Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Jumping in the deep end

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by trevorsworth, Aug 4, 2020.

1. alchemy

alchemy

If I was you, I'd just have fun getting the engine to run clean and fiddle with carb tuning on the stand. You shouldn't need to worry about advance in your distributor until you are out on the road. I bet it will be a few weeks til you are ready for a road test. Maybe a nice distributor will fall into your hands in the meantime.

RMONTY, flatford39 and trevorsworth like this.
  2. jockeyshift41

jockeyshift41
    from Florida

The hand throttle is for trucks when they have a PTO unit hooked up. Usually need a high idle speed to get pressure up. Other carbs have ported vacuum are 8BA,8RT,7RT, and Holly replacements.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Atwater Mike and RMONTY like this.
  3. So you know, the only external adjustment on your or any carb is idle air adjustment. Once up off mid idle those adjuster screws have no input on fuel air intake. For now move on. Also without the Vac advance on line just bump the timing up till it runs the best you can get it. Don't go so far it kicks back on the Starter motor. Your not going down the road yet so just get it to start and rev to low mid range. Be happy it does that.

flatford39 and RMONTY like this.
  4. RMONTY

RMONTY

That makes perfect sense.

5. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Found a decent roller with a solid truck cab for 2250 a few hours away. Ain't got the cash but gonna try to find it. Truck is what I want and this is the exact year I had in mind.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bed is pretty roached and I don't know if I want a wide bed or not but the frame and cab are all I really care about at this stage. I didn't want fenders anyway, just splash guards. Hot rod guys, see any obvious glaring problems? The frame looks kind of spindly compared to the others I've seen under these things?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    brEad and J.Ukrop like this.
  6. That's a pretty ambitious undertaking for a first time builder, not that it can't be done. My question would be "how long do you want to build before you can hit the Go pedal"? I see it's a 31 and I like Model A's. Look up my post on the Chassis under my Roadster. Simple, basic and true Old School. Your going to hear a million times 'BUY THE TARDEL BOOK", I don't buy into his method. We didn't have Rules and Guidelines when I was growing up, maybe that's why I don't think like others and never grew up. Probably why I didn't join the Tear your motor apart crowd.

Hotrodmyk and fiftiescat like this.
  7. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Within my budget anything I can afford will be ambitious, I will have to figure it out and make it work.

Metal repair is within my skillset, I can’t straighten a bent frame but I can weld patches in the body and reinforce or cut out & replace frame sections as needed. I’m not good, but I can do it.

Hard to tell from the pic if the frame is twisted or if it’s just the bed not being attached that’s making it look that way.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  8. RMONTY

RMONTY

My suggestion is to go look at it, even if you dont have the money to buy it. Familiarize yourself with what's out there. Get to know what everything looks like on several different old trucks. Ask questions, educate yourself, and you will make a better purchase the first time around. Ask me how I know!

kadillackid and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  9. RMONTY

RMONTY

Looks to me like the bed is probably just set on the frame and the frame isn't bent most likely. Notice the orange ratchet strap holding it down....

10. flatford39

flatford39

You can do better than that for $2,250.00. I agree with go look at it but I would leave my money at home until you have looked at several more. That one is not going anywhere for that price.

RMONTY likes this.
  11. RMONTY

RMONTY

I will tell a story on myself, and how I got involved with these old cars.

I quit smoking cigarettes on 12/15/2015. That netted me a savings of approximately $7300 a year. I wanted to get an old car to work on. I had seen the original chopped sedan delivery that I started my thread with on the H.A.M.B. sitting in a field for several years, and thought it looked cool. I had money in my pocket, I was on a mission to get what I (thought I) wanted. I stopped in and talked to the guy, and he said, "this is the price, I am not going to come down, it can sit there and rot for all I care, this is what I want for it!'.......not having looked at ANY other car, I bought it, loaded it up, brought it home and started going over it with a fine tooth comb. Had I known what I know now, I wouldn't have bought that car for that price. Did I pay too much? Probably! Was it worth what I paid for it? No, other than the fact that it taught me to be more informed before I made other purchases. Did I get my money's worth? Only in the lessons it taught me. Will I be able to do something with it in the future? Yes....I have gained a lot of skills by buying a better body, doing extensive work on it, and educating myself on what to do and what not to do.

