Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects steering shafts & u joints on a 31 model a sedan

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by coody, Aug 31, 2020.

1. coody

coody

need some advice.Installing a 65 mustang steering column in my sedan.I have the column cut& mounted with the end of the shaft about 1" below the floor at the firewall.I have a u-joint on the end of the shaft facing the vega steering box.I have a u-joint on the steering box.I have a dd shaft connecting the two. when i turn it,it locks up at the u-joint at the column.To much of an angle.Question- can i use a double steering u-joint to get my angle right.If i can do i need a helm joint also? hope this makes sense.tks!!

dana barlow likes this.
  2. lake_harley

lake_harley

I'm close to being at the same spot on my '30 Coupe. I could see the angle was going to be too much for two "single" U-joints, one at the box and one at the column. I bought a "double" U-joint to install at my Vega steering box and will use a single at the column end. The double U-joint is a Sweet brand and I think it's supposed to be good to a 70 degree angle, but I think mine will be quite a bit less than that. Yes, using a "double" U-joint will require a support bearing near the double joint. I have a 3/4" male rod end intended for 3/4" steering shaft. The ball is machined to .757" I.D. to be able to install it over your 3/4" DD shaft.

Hope this helps, but I think you already had it figured out.;)

Lynn

dana barlow likes this.
  3. Redrodguy

Redrodguy

mcsfabrication and dana barlow like this.
  4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I've sure seen way too many Mickey Mouse steering set ups. Often looks like zero plan,just hook up anyway it could be. Mock up is key> often,many more then one time.
    That time you may feel is wasted on mock up yes did not do,will beat your butt for years.
    Each added u-joint,is added sloppy play<an more so if cheep joints. Try to limit your self to one u-joint at most{steering is higher priority then EX pipes or even having engine in dead center of car.
    Take the time to learn about bump steer,steering ratio and seating,view an comfort*< don't down play any of it=That's a moron move.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    BJR, Tman, coody and 1 other person like this.

5. Yep.
    I like to do the steering first, with minimal possible direction changes and joints. Then the exhaust. I'm not scared to fab or modify headers if necessary. Too many people want off the shelf headers then Rube Goldberg up some wacky steering corkscrews to get around them.
    The tail should not wag the dog.;)

coody, Just Gary and dana barlow like this.
  6. coody

coody

7. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Also are the u-joints in phase? Borgeson shows that in their instructions too.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. coody

coody

tks for your input! I had to make my own column drop once i figured that out. I cut the column down as much as possible. I did mock it up with broom handles cut down.everything fit but wouldn't turn all the way.But all good.at least i have a solution! Now waiting on my 185/65/15 tires to come in for my 6x15 up front so i can move it out of the shop and do some bodywork :)

9. coody

coody

yep! i learned that from borgeson on another build and always remember that.tks

10. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Borgeson is the only U joint as far as I know that is certified to operate at 35 degrees all others stop at 30 degrees.
    @coody a picture may be helpfully