Register now to get rid of these ads!

How I lowered a 1962 F-100 with an axle flip (1961-1964 I-Beam)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BIGREDTODD, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

OOOHHHHHHHH... that sounded so sweet!

Awesome video. Thanks, man.

2. kidzintha34fodor

kidzintha34fodor

How much would you charge to build me that engine? that thing sounds awesome!!!!

3. What a great video,,HRP

4. One like that can be a bit expensive. ;) But a good street engine with 300+ hp, well you'll have to contact me. I don't want to hijack Todd's thread for a shameless plug. :rolleyes:

5. Todd, I'm a bit late to the party but glad I made it. Exceptional work indeed and thanks for the details.

6. You have something to use this info on now? :rolleyes:

crminal likes this.
  7. Thanks for the comments! I still enjoy going back through the build. Glad you found a good builder...your coupe is verrrrry tempting...

Sent VIA top secret BIGREDTODD Mobile HQ

8. drtybiker

drtybiker
    from florida

I just read threw this and I am very worried about the axle flip in the 62 F-100 I recently aquired it seems I better get some u bolts and make a more stable platform for the mounting surface of the axle it looks as if the axle was flipped with just a square plat and some grade 8 bolts I dont think this will make the long haul and although the steering box was not moved up the bump steer is not too bad but I am a bit worried about the seating surface of the axle to the leafsprings .

9. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Very Cool Build, I am glad your showing this stuff especially the flip of the front axle. I am in the process of flipping the front axle on my 57 Ford F250 Shop truck and found this info very helpful.

Thanks Joe

mctim64 likes this.
  10. Thanks for the comment, Joe...and for bringing this thread back from the dead. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

Todd

mctim64 likes this.
  11. One potential problem. There is a thrust bearing between the bottom of the axle and the spindle. That thrust bearing supports the weight and makes steering easier. Turning the axle over puts this thrust bearing at the top where it not doing any good.

mctim64 likes this.
  12. The axle is not being turned over, just put on top of the spring. Literally "flipping it would mess with the caster and camber as well.

13. manyolcars

manyolcars

Plus it would make the front of the truck sit really high. Great thread!

mctim64 likes this.
  14. Andy Young

Andy Young

Thanks for sharing your build. It has inspired the 6” lowering job on the rear of my 63 unibody. I am curious what shocks you used after the mods? Any input is gratefully appreciated!

15. Andy,
    I almost always shop on Ebay for shocks by length, and get real measurements from the project I am working on. Easy enough to find the ends applicable to your vehicle, and allows for customization.

Hope that helps!
    Todd

mctim64 likes this.
  16. Brett McKendry

Brett McKendry

Hi Todd,

Appreciate all of your detial in this posting. I have done the same axle flip on my ‘51 F2, I am curious if you ever finished the build and how everything worked out. I am experiencing severe bump steer on my build. Wondering if there is anything you can recommend to correct the situation?

Thanks,
    Brett

17. The truck ran at Bonneville for several years reaching as high as 150 mph, runs straight and true with no bump steer. Like it's on rails. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Tim

565058_10202129998638478_761546943_n.jpg

WhitewallWill likes this.
  18. Brett McKendry

Brett McKendry

Thanks Tim, I just sent you a direct message.

19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

• I did this back in 1975. Never had any problems with it and ran a top speed at Bonneville of 149 and El Mirage of 152. I had more fear of a flat tire at speed than any other concern. Putting the axle on top of the springs just seemed like the easiest way to lower the car. 6E1B87E1-2E24-44A8-88D7-9515ED86B56E.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    mctim64 likes this.