Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Talk about memorable road trips in you Hot Rod or Custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jul 23, 2020.

1. charlesf

charlesf

We hadn't been on the road long before it began to rain. Before long, Tommy called to let me know that his feet were getting wet. He hadn't yet had the Starliner out in the weather, and hence was not aware that somewhere his cowl was something less than watertight. For my part, the Stewed was tight as a drum. I was warm and dry and the Stewed's long renowned aerodynamics didn't even require use of the wipers, with RainX sufficing till it really started to come down. Tommy's feet got wetter. Bowling Green 10-09 002.jpg

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  2. charlesf

charlesf

A gas/lunch stop gave us a brief respite from the weather. Tommy searched in vain for the source of his discomfort. I learned that my installation of variable speed wipers was welcome, but their inability to "park" in the down position lead to them finding amusing places in which to exercise their pause function. Both cars were otherwise running great, with no oil consumption and all their vital fluids remaining where God intended. Bowling Green 10-09 003.jpg

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  3. charlesf

charlesf

So, on we rolled down I 69 toward Indy. Tommy displayed admirable good humor. And he hadn't even had a chance to change his wet socks. Bowling Green 10-09 004.jpg Bowling Green 10-09 004.jpg Bowling Green 10-09 005.jpg

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  4. charlesf

charlesf

As we neared Indy, I couldn't help but notice a dramatic increase in exhaust noise which seemed to emanate from beneath my left foot. Since it was now past closing time, we agreed to find accommodations. Fortunately, the rain had stopped so after we checked in I was able to peer under the car to see exhaust escaping from the left side collector gasket. A quick search revealed a chain muffler shop within a half mile of our motel.

After breakfast, we beat it to the muffler shop. At first they were afraid to even put the Stewed on their lift. We had to wait till the manager arrived. Fortunately, he took an immediate liking to our cars and promptly ordered the Stewed elevated. The tech doing the work was a nice enough young (well, everyone is young compared to us) guy; but seemed quite put out at the prospect of having to work on anything out of the ordinary. Apparently he didn't appreciate the luxury of not having to work through/around accumulated road grime, grease, etc. In any event, the repair was quickly completed and the bill paid. It must not have been exorbitant, as I can't remember the actual cost at this late date. We hit the road in good fall weather and were in Bowling Green by mid afternoon. Tommy's carpet was soaking wet.

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  5. charlesf

charlesf

Saturday morning dawned cold and rainy, as we headed for Beach Bend Park. It didn't take long to find the Greenings, so we set up shop with them. As the hours crawled by it was clear that there would be no racing on this day. We amused ourselves with cruises around the grounds in Jeff Greening's shop truck. As soon after noon as it became proper to do so in polite company, Tommy enjoyed a cold one with Jesse. Bowling Green 10-09 043.jpg Bowling Green 10-09 016.jpg

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  6. charlesf

charlesf

There were a number of HAMB friendly sights to be seen. Among them was a beautiful lakes modified which had recently been featured in Street Rodder. It became the inspiration for my next build, The Fauxbanger; the build of which appears here under Eventual Flight of the Fauxbanger. Bowling Green 10-09 019.jpg Bowling Green 10-09 020.jpg

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  7. charlesf

charlesf

Sunday morning finally brought race weather. Tommy's carpet was still wet, despite the liberal application of motel towels. Bowling Green 10-09 048.jpg Bowling Green 10-09 059.jpg

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  8. charlesf

charlesf

More race photos from 2009 Bowling Green. Bowling Green 10-09 062.jpg Bowling Green 10-09 064.jpg Bowling Green 10-09 066.jpg

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  9. charlesf

charlesf

We didn't leave for home until late afternoon on the Sunday. As such, there was no chance we would do the whole drive in one day. After an overnight stop in Indiana we made it back by late afternoon on the Monday. Of course the weather had by now turned warmer and sunny. Tommy's carpet was still wet.

