Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical how did you paint that? fixtures and taping technics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Feb 10, 2016.

1. had to paint this coil. taped off the top and set it into this hub nut socket. the socket is heavy enough to hold it steady. IMG_0258.JPG

mgtstumpy, clem, Bowtie Coupe and 2 others like this.
  2. The37Kid

The37Kid

When painting a hub nut socket a used coil will hold it in place nicely. :confused:

Bob

clem, safetythird, ABONES and 3 others like this.
  3. to paint the under side of this cab I tilted it up onto it's firewall and put a brace under the windshield header. IMG_0454.JPG IMG_0462.JPG

mgtstumpy, ct1932ford, MP&C and 4 others like this.
  4. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^^^^^^ I can see some MB Gullwing features there.o_O

Bob

tb33anda3rd, nunattax and loudbang like this.
  5. all primed, I used a couple plumbing pipe clamps and a piece of threaded rod. I was able to spin it with one hand and spray with the other. IMG_0765.JPG

6. :)

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  7. MP&C

MP&C

These Ford truck hoods can be a pain to get good paint coverage inside the nose.. So a couple pieces of TIG wire from our rack to the hood brackets hold it up in the air so we can get into the nose with the spray gun..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rod1, mgtstumpy, TFoch and 7 others like this.
  8. MP&C

MP&C

So every time we place the hood on my folding stand, the hood skin deflects upward at those pressure points (corners). Which means that won't work for blocking out the hood. So lets' use the same supports that the hood uses and make a blocking "stand".
    Large 5/8" bolt through the hood latch hole for supporting the nose...

[​IMG]

And going through our scrap inventory, here's some tubing we used for the back end, bolted into the hinge support. The extra "feet" help to stabilize it so the sanding effort won't try and flop it over...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With that done, all our open holes are taped over and the entire bottom side masked off to protect the inside finish..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A bit of Evercoat 416 to address some lows, and 3 coats of SPI epoxy for the next round of blocking on the outside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blocking...

[​IMG]

Some booth clean up and fresh masking on the table, hood pre-cleaned and tacked.....

[​IMG]

Sealed with SPI Epoxy thinned about 10%

[​IMG]

Fleet paint that was used originally on the truck, supplied by owner. Orange peel in a can..

[​IMG]

2 coats of color, 2 coats of SPI Universal Clear...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rod1, Bandit Billy, slim38 and 9 others like this.
  9. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Hahaha, "Orange peel in a can"! