Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration I've thunk on it for 4 years! Time to do it.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stu D Baker, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

I've had the car on the road since 1989. I stopped at a gas station in central Illinois shortly after finisjing the car, and a farmer in bib overalls walked over and told me, "Son, that's the ugliest fucking car I've ever seen. I'd rather see my sister work in a whore house rather than ride in it."

No offense taken then, and none now. I simply consider the source and move on.

2. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Could you kind of french it in somehow? Know what I mean? Like tunnel it in the grille a bit? Lippy

Stu D Baker likes this.
  3. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

^^^^Once I do the final surgery to the grill, that may be an option. Sometimes seeing things in place help to decide. Thanks for your feedback.

4. Budget36

Budget36

Now that appears to be a better approach.

Stu D Baker likes this.
  5. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I don't care what the others say, I like it. You could even get fancy and make it turn with the front wheels like a Tucker. It's hard enough to see in these old cars, extra lighting in front never hurts.

Devin

210superair and Hnstray like this.
  6. pkhammer

pkhammer

A saying comes to mind that I heard somewhere. "Just because you can doesn't mean you should". I usually keep my opinions to myself and probably should in this case because after all, it's your car. It's also a very nice looking car and I don't think that modification will be an improvement.

7. Ever consider mounting it behind the grille?

It's you car and I do remember a time when the 37 Ford was considered the ugly duckling in the Ford lineup, but when people started lowering them they took on a more desirable look. HRP

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  8. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I like the 37 grille. I just figured if you inset it just a touch it wouldn't detract from the shape of the grille and would look more custom like. JMO. Lippy

kiwijeff and Stu D Baker like this.
  9. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

My first car was a 1949 Ford with a Dealer installed fog light in the center of the grille that turned when you turned the steering wheel....

kiwijeff, Stu D Baker and Hnstray like this.
  10. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Lippy:

I never said that the light was going to protrude in front of the grille, did I? You have the right idea my friend.

Once the lamp is positioned (where I like it) into the grille, I'm pretty confident that it will look as though it belongs there. Thanks for your feedback.

11. I'm seeing it, just not feeling it. But hey, it's your car and you should do whatever you want with it. Good luck with your project and post pics of the finished product.

Stu D Baker likes this.
  12. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Actually, I already have a pair of porter mufflers on the car. Thanks.

VANDENPLAS and Elcohaulic like this.
  13. saltracer219

saltracer219

Well, it doesn't work for me but each to his own.

Stu D Baker likes this.
  14. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

I think that will take something away from the car, not add to it. Just my opinion. Can you explain to us what your inspiration is for this modification?

15. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Every time I see a LaSalle grille installed in a 30`s styled car. I think to my self it should be mounted upside down. So I understand you wanting to do this. Just do it and prove to people it can look good. Too many purists on here.

16. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not a fan but it's your car, you should do what you want. Doesn't really matter what I- or anyone else-thinks.

Chicster and Stu D Baker like this.
  17. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

^^^^^^^You're correct. I never asked if I should or should not make this modification. Moreover, I never asked for opinions on how it will look . A rather simple thread to show how I'm going about doing it. This project is a bit beyond the "bolt it to the bumper crowd". Those who think I'm messing the car up, are entitled to their opinions. I appreciate your candor.

18. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

When ya have an itch, ya gotta scratch. I get it

Baumi, winduptoy and stanlow69 like this.
  19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Given the commentary so far, why would/should he bother. For such an innocuous modification, this thread has drawn an indefensible amount of criticism. And when compared with the many genuine ‘eyesores’ that have been posted here, that often get rave reviews, it’s even more mystifying.

The mob mentality is probably the ugliest of human traits.

Ray

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  20. patterg2003

patterg2003

I was looking at the paper pattern. This may be where you are going. If there was a card board tube, or something the diameter of the intended light hole then with a couple of centering lines put on & cope the tube to fit snug to the grille. The coped cylinder would be the pattern to mark exactly where to cut the grille bars. If there is a sleeve to go around the light then it would be the pattern. In 4 years you probably have cut it out many times in your mind. Trends start with someone daring to be different.

It is frustrating that expensive parts are put in the skimpiest of packaging. Fedex and Purolator also must employ some champion field goal kickers for package expediters.

Stu D Baker likes this.
  21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Headlight screens may act as a distraction. Bob

s-l300.jpg

kidcampbell71 and Hnstray like this.
  22. Rubbish.
    People's opinion on whether this is a good idea or not have nothing to do with being a 'purist.' It's to do with whether they like the look or not.

23. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Stu D Baker, heres a Studiford. It`ll look better than this one. IMG_20200906_0001.jpg

kiwijeff likes this.
  24. Country Joe

Country Joe

I think I would like it better if it was in the grille, left or right of center. But, not my car Go with what makes you happy.

25. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Stan:

Are you trying to scare me?;)

26. Ford should have offered it as an option back in 37. Might have attracted a few more buyers that were actually interested in driving something with style.

27. williebill

williebill

This thread is a good example of why I don't post pics of stuff I've done or under construction pics of weird stuff I'm doing to my projects. There are people on the HAMB who I'd like to show, and get tips and ideas from, but unfortunately, I'd have to read replies like the popular "It sucks to me, but hey, it's your car, do what you want." ..... Those posts are worth exactly dick...
    To the guys who feel compelled to type posts like that, do us all a favor, and save wear and tear on your keyboard, and your fingers, and don't post that shit.
    I can't remember a time when anyone who's opinion I value has ever posted a reply like that. Ever.
    My opinion generally doesn't mean shit to anyone but me, and that's OK, I don't usually give a shit about most other peoples opinion, either. Exceptions being the aforementioned people whose opinions usually have merit.
    Stu D Baker, I like your car myself. Then again, my opinion doesn't mean a thing. Do your thing, man, cut it up.

28. Stu never once ask for opinions but Hambers being hambers are always going to offer their unsolicited opinions on how they would or wouldn't preform a certain task.

I believe Stu has taken the naysayers with a grain of salt, he has thought long and hard about the fog light and he might just start a trend. HRP

VANDENPLAS, kiwijeff, hfh and 2 others like this.
  29. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Do it and do it the way you like. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Jeez. I for one would like to Help do it! Go for it. Lippy

Fabber McGee, Stu D Baker and Hnstray like this.
  30. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I'm sure when it's done all the nay sayers will say boy thats cool. Or maybe not, don't matter. Go for it. Lippy

Stu D Baker and Hnstray like this.