hotrodharry2, pprather and i.rant like this.
  10. wicarnut

wicarnut

A memorable trip to Back to the 50's, around 2001/02 or so, I learned a lesson on watching the weather channel and believing their forecast and radar. I called the "Leader" of our group late wednesday night to mention forecast/ rain next 3/4 days, his reply, rain or shine show, weathermen are wrong all the time, my roadster with bolt on top was riding in my enclosed trailer so I went against my better judgement. OK, drove in rain thursday to registration motel, rained rest of day, get up early friday, drive in rain, wait in rain to get in, stand around under tent all day as it did not stop raining, drive back to motel in rain. Saturday am , same drill, same conditions, rain, around 3/4 pm rain stopped, I had enough fun, made a run back to motel, 1/2 way, near a cloudburst type rain back to motel, can't see, pretty scary. and Sunday, time to go home,sun comes out a nice ride home. all in all a waste of time and money that weekend. A side note to this story, our Leader's (Die Hard, gotta drive them guy) wife talked with me at dinner saturday night and asked to ride back home with me. Fun time listening to her bitch about the stupidity of driving in a car (beautiful 36 Ford Roadster w/ folding top) with no windows in rain all day. sitting/standing around in rain. So......... Guess who bought a trailer to keep his wife happy and our group all had trailers the following years. NEVER underestimate the power of a wife. There's 2 pieces of advice I gave my sons, #1 Never underestimate the power of money #2 Never underestimate the power of pussy, it can't move mountains, But it can get a man to move them. LOL 2 daughters, did not tell them this, I think they know it naturally/genetics. again LOL

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  11. wicarnut

wicarnut

Another weather story, around 2008 or so, Milwaukee had a new high speed Lake Express Ferry, avoids driving around tip of Lake Michigan, (Chicago) a PIA any time of day or night. A group of us going to Kalamazoo for NSRA show, thought it would be fun to try this, we all got tickets for us and cars, now I had become the weatherman of our group and the weather did not look good, I called everyone night before and said it looks bad, I'm staying home, I did not know their policy (Ferry) refunds, some of the guys went, real rough ride, some got sick, it rained at show and when they went back to Ferry to return home it was cancelled due to weather and they drove home in real bad weather. Those guys got their refund for return trip, I did get a refund from Ferry Co., kinda surprised me. A memorable trip I missed.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  12. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Memorable trips...??? Read my latest book: "Broke down a Million Miles From Home. Now What?" for stories of our trips across the U.S and Canada in several hot rods and kustoms and how we solved highway breakdowns. Available on Amazon...
    R-
    BROKE_DOWN_FrontCover.jpg

b-bop, vtx1800 and wicarnut like this.
  13. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Last summer I took the Chevy up to the White Mountains for a camping trip. Only 135miles give or take. It was loaded down with camping gear, tools, coolers, and bikes. Had the wife follow me in case something fell off or broke. The car performed great, we even cruised around the mountains and went to a cruise night. Maybe next time I will take the roadster. 20190803_180540.jpg 20190805_095546.jpg 20190808_113531.jpg

Charlie K, hotrodharry2 and wicarnut like this.
  14. atch

atch

This is highly recommended reading by everyone who has ever read it.

40StudeDude likes this.
  15. I had the 37 Ford to The Nats in Louisville Ky. in 92 . I was parked at the circle in front of building . While inside I heard the rain coming down hard and people outside yelling the lot is flooded cars under water ! I went running out to my hot rod and saw the water was over my running boards and about ready to flow into car . I got in and started it up sounded like a motor boat , side exhaust pipes were under water , drove out of water and had to park in a fire lane . Cop came up to me and said move it you can't park here . He took a second look at flamed paint on car and said looks like your car belongs in a fire lane , you can stay ! I was lucky guy next to me had a 34 Ford with a new upholstery , interior had a foot of dirty water in it . Many cars were up to top of cowl in water , auto transmissions got water in them and their bands were soaked and coming apart . Seen cars being towed to local garages to have transmission repairs and motors having the water drained out of them . Car owners by the thousands wondering what to do before they could drive home . There were well over 10,000 cars at show and over half of them had water damage !

16. atch

atch

I'll add another story about that day & place. Louisville '92, that is. My buddy Steve went with me to all car events back then. My (now ex) wife has never been to anything car related in her life So Steve was my travelling partner in that time period. We were in Clarence ('48 Ford panel truck in my avatar), but more on that later.

So Steve and I were in the vendor building during that rain storm. Occasionally we went to the door and looked out. I don't know if I've ever seen it rain that hard. The roof drains on that building came through the building to go underground under the floor. They were located adjacent to vertical support columns. They had some sort of air-gap up near the ceiling level and water was gushing out of those and soaking everything under them. It was like a dozen or so water fountains inside the building. Apparently these were connected to the floor drain(s) outside in the sidewalks. Those floor drains were also like fountains and the water was coming up about 3 feet high out of them.