Go look at that pickup. Sit in it, even if it's just on an upside down bucket, turn the steering wheel back and forth, imagine driving 300 miles in a day in it. That's about what the miles would be driving it to Austin and back for the Lone Star Roundup from your house. As silly as that sounds, you will be doing yourself a favor.

Just speaking from experience. ;)

brEad, trevorsworth and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  12. alchemy

alchemy

It might be a roller but that's not a solid cab. I can see rusty rockers from here, and I can guarantee there will be more hidden in the folds of the subframe. Notice the cab isn't square at all, with a lot of sagging at the back of the doors. Not a project for a beginner. Even an ambitious beginner.

IF the cab was solid that might be a good price. But that's not a good price for that truck.

RMONTY likes this.
  13. adam401

adam401

Dont know what the registration requirements are in Texas but youd be doing yourself a favor if that A frame has a visible VIN at least. Paperwork is a reality of life and people like to have opinions about what you do and dont need. Best to find out in advance for sure.

If that truck is registerable and you like it shoot him an offer. Id buy it. Id buy it at that price. They all need work, they all have to come apart and they all need welding. Spending a few hundred more or less on a project in the beginning will mean nothing at the end.

You can narrow and shorten that bed. It'll just be more welding in a very welding heavy process.

RMONTY likes this.
  14. RMONTY

RMONTY

Bonded title was easy to obtain for me a few yrs ago on a 1952 Chevy 4 door. Cost, about $300 if I recall.

15. sdroadster

sdroadster

People were a lot smaller 70 years ago. Unless you are a small guy the steering wheel will be in your chest, and you will have little leg room. Of all old Fords, pick up trucks are the worst. You can only slide the seat back a couple inches, and it's not enough. Secondly, years ago pick up's were used to haul rocks. They are usually far more beat up than cars. Take a look, but take your time. The right one will come along.

RMONTY likes this.
  16. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the advice. It looked pretty square to my inexperienced eye. I saw the doors were sagging but thought that was just the doors hanging loose on the hinges, the thresholds looked straight to me. Now that you say it I can see it. I guess enough material has rotted out from the rockers for the cab to buckle at the rear corners? I knew there were holes there but didn't think it looked like an especially tricky repair.

My definition of solid is maybe a little generous as well, in my search radius I'm mostly seeing totally rotted out shells with baseball sized rust holes clear through the doors for that or more.

I am not a real big feller, a couple of people have looked at me and said "you're just the right size for a model A pickup" so lol but I have never sat in any Model A at all so I don't really know what I'm in for. I figure if I don't have any preconceived notion of what comfort in a Model A should be it'll be hard to be disappointed with what I end up with.

17. At my age it's Sad to see a pile of stuff at a price like that. Just shows ya that todays Dollar isn't worth anything. That said it probably is close to 2K in pieces on todays market place. Patience is a tough thing to come by when the Fire is burning hot and that's where it looks like you are now. Also from my screen looking in I believe you need exposure to the Hobby, in other words Car Friends. Go find a local hang out, then a small clutch of people you can feel comfortable around (don't over look the Silver Backs). Connections and knowledge is what makes this hobby work. Look at how things went with RMONTY, did you ever imagine that could happen with a total stranger? We all have the same goals, you help me I help you and next Sat we'll go to a Cruze in and drink a Beer together. It's our life cycle and it's tough to go it alone.

18. RMONTY

RMONTY

Yeah, come over here, I will put your ass to work on my old car! LOL!

