Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1955 Dodge Wheel Bolt Pattern

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dickj42, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Dickj42

Dickj42
    from East Texas

Anybody know what the wheel lug pattern on a 1955 Dodge is? Is it 5 on 4 inch circle? DickJ

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

4 1/2'', Dick

bowie and scrap metal 48 like this.
  3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

5 on 4 1/2" same as Ford, Studebaker, Hudson and various other cars. Chrysler products up to 1970 were different in that they used bolts rather than studs and nuts. The hubs had a locating pin and the wheels had extra holes for the pin to help line them up. If you use Ford wheels you need to drill a hole for the pin. Don't break it off. And don't forget LEFT HAND THREADS on the left side of the car, right hand threads on the right hand side. This is not a hard and fast rule because a few cars had the hubs swapped over the years. The bolt heads are marked L and R.
    Toyota pickup trucks also used the same wheel bolt pattern.
    Chrysler Imperial had 5 on 5 1/2" and so did some station wagons and limousines. Some small cars like early Valiant and Dart had 4 bolt wheels.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    scrap metal 48 likes this.
  4. AndersF

AndersF

Your car should have 5 on 4,5 as the most mopar had allmost forever.
    Imperial and some other specials had 5 on 5,5
    The compacts up to 73 had 5 on 4

egads and Hnstray like this.

5. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Up to '70? I wonder how all those Mar muscle cars got their Cragars, Torque Thrusts, etc. mounted? I'm not doubting you but I am surprised. Or was the locating pin history by then?

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Not ALL mopars had the wheel bolts. Some were factory equipped with wheel studs and nuts.......like my all original ‘53 Dodge Coronet Diplomat hardtop and others I have seen. I also had a like model ‘51 Dodge and I ‘think’ it was studs too, though it’s been some time ago. All the older Plymouths I have had, and that is quite a few, have been wheel bolts.

@AndersF has it right regarding the 5 on 5 1/2” bolt circle, not 5 on 5” as stated in the OP’s post.

Ray

7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was going to college, I had a '52 Ford and a '55 Dodge that I used interchangeably. (One would break down, and I'd drive the other while I fixed the first.) I only had about 6 good tires, so when I changed cars, I had to change a couple of tires as well. The Dodge wheels worked well on the Ford, but I had to tighten the lug nuts on the Dodge wheels on the Ford every day or two, as they would constantly loosen up. Or maybe it was the other way around; it was a long time ago.:rolleyes:

8. CME1

CME1

My 1940 Dodge Business Coupe has studs and nuts. And no locating pins. The wheels are 15". I'm sure the wheels have been changed. Mabey the hubs were changed at some time. Now I am going to have to do some checking into this!:)

9. j hansen

j hansen

From MOPAR reference list. Skärmavbild 2020-09-06 kl. 17.53.52.png

CME1 likes this.
  10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Thanks to Anders and HN Stray for the correction re Imperial wheels, I change my first post.

11. My 54 Chrysler had bolts with a locating dowel.

Used jaguar threaded wheel studs ( used up to 2003 model year and going way back) 1/2” unf thread.

thread right in on the passenger side, driver side being left hand thread, I ran a tap through the drum and threaded the stud in and welded all 4 of f them from behind.

easy peasy japonesey

12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It is easy enough to tell the bolts from studs at a glance, and the bolts are marked L and R. Not a big deal if you are aware of it, but has caused a lot of grief for those not in the know.

Hnstray likes this.
  13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Mopar factory studs typically are also stamped L or R on their ends.........

AndersF likes this.