So that describes how hard it was raining. All of you that were there that day know exactly what I'm describing. If you remember the fairgrounds back then from the main entrance there is a boulevard looking "street" that runs straight ahead (north) towards the buildings. There are huge parking lots to the left and right. The east parking lot sat lower than the west lot. Steve and I had parked in about the middle of the west lot and took off walking. The cars under water were all in the east lot. We saw some folks who were standing in the water raising cars by lifting one corner at a time and putting concrete blocks under the wheels. Of course these were the lighter weight roadsters and small coupes. By the time the rain stopped some of those cars were 5 blocks or so off of the ground. But at least the drivetrains were saved, even if the upholstery got wet.

Steve and I eventually returned to Clarence, which was black back then, to find another black '48 Ford panel truck parked right beside it. We thought that was odd but as there did not appear to be anyone in the truck we opened the doors to climb into Clarence. Upon making the door opening noises two small heads popped up in the driver's door window and said something to the effect of "you stay right here; our dad wants to meet you." So we stayed and visited with these two, who turned out to be a 16 year old girl and her 8 year old brother. Eventually their parents returned and introductions were made all around.

In those days there were always 4-6 carloads of my friends who went to the nationals with us. So we invited the family to join us at dinner that evening. The family was Tom/dad, Sherry/mom, Kylee/daughter, and Ryan/son. At dinner (supper to me) we all got along just as if we had known each other for years and years. This family was from the south 'burbs of Chicago. Mokena to be exact, which is south of I-80 and east of I-55. When I say south suburbs as I found out later when you leave Mokena going south you immediately are in corn country and no longer in civilization.

When it was time to go to another out-of-state rod run we contacted them and invited them to go along too. They did. Eventually we met all over the country and sometimes met up and travelled together. I can't remember all the places we went to but I can remember that we went to Goodguys Indy, Madison Americruise, several NSRA nationals and mini-nats over the years. If you go back to the book I wrote in response #24 you'll read about a trip to Colorado that I went on. The Tom/Sherry family were in on that trip.

We kept up with each other mostly by email back then. Tom has never done computers so our communication was in the form of emails between Sherry and me. She would print out what I wrote and Tom would dictate a response, which she would send back to me. This went on for many years.

Remember the wife that never went to car events? Early in 2000 she left me and there I was, 49 years old and alone for virtually the first time in my life. A few months later I got an email from Sherry telling me that Tom had left her also that summer. I was saddened at that news in that Tom, Sherry, and I had become good friends and had shared many adventures over the years. However, time went on and my single life became some form of normalcy.

Then, on New Years Eve 2000/2001 my phone rang early in the evening. Sherry planned to call the friends in her address book to wish them Happy New Years. Being as my last name is Atchley I happened to be the first one that she called. Her intention was to spend 4-5 minutes on each call. When we finally hung up it was daylight on 1/1/01. We had talked all night. We continued to call on a regular basis for many months. Eventually we decided to meet in person, as we hadn't been together in a couple of years.

Long story short (I know; too late); day after tomorrow will be the 16th anniversary of our wedding which happened on September 4, 2004. Kylee and Ryan (remember them?) are now my step children.

This post has been less about the '92 Louisville Nats road trip, and more abut the results of that road trip. It all happened because of the '92 Nats trip though.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    das858, trollst, b-bop and 1 other person like this.
  17. b-bop

b-bop

Great story. Its not always just about the cars. People are what makes the road go around.

18. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-10-13_4-54-35.png
    Hello,

As a teenager that had a cool 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery just sitting in our backyard, it called for as much fun usage as we could muster. We were told of a huge South Swell being generated from a hurricane just South and West of Cabo San Lucas on the Southern tip of Baja. It was a mild one, but generating hurricane force winds and surges along the mainland and Baja coastlines. There was no communication back then from Mexico to the USA like there is today with the surf reporting websites.

We just looked at the weekly LA and Long Beach newspapers that our dad subscribed to and the weather page gave us the old surf report given by weather people, in who knows where. But, at least it was somewhat accurate. If there was a photo of a swirling hurricane near the Cabo San Lucas peninsula, we knew it was coming up the coast line until it made a mad dash for Hawaii. We all know that hurricanes need warm ocean waters and warm, humid air to form and thrive.

