Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Does a property owner " OWN" an " abandoned " car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by King ford, Sep 2, 2020.

1. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i suppose that's an example of "adverse possession." possible that the neighbor could file a mechanic's lien on it...

2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'm lost here. If it was your buddy's dad's truck, then what's the issue? If it's sitting across the property line I'd not even contact the neighbor. Is there some reason you'd even need to go on his property? Why can't you simply hook onto it on your buddy's side and pull it all the way across?
    I don't think we're getting the whole story here. This just doesn't add up.

LWEL9226, Gasser 57, chopped and 2 others like this.
  3. MARKDTN

MARKDTN

Strange-I registered a '65 Mustang this year that had not been tagged since '88. I had a title and bill of sale. No issues. I'm in Chattanooga.

4. Apache Albert

Apache Albert

Neighbor does NOT own it. By state, the truck will be owned by the last person it was registered or titled under, ie the father. The neighbor would have to call it an abandoned vehicle and apply for it as such.. otherwise hes blowing smoke.

Some states do bonded titles which is how I got my truck title after sitting for 14 years. You trailer the truck to the dmv where they check the vin, fill out how you got the vehicle, and let them take care if the rest. It takes some time to get it but it'll be in your name. Mine took 9 months.

Albert

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

1946caddy likes this.
  5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I think I'll start a thread, not give enough details for any reply to be useful then not come back and chime in with my plan.

56don, Budget36, partsdawg and 9 others like this.
  6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

7. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

In NC you are supposed to file a form with the state after a vehicle has been abandoned on your property or at your business for 10 days. That starts the process of a storage/mechanics lien. Here it takes about 3 months from start to finish to receive a court order telling the DMV to issue you a title. But even then the DMV has refused to issue a title depending on the condition of the vehicle. I would try and work it out with the guy that has the truck.

8. badvolvo

badvolvo

Leave it on my property, it's gonna be mine. Go sneaking around on my property, could get you shot. Come to my front door and talk to me, you might get what you're after.

Apache Albert, TagMan and dan c like this.
  9. 2935ford

2935ford

Since your buddy is not the owner (unless proof otherwise), I suggest the Police first but I imagine your buddy will have to do it with some sort of proof. It is his fathers truck. If the Police are unsure or don't want to bother with it, a lawyer is next but again it will be I imagine on your buddy to file.

Good luck!

10. 5window

5window

Well, now. I think you'd better check your state laws as each state differs. And, I guess you better hope the person coming for the car doesn't have a bigger gun and faster reflexes than you. Going to jail or getting shot over an old abandoned car is maybe macho, but also just stupid.

Now, it would appear that the OP is in New Jersey, so everybody else's state situation is meaningless. The owner of the car is entitled to the car. If the grandfather died with a will, then somebody is heir and owns the car. They just need to apply for the proper paperwork, call the sheriff and go get the car. If the property owner has applied for a title to the abandoned car (https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/vehicletopics/abandoned.htm) successfully, then he is the owner.

Discussions without knowledge of the law or threats of unwarranted violence are just peacocks strutting around.

Budget36, WB69, clunker and 4 others like this.
  11. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Knock knock....I’m here to get my truck, you wanna beer while I hook it up? what could go wrong?

Apache Albert, Driver50x and alanp561 like this.
  12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Tell your buddy to get it straightened out since he “inherited it “ and go take a nap . Pay your buddy $ to cover his troubles , repair any damage to the property owner and palm him a hundred dollar bill .

F-ONE likes this.
  13. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

My suggestion, you talk to the property owner. Ask them how much they want for the truck.
    After 20 years parked on neighbors property ... myself I would feel ownership, more then the kid who's father parked it on the neighbors property years ago to begin with, then abandoned it.

If there is a title that can be looked up, was kinda abandoned when the vehicle was abandoned. I personally feel the kid who is trying to give or sell his fathers truck, he has no right to it.
    Talk to the property owner, I suspect he knows the law and see what he wants to sell it for?

14. If you are going to sneak on the other side, latch onto and drag it back. He can claim criminal trespass property damages, grand theft auto, and prove the truck was there by reviewing satellite views back 20 years via Google Earth. Bad situation that could be nil if you just go knock on his door. If he says NO then resort to another method like getting a replacement title then taking legal possession by threatening him with grand theft auto.

F-ONE likes this.
  15. 8flat

8flat

I ran into this EXACT situation with my '33 5 window coupe. We have a big ranch in our family, 110yrs now, and my dad and his siblings sold a little corner of it....and right afterwards I discovered our family's old coupe was there! No title since my great grandparent's house had burned down with the paperwork. No vin plate since chevy used to put them on floorboards and they were rotted out and gone.

Went to the landowner, he said oh this car is worth big dollars (yeah sure), so pay me. I went from super excited about this coupe, to pretty bummed.

