Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 ranchero build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sarahSERENADE, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Your the women so your the boss...

2. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

My wife gets those migraines, God bless you people who go through that! She puts her head under the bed and I turn the ac on. It cleans the air and seems to help.. In the winter I put the furnace blower fan on constant instead of automatic and it really helps..
    A friend of ours takes some of her brothers methadone. He's a recovering addict and gets it to curb his desire to use narcotics. She says it really works..

3. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

More power to her if she found something that works. I'm too chicken to try that tho!
    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. RMONTY

RMONTY

If you want to remove superglue, acetone will soften and loosen it. Just wear gloves if you have fake fingernails! :D

5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Sarah, my wife used to have migraines all the time. She found out the cause was MSG in food. If she avoids eating anything with MSG on or in it, she seldom gets them anymore. Chinese food is usually loaded with it, as is a lot of pre packaged foods. Mono sodium glutamate, MSG for short, is used as a preservative and a flavor enhancer. Read the labels before you buy prepackaged foods.

6. My oldest sons wife gets them and when she does she basically goes blind, cannot open her eyes it hurts so bad. Hers are stress related and she just lost her one son, 17 years old in a motorcycle accident.:( The funeral was this past Tuesday, if that is not stress I don't know what is.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  7. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Wow, I'm so very sorry to hear this. Mine are definitely stress related as well. I hope there is some amount of healing a closure in your family. That is WAY too soon to go. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

8. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

I didn't think people were understanding what I was posting earlier so here's a pic to illustrate what I was talking about. The bezel was super glued, but it isn't anymore. But I can't get it out and I'm scared to drill it. Any help would be appreciated IMG_20200828_124028739.jpeg

9. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

That bezel is a push and twist operation to get it out, but it's twist in relation to the switch. I do think the cylinder needs to come out. I think you are going to end up with a new switch, bezel, and cylinder, so any damage you do to that stuff is inconsequential. Alternately, you could grind that little circular nubbin out with a dremel, along with the other one on the opposite side, and it should pop apart for you. Another option would be to take the dremel with a small cutoff wheel and cut the tang on the bezel on the backside of that little nubbin. Then it should pop apart. Or go cavewoman on it with some channellocks and vise grips and it will come apart. Check for reproduction availability before you go down these paths. :)

10. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Yeah I'll try it. I just can drill it tho because of obvious reasons. Thanks you, I'll try the Dremel and get back to you guys!!! Thank you for your help!

11. There is somewhat, still more shock and sadness after the realization. He graduated a year early from High School, was going to join the Marines, was a hockey and lacrosse player in high school. He had his life sorted out and had a plan unlike his older brother. Honestly I am amazed at how his mother held up being her next to the oldest. His four other brothers are still in shock and disbelief. The youngest two took it the hardest at 8. Funeral procession was over 40 bikes and 50 cars. That alone says how well liked he was. I am planning to get back on my projects come Monday. I was away for two weeks backpacking in Dolly Sods wilderness area after a friend ended his own life with no connection to the outside and came home to learn of it. Three weeks away from my own projects is more than enough and I need to get my mind busy.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

I hear you. Seems like you've been having a rough time. Breaks are ok. Time and quiet are some of the most glorious gifts given to us in times like this. I wish peace to everyone around you affected.

13. Thank you young lady. That was my reflection during the two weeks prior to the accident. In the wilderness reflecting and just surviving. Retirement does have it's benefits. Now more of your build. I love watching young people work and learn and expanding their horizons.

14. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Husband got it out with no damage to the assembly!!!! We had been working on it for literal days. Now I'm trying to figure out how to remove the gauge cluster without breaking it. I'm slightly concerned due to the plastic being very brittle, but it need to come out. It's one of the last things that I'd like out before spraying the dash. I'm debating if I want to take the steering column out (as well as windshield). I'm thinking I will probably have to.. I will have to see when I get close to it.
    IMG_20200828_201117952.jpeg

15. Money is tight for all of us, but, if you don't have one of these it would be a huge help. I use one for a car that I'm not all that familiar (so I don't break things).
    1964-ford-falcon-and-comet-shop-manual-5.jpg
    www.themotorbookstore.com

16. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is really very sound advice!