Where we live on the coast, there is a cold current coming down from the Arctic that swirls out and away from the coastline. Most Mexico derived hurricanes that move Northwest hit this current and then start its travel in deeper ocean waters that have warmer surface currents heading West, towards Hawaii.

In So Cal, we live in a mild Mediterranean climate with prevailing Westerly Winds. Our Long Beach house was the recipient of West Winds every day. At Lions Dragstrip, those winds in the evening made it damp and jacket weather. The usual weather was dry Summers and wet Winters. So, when a weather pattern was showing on the weather page of the local newspapers, we took notice. At first it was a guess as to when the system would send waves to So Cal's South facing surf breaks.

If a system was sitting South of Cabo San Lucas, it would take approximately 6-7 days to send waves to our shorelines. As the hurricane got downgraded to a tropical storm due to colder waters near the USA border, then the swells would already be arriving in So Cal. For us, that was too late, as everyone and their surfing grandmother was usually out in the surf spots to catch those South Swells.

At one time, a hurricane was sitting for days slowly creeping up the mainland Mexican shoreline. Then it turned just South of the Cabo Peninsula tip and followed the warm currents West. Now, it was in the so called “window” to send something to So Cal. But, it would take several days to hit the San Diego/Orange County shorelines. Then, the swell started its journey up the coast until it hit the deep cold water and just lost its power.

Jnaki

This hurricane was sending waves our way and we wanted to see what this South Swell would do at our local, inside the breakwater surf spot next to the Seal Beach/Alamitos Bay entrance. We knew it was a South Swell Spot on the Seal Beach warm water break, Ray Bay, but had ridden some waves at the Alamitos Bay Entrance and beach. But, we wanted a good swell to see the limits of the break inside the Long Beach Jetty side at 72nd place. It was the "shortest memorable road trip" to going surfing for us. It was still in our normal, daily/weekly, hot rod cruising scene.

We estimated that the Huntington Beach Pier was a good indicator of a South Swell. So, if it hit there, then within a day, it would be in our area of Seal Beach/Long Beach. That was our plan from before. This one was bigger and could send epic waves inside of the Long Beach Alamitos Bay Jetties. It was a short drive to the end of the Long Beach Peninsula, as we made that part of our weekly cruises in our hot rods and station wagons. This time there was a purpose for that short drive.

We lucked out on our estimation and the waves were pumping the next morning. The waves were hitting Seal Beach on the other side of the Alamitos Bay Harbor entrance and even started breaking inside the main channel to the harbor. But, on our side of the entrance, the waves were lining up nicely and time for some good rides in our own town. Yes!!! After a tiring day of surfing in Long Beach…we decided to take a chance that the swell was going to go up the coast and hit our summer destination of Malibu Surfrider Beach in a day or two. That is another story…

The swell still had to round the huge Peninsula Point in San Pedro/Palos Verdes. Sometimes that lessens the power of the waves, unless it is still getting a powerful backup from the hurricane down in the window, just West of Cabo San Lucas. If that was the case, then the swell would wrap around the big San Pedro Peninsula cliffs, head for Malibu and that Southern facing coastline. That was the goal we always wanted on our second journey from the same swell. Big wave Malibu from the point to the pier is one of the best in So Cal.

19. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I have never been a roadster guy. Always felt like some of the cool body lines were missing without the roof and don't like wind and exposure to the elements until a friend of mine talked me into a 250 mile trip with him in his T bucket. I couldn't sleep the night before thinking about how miserable the ride would be and that my back would never survive the trip. That trip ended up being one of the coolest experiences in my life. I wore an early 40's race helmet and aviator goggles, was rained on a bit, had to do some road side repairs at night to get home. Every stop along the way we were surrounded by people of all ages wishing they were us and when we were almost back home around one in the morning , I was thinking I wished I could just keep going and not stop. I have never been so closed minded again.

streetrodder51 likes this.
  20. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

For me any first long trip in a car I built is memorable. Driving away from the house not knowing how things might go, and whether all my hard work was up to a long trip always has it's share of apprehension. Even more so if I'm doing so alone, and toss in driving through areas with no cell service, and it gets even more worrisome.
    Just finished my first trip in the '39 Chevy I've been resurrecting for the last 18 months. After six months of replacing rotted metal, and then building the new engine, and replacing all the drivetrain, and suspension. Then buying my first commercial sewing machine and sewing up all the interior.
    Pulling out for a trip that added 1200 miles to my odometer was a little scary at first. But halfway to my one way destination I put my concerns aside, and enjoyed the drive. And when I turned around to head home I was wondering where I might detour to add more miles and time to my trip? In the end it was uneventful, which in my book makes for a very memorable road trip!

