Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Let's talk Cadillac 331's, 365 and 390's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I've just got a couple of cores. Mine are missing a lot of parts as well. I have pondered swapping over to a small 450 CFM Holley.

loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I might just have to go buy this issue of hotrod! It’s been awhile since I bought a hot rod mag!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. They are not progressive. This is a stock linkage for the ‘56 Eldo Rochester 2x4. Just threaded rod. I popped in electric chokes from ebay, super cheap, they work great. I want to eventually switch to manual chokes, also available on the Bay. My engine bay does look like shit tho’ , I like Mad Max more than Chip Foose. You may want more polished stuff, of course.

I got this dual quad set up on Ebay a few years ago for a few hundred bucks. Proper carbs and linkages, but the carbs were both frozen and missing pieces, including the chokes and other stuff. I grabbed a bunch of shitty cores from the Bay, managed to wiggle the shafts free, and get this working really well. It happens to be Rochester rather than Carter. But I like Rochesters and messing around with tuning, it really brings the 390 to life. For real.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  5. Thanks Clunker! That helps!

loudbang likes this.
  6. Also, I bought this online years ago. It may or may not be of use for someone dealing with Carters, but it may be useful for someone dealing with Rochesters, so I will put it here in this thread, which would be the likeliest place it might help someone. IMG_0577.JPG IMG_0578.JPG IMG_0579.JPG IMG_0580.JPG IMG_0581.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Jet96, rod1, warbird1 and 3 others like this.
  7. More good stuff! Thanks for sharing.

8. Roothawg

Roothawg

He's a hamber as well.

31hotrodguy and loudbang like this.
  9. WTF really

WTF really

10. Roothawg

Roothawg

Hey guys, I have been digging through the archives looking for a tech piece where a guy took a distributor out of something like a an Olds and machined the housing to ft a Caddy. Anyone remember that?

11. TERPU

TERPU

Small Block Chevy Magneto, tach drive type. The metal shaft type like a Ronco/Vertex/Scintilla. Then I just machined a base using the original Cad for dimension. Then cut the Chevy one to length and to accept the Cad gear and pump drive. Tigged the two pieces together and the rest is shocking history. Cheapest Cad Mag ever made. Even Tom Cirrelo liked it when he recharged it.
    Just remember to hone the bushing as it gets a little tight after welding.

- Tim

12. Hi Roothawg, I didn’t do that but machined a sleeve to adapt a SBC Spalding flamethrower to fit a Cad, what are you looking for info wise?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    Bowtie Coupe, loudbang and Roothawg like this.
  13. chrisp

chrisp

I don't know if it's mine you're talking about but I posted a couple of pictures years ago of the dizzy I machined for my 390. I started off with a summit 2 piece Ford unit, I can't remember if it was a 351C or W and machined a whole new stanchion for it, the top part just bolts on as the summit unit, I bored the Cad gear to match the shaft and redrilled the shaft for the pin.

Bowtie Coupe, loudbang and Roothawg like this.
  14. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

How would these work? Is it because it's a magneto? Cadillac spins the opposite way of small block Chevy. I was talking to a guy on instagram who machined an adapter ring to use an Olds 303-324 distributor, its a little easier to find a Mallory for one of those, but he was pretty cryptic on what was actually involved or wanting to sell any parts.

warbird1 and loudbang like this.
  15. F3B9BE02-AAE5-4C06-9428-CE04BE043ECB.jpeg The Spalding is a distributor, I just had to change rotation of it,machine a sleeve to fit the Cad block. I machined the Chev diameter down slightly and sweat it on with a bit of heat.
    As the shaft diameter was the same,just shorten it and drill for the drive pin.

prez, Roothawg and loudbang like this.
  16. Roothawg

Roothawg

I don't remember who it was, but it was an actual thread on it. It may have been ChrisP. I was just surfing the web looking for Caddy Magnetos and they are hard to come by, so I thought about trying to find something that was close and modifying. I don't have to use a mag. I just don't really want the mag look alike HEI. That's really the only option for new, that's out there.

loudbang likes this.
  17. chrisp

chrisp

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was originally ordered for a Pantera but not used, I can't remember if it's because the car had a 351 Windsor or the guy ordered a Windsor dizzy. I just recall it was rotating in the same direction as the Cad, the size was about right and easy to modify. That was 7 years ago and I'm not getting any younger...

18. Roothawg

Roothawg

I’ll take 2, thanks.

19. Beautiful work there, completely new housing, makes mine look agricultural.

31hotrodguy, loudbang and Roothawg like this.
  20. TERPU

TERPU

It works, but when I sent it to get recharged I asked Tom to change the cam lobe for Cadillac. The magneto doesn't care which direction it spins

Roothawg, 31hotrodguy and loudbang like this.
  21. chrisp

chrisp

Thank you, but the summit design is a 2 piece design, so I only had to machine a new lower part just below the head so it's really easy, think about it, I'm a bodyman not a machinist and I have 0 training in the trade.
    Roothawg, wish I could, that would be fairly simple and cheap since it would requier to machine only the stanchion and you sourcing the summit dizzy but nowadays being 2020 I barely have time for myself, to make it short my dad died in early april, by the end of April my mom had a stroke, she is now paralyzed from the neck down and mute and I'm taking care of her part-time, so the days are extremely short.

Roothawg and loudbang like this.
  22. When I did mine, I couldn’t machine it down to original size as it had to take the sbc housing. Nice job you did though, you sound as if you have the same machining experience as I have.
    Sorry to hear your situation.

Roothawg and loudbang like this.
  23. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

My condolences for the loss of your Dad, and pray for you in this time of helping take care of your Mom!

24. chrisp

chrisp

25. Has anyone heard of a pre 60 Cad block that has successfully been converted to full flow oil filtration?
    With all the talented and knowledgeable blokes that would have looked at this possibility over the years I kind of think if it could be done it would have been done.

loudbang likes this.
  26. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

loudbang likes this.
  27. Roothawg

Roothawg

28. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I shouldn't show this with out the blower but it just came in the mail. Anyone have a spare 4-71 blower? IMG_20200925_172745839.jpeg

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

louisb, Jet96, 31hotrodguy and 5 others like this.