Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs How do you choose an engine for a custom?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flynn's_57, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

How do you choose an engine for a custom?
    I'm working on a '58 Edsel.
    What should I go with?
    What would you run??

I know a Y-block fits (they never came with Y-blocks, but there's "allegedly" a cheap runner close to me for sale), an FE (the one that came with it is frozen), or a small-block ford.
    Also, 6-cylinders are an option too.

I know I should probably stick with the FE, buuuuuuut... I'm not trying to rebuild an engine right now.
    Marvel-mystery oil? Should I try to free it up?
    And forget the Tele-touch!
    I want a manual trans (preferably column-shift but on the floor seems easier,)

Gas mileage for driveability could be a thing-
    But cubic inches and the "fun" factor might also be a thing.

Horse-power?
    Or mileage?

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

What's in there now? What kind of shape is it in? If it's decent or can be fixed do yourself a favor and keep it. If not, first choice is the same kind of motor if another is not too hard to get.

Otherwise how much do you want to spend? How fast do you want to go? What kind of gas mileage do you want? What kind of driving do you plan to do, and how much?
    What model of Edsel? Some were Ford based, others were Mercury based. In 1958 they came with an FE or an MEL engine, either the 361 FE or basically the Lincoln block 410 cu in.

Unless the rod is sticking through the block, rebuilding the old engine would probably be the easiest and most economical way to go.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    Apache Albert likes this.
  3. Deuces

Deuces

Put a cammer in it......

4. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

A custom should be shown with the hood closed!
    So I choose my engine for different reasons. Reliability, parts availability, in the case of my 47 Chevy, I wanted the looks and SOUND of a hot straight six. Some just get whatever is in the donor car I bought to build the car. If you can't weld and fabricate, find something that bolts in!

5. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Sounds like you have some questions you need to answer yourself before you ask others for opinions on what motor you should run.

Or I could give you the universal answer, put a small block chevy in it.

6. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree...and it's a great way to turn a $20,000 Edsel into a $50,000 Edsel;)

mcsfabrication likes this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

Two different answers, so it won't be much help to you....

buddyamigo and firstinsteele like this.
  8. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

I guess I'm a tridictionish. I enjoy seeing a kustom with a motor of the same time period as the car being shown. Don't get me wrong the late model technogage is great. My $0.02

31hotrodguy likes this.
  9. Deuces

Deuces

:D:D:D

48fordnut and 31hotrodguy like this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

...by spending $80,000

11. I agree totally with chopolds 100%
    For that reason you can get away with anything. For me were I doing that project today it would be a F.I. 5.0 with an a.o.d. hands down. You'll be surprised how easy it will go in place and you don't need to buy any Kit Crap to do the job. Leave the hood closed and don't tell anyone. You'll never regret it. Plus the fact they are everywhere and they are cheep.

RICH B, JeffB2, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  12. Apache Albert

Apache Albert

Sounds like you need to figure out what parameters you want first. Thousands of engines to choose from and all are different in one way or another.

I'd use the original engine with a bit if work done to it. Cheapest and keeps the originality factor.
    Albert

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Yes be Different and use a Cumming Diesel in it & build your Kustom
    around it !

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

Apache Albert and 31hotrodguy like this.
  14. Is there an Edsel out there worth $20K ?

15. RmK57

RmK57

390-428 would be my first choice and the easiest if the E-400 is not a runner. All your engine brackets, mounts are their for another FE swap. Just plop another one in their.

51 mercules, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  16. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

You seem to be out of the ball park. The answers will all depend on how much work you want to do and how much money you want to spend. If time is important, then get someone to do the big parts, rebuild the motor/transmission, while you do the suspension and braking systems. If not, send it to a reliable shop for the big change overs.

You have to know what you can actually do or know how to farm it out to someone who does. The Edsel is an oddball car from the beginning. The motor can be anything you want, purists can go huddle up in their own group and complain. But, it is your build and money. It would be nice to not have to get a clunker frozen motor and not worry about whether it will run or not. Don't take all of the old "tear it apart" frozen motor stories as being fun. A nice rebuilt motor or small crate motor has all of the necessary stuff you will want.

Jnaki

The Edsel can be a cool looking custom if done well. Get the car running and then think about additional custom stuff to make your car stand out. If the small crate motor can hold up to the additional power, get a one of a kind McCulloch/Paxton Centrifugal supercharger for looks/sound/power. Then there is no reason to keep the hood closed. Attention is what you want in your Edsel, attention is what you will get with a supercharger, especially if it is a McCulloch/Paxton centrifugal unit.

