2018 I missed meeting you. I was at the old servo and the staff there pointed out your house on the hill. Maybe next time.

Okie Pete and guthriesmith like this.
  12. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

PM sent
    Great idea, looking forward to meeting you.

How about I meet you in Zuzax and we run to the Lewis Museum in Moriarty?

I turn 76 this month, and Tuesday is already a long day - Intend to blow thru Albuquerque on I-40.

Thanks,
    Russ

Okie Pete, guthriesmith and loudbang like this.
  13. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes,
    I recall that I saw you headed east as I was headed into town on a service call. I've shut down the business and retired in May, so no emergency call out anymore....first time in 48 years and it is nice.
    Yes, make sure the next time. I look forward to it

loudbang likes this.
  14. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm all in.

loudbang likes this.
  15. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Can't load pictures from this cell phone- Probability Operator Headspace...

The open pit copper mine in Morenci, AZ is huge. The highway twists through the middle of it.

Other than losing a gas cap, all went well. Desert Rat "fix". Safeway grocery store for "heavy-duty" aluminum foil and a dollar store for rubber bands. Not sure it will hold up to I-40 speeds.

16. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

No gas cap at NAPA this morning, replaced the dollar store rubber bands with a NAPA radiator hose clamp. Holding up well.

Met winduptoy about a half hour east of Albuquerque. We ran RT-66 to Moriarty, NM. I was very impressed with how quick his Model A was. He said it would be quicker without the stiff headwind.

We had a great visit with the folks at the Lewis Museum. Got pictures, can't upload them on this cell phone.

Almost 700 miles down (Tucumcari, NM), about 550 miles to go. Tomorrow predictes cold, wind and rain. Most likely will just blow down I-40, hopeing for better weather in OK.

17. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

p.s. Lots of road construction (Free undercoat).

18. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Used to be a really great salvage yard about a mile north of I 40 just east of Tucumcari. I bought a '56 Ford station wagon rear glass complete with frame and chrome for $40 there. Guy had everything in his inventory lined up by make, model and years. Watch out for rattlesnakes.

19. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good to meet up with you! It snowed here last night, less than an inch but still snow. You got gone at a good time.
    Enjoy

loudbang and straykatkustoms like this.
  20. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Praying for Happy Trails. We are enjoying following you...

54delray, OG lil E and loudbang like this.
  21. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Slept in, cellphone says 37 F outside.

Window shows light rain, less wind and a line at McDonald's drive-thru.

Switched to a winter jacket last night.

No breakfast, just coffee at this hotel. Maybe wait for junk food at a truck stop....

22. manyolcars

manyolcars

Hey trailertrash, what seats do you have in the car you are driving?

loudbang likes this.
  23. Terraizer

Terraizer

Russ, have fun and safe travels, the Volvo looks good

24. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I had to push "Show ignored comment".

The only member on my Ignore list" - "THANKS" FOR GETTING THE BUILD THREAD DELETED...

Seat is "off topic", details in build thread <sigh>. Have them other vehicles, 37 states so far.

Russ

25. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Put up for the night, about 4 hours west of Dewey.

Drove in mist to light rain all day. Quite cold and windy in the morning.

Had a driver side windshield wiper malfunction. Wiper blade was going past the edge of the windshield.

Wiper arm presses onto a splined stud that slides onto wiper shaft. 2 set screws hold it in place. Screws were not tight enough...

Since I am the guy that screwed the job up, should be able to fix it...

Slowly pry the wiper arm up and expose the set screws. Very, very carefully, because it is a bitch to put the arm back on the splines. Tighten one set screw, the other was blocked by a wire spring clip (Remember this, there is a quiz later). Pound the arm back down with a screwdriver handle.

Work ed

26. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Oops, somehow hit send...

Worked for a little while, back on the side of the road. Did I mention it was COLD & WINDY?

Take it apart, tighten the other set screw. Reassembly failed, that little wire spring clip stuck in the set screw hole - the wiper arm was less than 1/2 way on the splines.

Eventually figured out to lift the clip with a small jewelers screwdriver and pound the arm down. Lacking a 3rd hand, it took a few tries.

Monday, I was worried about vapor lock. Tonight, I think the problem was carburetor icing. The engine was stuttering and the AFR gauge went very lean. When I pulled into Love's truck stop, the idle was high.

The Volvo has a homemade cold air kit- straight from the grill to the air cleaner - What could possibly go wrong on a cold, rainy day???

Removed the hose to the air cleaner - tomorrow should be a better day.

Actually, I'm having a great time.

Russ

27. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Two time zones in two days - slept in this morning.

Cloudy, not raining at the moment. Only coffee in the lobby - got orange juice and trail mix in the car.

Using about a quart of 20W50 every 300 miles. Not available at your average truck stop. First task for today.

28. Praying the remainder of your trip is good. Thanks for taking us along and I will have to look you up this weekend to meet in person.

29. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Drive past Guthrie this afternoon.

Lunch? My turn to buy, winduptoy bought my lunch earlier this week. There is a local restaurant right around the corner.

Russ

Okie Pete, 54delray and winduptoy like this.
  30. So, guessing you made it ok?

We should be there sometime late afternoon or early evening tomorrow and will be staying at the Fairfield.

You probably don’t want to offer lunch...I am bringing my 3 teenage kids...and they eat ALOT. :D