Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Steering column end cap bearing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RUSS BUCKLIN, Aug 29, 2020.

1. How are joining the shaft to the smooth bore joints?

Happydaze likes this.
  2. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Generally , if it doesn't " look" right , it isn't !

3. fordor41

fordor41

UHMW tends to absorb moisture and swell. I used moly impregnated nylon 6/6.. Check out McMaster - Carr supply for ready made bushings or nylon stock.

4. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@RUSS BUCKLIN, please do pay serious attention to this subtly phrased, but very crucial question.

Do be very clear, the two grubscrews are simply to hold things together and are not suitable as the source of transmission of effort between the components, as it appears from the photo might be what you are trying to achieve. Rich B and I could be wrong in our assessments. I sincerely hope so!

Serious life dependent stuff this.

Chris

5. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

Rich, you make a good point, I will cut a new piece and phase the joints correctly.

6. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

The steering shaft and the small section between the ujoints are the type of joint with two flat sides, don't recall what that is called, but they are a tight fit and the set scres just hold them from being pulled out, not to stop them from turning inside the joint. The end that connects to the steering box is splined.

RICH B likes this.
  7. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

DD joint end, does that sound about right? And Chris, thanks for the warnings, appreciated. FTR, while by no means an expert and definitely looking for all kinds of good advice, this is not my first car build so not a complete newbie either.

8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

NOT enough angle in the joints to worry about phasing.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@RUSS BUCKLIN .......May I ask...what is the origin of the steering box you are using....and is it manual or power?

Ray

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First post says power steering.

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Thanks Gimpy! Another illustration of my slipping mental faculties.....missed that. So, one question answered....still would like to know the OE application of the steering box.

12. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

Ray, I bought the power steering kit off Ebay from a seller called EZSteer. Listed at $995 OBO, I bought at $800+sh
    If I had to guess I would guess it's a tri-fives box with custom bracket to bolt to the original steering box holes. The original pitman arm will not work but a new one comes in the kit along with a Saginaw pump and bracket.

Hnstray likes this.
  13. Delrin works fine for a bushing. It is easily machined and is available in convenient diameters.

olscrounger likes this.