Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical I believe I recieved some bad new tires... summit cokers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by F-ONE, Sep 3, 2020.

1. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I ordered a set of Silvertowns for my 51. I'll have a photo tomorrow.
    One looks like a tire.
    The other two that are wrapped together look like bowls. One side of the tire is collapsed into the other. Both of the wrapped tires are this way.
    The fourth tire is still in transit.

On the possibly damaged tires the entire sidewall is pushed into the tire. A better way to explain it, is the side wall is completely cupped into the inside of the opposite side wall. Instead of a bulge the entire side wall collapses with the tread edge being....well the edge. There's no bulge that side of the tire. The whole sidewall is collapsed inward. The sidewall being collapsed in this manner makes the tread flare out at about a 45 degree angle. The tread is not flat, it flares out with the sidewall collapsed inward.

Like I said, this makes these tires look like a bowls.

I have gotten bias plys before and they did not look like this. These tires look like they've had an engine stored on them.

Are these damaged?
    Have any of you received tires this deformed? I know they can come almost as flat as a pancake but this is really bad.

2. call and ask Coker.
    I would cut blocks of 2x4s six inches long and jamb them between the beads. leave it like that for a couple days.

34 GAZ, F-ONE, swade41 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

maybe they had heavy boxes on top of em while they were in transit,,, I would unwrap em and put inner tubes in them and inflate a little to see if they look like tires. sometimes I do that anyhow on "wrapped" tires, stretching them for a couple of days helps make it easier to seat the beads

4. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

I just bought a set from Diamond Back , they came wrapped in pairs really nice . I noticed on the wrapping there were notes saying do not stack. Sounds like your were stacked improperly. ,I would take pics send to summitt see what happens. Otherwise, you might do as some others suggest and perhaps set them out in the sun . As you describe them , it would be very hard to get them mounted without a tube.

Black_Sheep, F-ONE and Elcohaulic like this.

5. alchemy

alchemy

John Worden had some tires that came with cracks in the sidewalls. Definitely take pics of yours before you unwrap them and at every point of the install in case you get cracks.

F-ONE, lothiandon1940 and alanp561 like this.
  6. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Cokers are made overseas. They sent their molds over, long before they even sold out.

F-ONE likes this.
  7. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

race tires are always shipped and stored that way

8. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

I would put some tubes in them, enough air to bring them to shape, then set them in the sun.
    They should regain shape without too much time.
    Bias tires sit over night, get flat spots. takes a couple miles to get them warmed up and round again.

Not a pretty sight to see them like this, specially for the amount of $$ they cost, I have seen tires like this before and if there is a problem, it is not from what you describe.

9. Mine looked like that until I mounted them, then they looked like a tire is suppose too. HRP

Driver50x, F-ONE and Elcohaulic like this.
  10. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Some photos would really be nice, so we could see for ourselves.

11. ken bogren

ken bogren

I wouldn't unwrap them until you contact the seller and Coker.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    F-ONE likes this.
  12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

There’s a couple posts about this. Apparently super common and not a big deal

F-ONE likes this.
  13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unless the bead is visibly damaged I wouldn't get too excited about it and do as others suggested either with inner tube or blocks and some hot sunlight. Could be as simple an explanation as some fat ass shipping dock worker decided to plant his ass in the middle of them to eat lunch or something heavy got put on top of them in a truck during transportation.

14. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

ALL tires looked like that From shipping before the side wall got stiffer and shorter on newer tires. Mount them up and run them, they are good.

clem and Tim like this.
  15. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

No dock worker is going eat lunch sitting on a tire, sorry ( I am a dock worker) and tire don’t work well to put heavy things on most of the time the tires would go on top. Tires are laced (stacked at angels like a hailing bone pattern) in the over seas container when being shipped from god knows were.

F-ONE and Tim like this.
  16. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

17. leon bee

leon bee

Use a lot of ether when mounting, that puffs em up real good.

18. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

stick tubes in them to stretch em out for a few days. then mount them up. they will be fine

19. No offense, but I believe these are tubeless tires and not everyone has tubes lying around.

F-ONE and Driver50x like this.
  20. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

then I guess a guy could cut some 6 inch lengths of 2x4's and put 3 or 4 of them between the beads to hold them apart

Tim, F-ONE, 34 GAZ and 1 other person like this.
  21. Post #2 & #20 is good enough. Last year i had some new 7.00 x 18, 6 ply. I had some 6 inch wood blocks stuck in there for about 6 months including the whole summer. Tubes might work on 4 ply but the blocks work better.

tb33anda3rd and F-ONE like this.
  22. Worked in a tire shop long before radial tires became common.Got lots of tires where the two beads were touching.They were fine,but it could be a fight to get the beads seated.Use to have a belt that fit around the tread.Got it as tight as I could then it was filled with air,and it forced the beads out.Still was a fight to seat them.Thats were the starting fluid trick came from.

F-ONE likes this.
  23. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Pictures look like what I have gotten before. Mounted them and went on. No problems with them.

F-ONE likes this.
  24. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I've gotten them like that too. My tire shop had a stretching machine with forks and a foot pedal, he stuck the forks in the tire and stepped on the pedal and it stretched it back out no problem. Must be fairly common if there's a machine to stretch them back out.

Tim and F-ONE like this.
  25. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

They are tubeless but 2 tubes are less than 30 bucks so I'm going to try that. I'll stick a tube in them and put 'em in the sun.
    Thanks

Squablow and Tim like this.
  26. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Or toilet paper rolls, oil cans, boxes, beer cans..

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  27. Not maybe relevant, I remember picking up assorted dirt track new tires from the tire rep and the side walls were collapsed like that......a couple of hours out in the sun.....mount em' up.... worked fine

F-ONE likes this.