Gammz, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

I actually have quite a few manuals for 1964 & 65 falcons/rancheros! But thanks for the advice. It seems as tho the things I struggle with are the ones that are a "why did they do that?" Type situations where someone (not the factory) did something that I don't quite understand. Not exactly an "expert" but if I have a question, I ask! Today we went to the junk yard and got lucky right off the bat! Grateful we got a little sun to be able to actually go today. IMG_20200829_115425859_HDR.jpeg received_232732418075080.jpeg

18. partssaloon

partssaloon

There are just the screw you see in the front and on top of the gauge panel that will let the cluster come out. You have to remove the speedo cable first though. You tip it out at an angle an then you can see all the wires and lights that just pop out, than you can remove the whole cluster.

19. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Thank you!! I got it to tip but was scared to break the gauge cluster. Looks like I got more digging to do before I go further with that, unfortunately.

Also, side note to everyone, for some reason I'm not receiving my notifications... I've tried logging out and back in but it's not changing anything. I haven't gotten anything since the 15th.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  20. AmishMike

AmishMike

Another take on migraines before back to cars. Mine were coffee addiction. 5 cups coffee a day at work then none Saturday blinded migraine. Slow cut down to 2 at work & be sure 2 on weekends. No more migraines.

21. loudbang

loudbang

Go to the watch tread button on the top part of the posts you are not getting notifications on. click "UNWATCH THREAD" when that is done go back and "WATCH THREAD" again. That USUALLY takes care of notification problems.

22. Where is that yard at, near Annville? Was there a gauge cluster in the four door that you could use if need be?

sarahSERENADE and loudbang like this.
  23. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

We went to ez pull in new ringgold. And no, they were all pretty scrapped out.

24. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

25. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Sorry if I was quiet everyone, just been busy! I started back up at work since school is back in session and it's been a crazy ride already... We've been working on the ranchero as well too tho. Justin, my husband, helped me remove the steering wheel, gauge cluster, light switch, and wiper switch. We went to the junk yard (not sure if I posted that or not) and I prepped and painted various parts of the car. Today I sanded the dash because there were rust pits on some areas. Someone painted the dash before and left some harsh edges, so I'm feather edging that as well. It's not exciting so I didn't take any pictures, but I'm not just sitting on my rear end. (Which I'm also looking for btw, if anyone knows of a 8in rear end.... Lol)

26. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Couple out here on the local Craigslists but shipping from SoCal to PA would be a deal killer.:cool: Just picked up one from a Maverick for my '54 Ranch Wagon since its the right WMS to WMS for the wagon. Falcons and Comets are a bit wider then a Maverick and not sure about Mustangs but they are easier to find (and less pricey) than the Mavericks.

27. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

That's what I'm finding too... Lots out there but too far away to justify it. We've been going on junk yard trips to try and find one, but no luck. Figured I'd ask anyway! Lol

28. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you found the right one you might be able to put together a HAMB relay?

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just re-read your initial post and see that you are planning on a 302 with a C4. When I was in HS I had a '65 Falcon 2 dr. wagon with a 289 and a C4. It had 2.80 gears and it was a good cruiser car. In looking for a rear end for my current project I mainly found 2.80's with an occasional 3.25. You should be able to find either one in time and IMO you don't need anything lower. If you want a lower ratio like the 3.55's I ended up going with you are probably going to have to buy new gears and set up the third member. Gears, bearings, and other small parts if needed are available but prices vary depending on the manufacturer/quality and where you buy them. Then you either have to set it up yourself or have it done. Point is it starts to get expensive if you need to change the gears. I'll keep on the lookout for an 8 inch as I'm sure other HAMB'ers who are closer will as well. I've got a real soft spot for '64/'65 Falcons going back over 5o years so I look forward to your progress.

30. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Just wanted to give you guys a update since I've been silent the past couple days. I've just been sanding rust spots on the dash and getting it ready for paint. I'm doing some research on removing the glass since that's out of my comfort zone. I want to buy the rubber for the windshield before I get the window out, which can get pretty pricy.. not sure when I will be able to get it, but I'm hoping I can soon. We've also been working on my dad's shed as well as some other various things to get ready for winter. Happy labor day guys!!! Hope this message reaches you in good spirits and bright skies!