Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Paint guys, how do I paint this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40ply, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Hey guys. Need a little advice on how to paint this Ford panel. I've painted a couple of cars, trucks and hot rods even a D7 Cat but this one is a little different...it's BIG! I got talked into doing this for a friend, it was supposed to be a scuff and paint but I found a few blisters that turned out to be newspaper, fiberglass and bondo. I have since patched all the rust properly filled sanded and primed and it's really close to paint and so I'm working on a painting plan but I'm not sure how to paint the roof. The D7 was big but I painted it with speed enamel and wasn't too worried about a fleck of dirt or the odd hand or foot print. the 54 Olds that I painted for another friend was big but low and I could reach across the roof from either side standing on the floor. I'm planning to put this thing right on the floor but even then I can't see over the roof let alone reach across it and when I put a ladder closer than I'm comfortable with beside it thinking I'll spray from the ladder, the shape of the side puts me 12" away at the top so I still can't reach (see 3rd picture). Short of building some "Tom Cruise Mission Impossible" contraption that allows me to hang from the ceiling, any ideas what to do? I'm worried that I'll be stuck to the side like a bug when I slip off the ladder. Flipping it on it's side is not an option neither is chopping and sectioning it ;). I've googled how to paint a van and everything I've seen so far is do it yourselfers using a roller which isn't the quality job we're going for after spending so much time and money. They are wanting a 2 tone base/clear job like the one I photoshopped in the last picture. Also I know there are many variables but got any ideas on a good place to start when estimating the amount of paint needed (conventional gravity feed gun)? My 40 Plymouth took 2 quarts of base and a gallon of clear and I had none left the 54 Olds took 1 1/2 gallons of clear both were painted in pieces inside and out. Any thought are appreciated, thanks

IMG_20200809_162841924.jpg IMG_20200809_165142172.jpg IMG_20200809_165250035.jpg 1948-ford-panel-wagon-1 copy.jpg

2. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You want to be safe and stable, the first thing that comes to mind is: It will cost a bit but you can go to your local rental place and rent a section of scaffolding on wheels, you can lay on it or squat and reach the center of the top safely and stay balanced. Pass the cost on to the customer, they want it done right, it is an unusual rig to paint, extra work equals extra cost.

Fortunateson likes this.
  3. A D7 isnt BIG !

King ford and -Brent- like this.
  4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Two things. If you were in Vancouver Washington I would lend you a scaffold . Baring you moving I believe you can buy those ladders that are hinged and a total of three sections. Bend into a scaffold design .

5. If you are 2 toning it your good to go, One colour at a time LOL.

You are already there in parts is going to be the best way. Dont 2nd guess you stated done a couple cars already. Just make sure you have enough paint for a little Xtra just in case..

6. jockeyshift41

jockeyshift41
    from Florida

I’d think twice about those folding ladders, they collapse sometimes. Seen videos on Utube. Funny shit unless you’re up on a paint job.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Wrench97

Wrench97

I use to do horse trailers and IH trucks may, may years ago off of planks and step ladders today they call them picks You'll need at least 3 step ladders of the correct height to put the pick on and it also helps to have a helper the guide the air line help you move them around.
    -01-Stages-Werner.jpeg

8. rusty valley

rusty valley

i painted a panel truck once, you gotta be fast so you can get a whole coat on and not be dry where you started. i had a friend help me move ladders around and watch the air hose from hitting or getting caught on the ladder. not a fun job

9. It has been a REAL LONG time since I did paint something that large.. What helped was having a 2 qt pressure pot, Yes old school with a Devilbiss gun. But you can make a complete pass on a Caddy and keep it wet..

s-l1000.jpg

Also on like Burbs and vans.. we would do the roof first, Tape off and do the rest.

Stu D Baker likes this.
  10. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Take the wheels off.

da34guy, tomkelly88, RMR&C and 3 others like this.
  11. In the same vein of the previous suggestions, I would set up a catwalk (or 2). Something that can quickly be moved from one side to the other. Secure the horizontal "walk" to the legs/stand-offs so nothing is loose to facilitate an instant move. An extension ladder, one section on each side laid horizontal with planks inlayed the full length might be all you need, but solid with no flex or springboarding so you can be focused and not distracted.

12. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was my thoughts also, even with no wheels you are still going to need a steady Well supported walk plank each side. Where do you plan to paint it , somewhere with decent head space and ventilation I hope.
    That 2 tone image doesn’t float my boat , but its not my car.

13. Jokester

Jokester

Stilts? Drywall tall shoes?

.bjb

14. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

You have 2 main issues with your project. Being able to reach to the center of the roof and hood is one. Next, is being capable of having adequate material to apply without stopping to refill a small spray cup. Pressure pot might be the go to piece of equipment. A good helper to assist with air line placement and being a general spotter for you. Good breathing protection for all persons in the room. Be careful, and have fun.

15. vickckik

vickckik

A rolling scaffold and a good assistant ought to do it. Do a dry run with the setup to find flaws in your strategy. Maybe zip tie the hoses to the scaffold. Throw that ladder away. If you must have one, get fiberglass.

40ply likes this.
  16. it needs to be painted in two steps. tape off the sides, front and back along the upper body seam and paint just the top. then tape that off and paint the sides. that is the way i paint all large vehicles. it will allow you to lean on the sides as you reach across. putting the truck as low as possible also helps, removing the wheels as suggested if needed.

17. remove the wheels and run some 4x4 blocks on the chassis.

also some of these.
    but the two tone jut needs the roof and sides to start anyhow.
    [​IMG]

18. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I painted a full size Dodge van once. I used plastic 55 gallon drums and two 2x12 walkboards. . Painted half the roof, moved the barrels and boards to the other side and painted it. I was using single stage enamel. It turned out good.

19. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Keep it simple, Use cinder blocks and thick 2×12 Lumber to make a "catwalk" around the truck. Should be cheap easy and effective enough if youre careful.
    :edit I dont type fast enough ^^

20. This, paint the roof first

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

40ply likes this.
  21. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

An option is have two capable painters each shooting paint on each side. Not always thought of but I have seen it done. As a side note you have less to worry about and you have somebody else to blame if their side has runs orange peel or a oops! :D

22. The problem with trying to paint the whole thing is the overspray that settles on the roof by the time you are done. It’s really tough to keep that rolling billboard wet enough while spraying

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    40ply and tb33anda3rd like this.
  23. I'm with the scaffolding group. Once you use it you will wonder how you ever got by without it.

24. Thanks guys! I was thinking about a couple of ladders and a plank but I think the rolling scaffolding is the ticket. That and a capable helper. I also like the idea of zip tying the hose to the scaffolding with a short whip. I was the push for a 2 tone paint job that way I could break the job up into smaller bites I was hoping to paint the roof a separate color and only have to worry about blending the clear in after. I remember we painted the Olds complete in one day and even with my friend mixing paint and helping tape, with the flash times and tape times it took about 12 hours from start up to washing the guns at the end.

25. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Yep scaffolding would be the way to go unless of course you convince the customer that the truck really needs a sunroof!

26. I had forgot about it until you mentioned it here, but I did that one time painting a 55 Chevy. Me and another painter started in the middle of the roof from both sides and worked our way around the car. That actually worked pretty decent. However, I must not have thought it was all that great since I only tried it once.

27. KenC

KenC

Just an amateur here but with some relevant experience. Mask everything but the top. Paint with the scaffold or good plank and ladders. I have a 12’ aluminum plank so I’d use ladders. Bring the hose up to the outside center of the plank. Tie in place leaving enough slack to teach both ends. Spray. Mask the top. No overspray allowed up there. Do the rest

28. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

I have a DeVillbiss booth,it has some eye hooks in the ceiling i use to hang stuff from to paint,i also paint some full size vans too,i have some small loops of rope i put through the hooks,i grb onto them to help stabilize myself when i reach across the roof.I have been painting for 30 years,that little panel would be a walk in the park,ive painted 50 foot beverage trailers:).Just use a slower drying reducer or activator,dont try and overthink it,its really not that big a deal. Harvey

40ply likes this.
  29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

hang from the ceiling from a cable like this guy.

heist.png

millersgarage likes this.
  30. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

2 planks , 4 5 gal buckets filled with sand with lids ,one setup per side ,as has been said , do the roof separately ..