My great uncle, who used to drive the car when he was a kid in the '40s, called the landowner and said we'd like our car back. Out of respect, the landowner/neighbor begrudgingly sold it to me for $100. He didn't even know the car was on the land he bought from us until I found it there, half buried.

Hopefully you can work something out with the guy.
    My coupe:
    110-1056_IMG.JPG 110-1057_IMG.JPG

16. clem

clem

^^^^^ where do we find the build thread on this one ? Thanks

Torkwrench and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. 8flat

8flat

Well Clem that would require me actually getting started on a build haha. I basically got it sodablasted and zinc coated, gathered up the other body parts I needed, then stored it in the barn until my other project is done. This is where I got it to though: (sorry for the thread hijack, but thought it's good to share a good news story about cars on neighbor's property):
    IMG_0521.JPG After soda blasting.JPG

18. Dig a tunnel underground that ends right under the truck, go get the neighbor to walk back and access the ol girl, as you're standing near it bounce up and down so it falls into the tunnel. The neighbor will be so freaked out from the "sinkhole" he'll want nothing to do with the truck, go down the tunnel and pull the truck out and have fun !

49ratfink, clem and 8flat like this.
  19. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

With the help of the local cops, as in the comment I quoted.

egads likes this.
  20. Wow.
    Just wow.
    Can I come over and drag stuff out of your yard?

...it's been there a while...

WHY BE ORDINARY ?

chopped and clem like this.
  21. Hutkikz

Hutkikz

Well if it's in New Jersey like it appears you are.

Then here is the procedure: https://www.state.nj.us/mvcbiz/pdf/Abandoned/Private Property.pdf

"This procedure is for vehicles abandoned on New Jersey private property. By law, all vehicles must be put up for public sale/auction. However if a sale cannot be completed through an auction the property owner may apply for a title in their name only."

22. Wow. Better be one hell of a truck. I never even put that much effort into getting laid when I was a teenager.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

egads, TagMan and Chris like this.
  23. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Wise
    Good
    Sound advise!

24. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Two things come to my mind that need to be answered. 1. Is the truck totally on the neighbor's property ? 2. You say it is returning to the earth, so can a set of tires help it across the property, or is it dug into the ground & will require some digging out & tearing up the man's yard? You didn't state why the gentleman said he won't tell you when you can come get the truck. Did he tell you why? Does he want it, does he not want his property tore up, or is he just an old grouch who hates people bothering him? How about the person inheriting the truck, or the wife of the deceased original owner talking to the property owner for you. Maybe there is some bad blood between neighbors, that you can convince the property owner you are not a part of. All things not addressed. Shed some more light on the subject. How about some pictures to let us know if it is even worth the fight.

25. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

in missouri, EVERYBODY has a "will." if you die "intestate," a probate court will sort out your estate.

26. sunbeam

sunbeam

Can the property owner charge you storage?

27. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

28. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

If the guy is a car lover, and genuinely wants the truck, leave it alone. If the guy is a jerk that wants to keep it to spite his neighbor...
    Make a fake, weathered, aged title. Go ask the neighbor if he would like to purchase the title.
    It should put enough doubt in his head about the lengths he’ll have to go through to prove it’s his, or the paperwork he’ll need to go through to get a storage/mechanic’s lien.
    Only be a jerk to a jerk.

uncleandy 65 likes this.
  29. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this thread and a big thank you to all who replied!!! As sometimes happens life got on the way of this thread and this project...also spell check changed " will" into " won't " ...to clarify a few things my buddy's mother and father had a very small piece of property and the truck was parked on the neighborhoods property when the father died I believe. It has sat there so long 3 to 4 inch trees have grown up around it. When Toms mother started getting dementia and her property went up for sale the neighbor put up a fence between his property and Toms mothers. The only way to get it out is #1 take down the fence, turn the truck 90 degrees and drag it through the small trees about 20 feet or #2 drag it , dodging trees about 50 feet to the neighbors asphalt driveway.....Tom told me he couldn't find the title but had it years ago. I asked the neighbor about getting the truck off of his property nicely!! The neighbor said he WOULD let me know when I could get it...almost a year ago now...it's not like I need or REALLY WANT a 1937 FORD pickup but this particular truck is something I have seen and admired since I was a kid. And lastly I really HATE to see early iron return to the earth...thanks again to all who replied!!!

30. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Greetings again from south jersey!! Thought I'd throw a little more info out there ..my buddy Tom moved out of state shortly after the sale of the property. The property owner where the truck sits has no interest in the truck but says he doesn't want his property torn up...I assured him I am a stand up guy and gave him references to check out, assured him the property would bi in as good or,better condition...I am well aware of what old tin is worth ( I own approximately 15 vintage trucks and one 1939 FORD TUDOR!!) , again I just have a little sentimental value, don't want any big hassles, don't want to be a dick but if the law was on my side maybe I could sway him a little bit...and still definitely leave his woods looking good!! MANY THANKS TO ALL WHO REPLIED!!!

Apache Albert and clunker like this.