Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Bellhousing Transmission Adapter Identification Help *Identified*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tjcmiller1, Aug 30, 2020.

1. tjcmiller1

tjcmiller1

I found this bellhousing among some of my Dad's things and I am having a hard time identifying what it is for. There are no markings or casting numbers anywhere on the bellhousing. I thought that it might be for an earlier flathead Ford V-8 to a 1949-53 Ford transmission but I can't seem to find a flathead bellhousing that matches the bolt pattern. It also might be for a 1955-60 Pontiac engine to Ford transmission since my Dad did have a 57 Pontiac engine in his 1950 Ford but that doesn't seem like that is right since there is no provision for the starter on this bellhousing. Anybody have any ideas or suggestions?
    Bellhousing (2).jpg Bellhousing (3).jpg Bellhousing.jpg

2. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Actually it looks more like #302. 304 is for the 54 and earlier cad and 49-63 Olds with the extended bellhousing...the 304 adapter is pretty flat. Maybe 3"-4" overall height. The one shown here looks like for a non extended bellhousing application. Im not sold on it being the 302...it may be my imagination but it looks like there are numbers cast into this bellhousing right behind the clutch fork on the flange.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

5. tjcmiller1

tjcmiller1

There are no numbers there. It was just some dirt. I cleaned the surface and it is smooth. The 302 adapter has a provision for the starter on the right side which mine does not have. The 304 has 2 extra bolts at the bottom that mine does not and the bolt hole on the left side, above the hole for the throwout arm is above the hole and mine is even with the throwout arm hole. I am still stumped.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    Rivie63 likes this.
  6. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Early Pontiac manual trans and early Chevy V8 used a cast iron plate that the starter bolted to. Some early adapters had to use those starter plates...this leads to weird, oddball patterns on adapters like yours and makes it hard to identify.

stillrunners likes this.
  7. tjcmiller1

tjcmiller1

It has been identified. It is for 1955 to 1960 Pontiac engines using the Pontiac Hydramatic bellhousing and a 1949 to 1964 Ford or 1953 to 1964 Mercury transmission or 4 speed toploader transmission. Thanks for all the help in identifying it.

squirrel and Speed Gems like this.