[​IMG]

charleyw and Unique Rustorations like this.
  22. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

That is encouraging as I have many of the same concerns. Seemed like I worry more as I get older and in these odd times. My wife and I plan to do the Route 66 when her car is done and I’m sure I will feel the same as we pull out of the driveway...

Nice job (obviously as the trip was uneventful).

Regards, Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

23. atch

atch

OK; it's been a year and a half. Who's got new stories? Or old ones that they aven't posted?

24. b-bop

b-bop

Covid kinda crushed most of my plans for the last two years. That and a new knee last summer kept me off the road. But here’s hoping this summer brings some great new adventures.
    877FE82F-A6CA-4D7E-BF40-DDAB476B85B0.jpeg

25. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Yuma Prison Run !

26. atch

atch

Tell us about it...

27. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-4-19_4-25-17.png

Hello,

It was the same time period of the season, it was Spring Break for a couple of college kids with the whole world ahead of us. We needed a break from the final years of college and for the turbulent times, it just felt right to take a trip(s) up the coast of California to get our heads on straight. No large gatherings for us, it was a time to enjoy each other and what California had to offer us at the time. We were on a roll being individuals, had great GPA scores and the future loomed brightly, ahead for both of us.
    upload_2022-4-19_4-34-9.png photo: contemplating the next road adventure...

1966 & 67 were the starting era for our long road trips to the San Francisco Bay Area for the happenings in rock and roll, families and photographic journeys. Up the coast to start off in the Los Angeles coastline always gives the feeling of something great is going to happen… it is something that always started our journeys.

Los Angeles county coastline starting point

Even as late as 2019, it never gets old to go up the coastline to the Santa Barbara area for a rest stop or a nice ocean view lunch to keep the action going. We have been traveling this coastal Highway 1 from San Diego to the Canadian border many times in the years we have been traveling together. The pandemic put a stop to that portion of our lives... Phooey!

Sure, the locals in those beautiful areas like their portion better than the others. But for a couple of old folks now, but as traveling 20 somethings back then, the trip is well worth the effort. Every time there is something new and exciting to go along with the beauty the coast line offers, like nowhere else.
    upload_2022-4-19_4-30-12.png
    Like flying from point A to B is missing the majority of traveling. A roadtrip absorbs the whole scenery. In our North and Northwest adventures, the inland freeways are faster, but there is no comparison to the beauty of the ocean views versus the cattle lounging around in mud pits along the freeways. Add the awful smell fills your nostrils to the brim, too and the draw of the ocean comes into clear view. Besides, who is in that much of a rush to save a few minutes on the overall trip. There are better things to enjoy while driving.

Jnaki
    upload_2022-4-19_4-34-38.png San Francisco downtown museum and aquarium locale.

It is a wonder that at the time, 66-74, we made the trip several times a year for various enjoyable vacations and photo shoots. Tie in hot rods, forests, coastal coves, concerts, shows, and road grabbing curves on a beautiful, sunny ocean view day makes it worthwhile, every time.
    upload_2022-4-19_4-36-7.png San Francisco Golden Gate: 20 something days

Our photos are our memories. But, every time we see a TV show or movie that portrays the So Cal coastline, the Big Sur coastline or the SF Bay area and coastal towns, we get shoved right back into those great memories of the 20 something road trips in our El Camino cars, my wife’s sporty car and in more recent times, with our little old dog. The coastline of the Westcoast of the USA is a wonderful event to harness and enjoy.

Just a few days ago, on a nice sunny day, we were at our local beach side spot. Just down the way, a good looking young couple came out of their car to sit down and have some lunch. They chose a spot overlooking the blue Pacific and the waves lapping the sandy shore. That Spring Break moment in itself reminded my wife of those college era times, when we got our lunch and sat down in the Alamitos Bay Harbor looking out over the blue waters and the sailboats sailing by our spot.

These modern day college kids were a couple of traveling young adults from the University of Arizona, just finishing their week long Spring Break Vacation. Ahhh… today’s actions brings back those good old memories of the great times from 1966 onward (Easter vacation back then...) as we were a young college couple on the start of our long journey. YRMV

Algoma56 and firstinsteele like this.
  28. atch

atch

Whi has more stories? Bueler? Bueler? Anyone?