In all seriousness, my place is always open to just coming over and hanging out, helping if you want, watching if that is all you feel like doing.

trevorsworth likes this.
  19. What I see in that Cab and what you will learn is that tons of little holes or one big hole it don't matter. It all adds up to total replacement of the lower 12 inches of that section. Rust is part of this game. You either learn how to do Tin work or pay for it or just step up a pay a lot more and do none.

RMONTY likes this.
  20. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fair's fair... name a time and I'll be over in a short, if I can swing the gas!

That's wise.

21. RMONTY

RMONTY

trevor, I know you have been working weekends, and I work during the week, but if you can swing a weekend day to go look at that truck, let's go check it out. It will cost a tank of gas but that is cheap education. Photos can be so deceiving as you well know. Let me know if you decide to go take a look at it on a Sat or Sun, and I will tag along....

trevorsworth likes this.
  22. Sculptive Design Co.

Sculptive Design Co.

@trevorsworth I am a "young guy" at 30. Just getting in to this stuff. I've had some experience with old cars (60's area) but the old Ford tin is a whole other level. I have a model a Frame and rear end and a flathead I want to get running. It's crazy how some of these prices get. I ended up getting a speedway T bucket body for now. (I've been very blessed and am thankful I was given some tools and parts.) Just so I have something to start with. I'm right there with you, trying to stumble my way in to a hot rod. This thread has really helped me out with trying to get my flathead started, at least in my head for now. lol

23. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll see what I can do after payday. I definitely know I need this weekend on the clock so it can't be then, but I'll let you know about next weekend.

24. Previously mentioned, but get out there and build relationships. Hang out. You will learn a lot just listening. Community is a powerful thing. I can attest to buying hot rod parts at reasonable prices because guys were interested in my project and enjoyed helping. Most rodders understand being low on cash.

Walt
    Outsiders CC

25. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Damn Marty, your
    friends F8 is SWEET!!! Is bet she barks with that straight stack!!

26. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some unexpected expenses have wiped me out financially for a bit... I'm going back to working full time so hopefully will be back in action within a couple weeks but til then engine has to wait. Still going to do the piddly stuff I already have parts for but that'll be it for now.

oliver westlund, brEad and slv63 like this.
  27. And that's how it goes in the Hot Rod Hobby game. Feast and famine and always 3rd place at best when it comes to the Wallet.

28. RodStRace

RodStRace

Yep, all good advice.
    Gather up used toothbrushes from friends and family, and get some degreaser from the dollar store. Scrub that engine and trans until you can eat off them.
    Why the trans? 'Cause it's trading material and clean it's worth a bit more.
    Show some pride in your stuff, even if it's going to a new home and it will be reflected in it's worth and how people perceive you. This is especially true for older guys that have a bunch of stuff they aren't planning on selling, but when a kid shows up needing something with stars in his eyes, and a few parts that show care and appreciation, they are more willing to let it go to "a good home".

Keep looking at prices, even if you can't buy now. When you do get a few bucks, you will know if you should jump or bargain. Also figure out what you want to build. Research the parts and find out the best and second best choice for each item.
    https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/pts/d/austin-ford-overdrive/7159650472.html
    https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pts/d/allen-model-parts-fenders/7167656692.html
    https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pts/d/the-colony-model-fenders/7178588624.html
    https://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/pts/d/lewisville-model-starters-generators/7189196964.html

And develop connections. Your rolling chassis is probably within 50 miles of you right now, but the owner doesn't know you want it and you don't know where it is. The internet is great for making connections all over, but the best deals are the ones where it's close and only a couple of people even know about it. That takes talking and connections. Talk to the local rodders. Talk to the local landscapers/scrap haulers. Go to auctions and estate sales and talk to the buyers and the people running them. You aren't trying to corner the market, you just want a good deal on a few specific things. That way your name will become associated with that stuff in their head and when they run across it, you are who they think about. If it's not something you are interested in or able to buy, help them with value and someone else that might be interested. Become a positive experience.

HunterYJ, osage orange, slv63 and 4 others like this.
  29. RodStRace

RodStRace

RMONTY likes this.