As far as the auto transmission is concerned, it is a rarity to see a stick shift Edsel. With the power in your crate motor or rebuilt one with the McCulloch/Paxton Centrifugal Supercharger, that is plenty of go power auto or stick. Plus, those push buttons are a classic commodity. If you get the buttons/steering wheel to work well, there is your conversation starter.

17. squirrel

squirrel

If you think you might want to use the original engine, then you need to get into "rebuild an engine" mode. I wouldn't bother with snake oil and trying to free it up, instead I'd take it out and put it on a stand and pull the heads and pan and see how things look. This takes several hours, and you will end up with a pretty good understanding of where you are.

The easiest swap would be to an engine that's just like what's in it. I assume since you mentioned that it has an FE engine, that it's one of the smaller Edsel models, and not an MEL engine. If you can find a good used running 352, 360, or 390, that would be the easiest swap. But, they're scarce these days. And you'd still have the transmission issue to deal with.

So....your best bet is probably to do some looking at the front of the frame of the car, and the engine oil pan, and see what type of other engine would fit easiest. Chevys used rear sumps, and are pretty easy to find. Older Ford cars used front sumps, and it might be relatively easy to find a donor. Ford trucks usually used rear sump pans. Getting a newer engine (1970s-mid 80s) with a carb and a non computerized automatic transmission that matches it, usually ends up being the second easiest swap to do

18. Edsel was an Odd Bird and even he was smart enough to dump the Tellatouch shift junk in 59. The best part of that system is that the 57/8 Ford stuff is a direct bolt in change over.

19. squirrel

squirrel

If it's a small 58 Edsel, yeah. If it's the Merc based big 58 Edsel, not quite as easy, is it?

20. Anything that runs good coupled to a transmission that works properly. Modern would be better for gas mileage and driveability. Fuel injection would be a big plus. Customs need the hood closed to keep the lines flowing.

21. As Squirrel says, any 352-390 with a FORD C-6 is a direct bolt in. 5.0 aod only requires a light front motor mount work to be a bolt down on the frame. It'll clear all the steering.

22. Correct, the MEL is like Lincoln

23. squirrel

squirrel

Do the oil pans all clear? I'd be kind of surprised if they did, but I could be wrong. The older Ford cars used front sump, trucks used rear sump, 80s mid size and small cars had split sumps (two drain plugs).

24. Right, he needs to stay front sump. I'm quite sure all FE model pans interchange and he has on on the motor in the car now. Would be just a gasket and change the pump pick up accordingly.

25. This would also apply to any small block motor. It needs to be front sump not the double sump pans.

26. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Don't overlook the unusual Teletouch pushbutton transmission. That is the one with pushbuttons in the middle of the steering wheel. All automatic Edsels had this feature in 58. IF the car came with an automatic and if you don't want to change the trans, steering column, shifter system etc then you are stuck using the same family of engine it came with, either the FE 361 (standard on the smaller models) or the MEL 410 (standard on the big Corsair and Citation, optional on Ranger and Pacer).
    This is why I suggest rebuilding the original engine if possible. If it is the FE I believe rebuild kits are available from the usual suppliers like Summit for a few hundred bucks.
    You Ford experts can tell us if a later 352, 390, 360 etc FE will bolt up to the 1958 trans and what parts it might be necessary to change.

27. squirrel

squirrel

I think he intends to overlook the TeleTouch, whatever it takes

28. Special Ed

Special Ed

Answer these basic questions, and your choices can be narrowed down rather quickly.

29. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you have unlimited time and money take it to a good hot rod shop and start writing checks
    If you don't have unlimited time and money find a 57 58 or 59 Ford with manual trans and cabbage the steering column, pedal assembly, shifter mechanism etc. That is, if you have a Ranger or Pacer.

Personally I would try to free up the engine, if it is too far gone rebuild it, if the rod is sticking thru the block find another FE motor. I would keep the original trans and Teletouch, it is one of the unique features of the Edsel.

30. squirrel

squirrel

It might be that messing with mechanical/electrical stuff is not his forté....which is something I've found to be the case with several guys who are into body customizing. If you work on old pinball machines as a hobby, then the TeleTouch is for you. If not...probably not...

Baumi likes this.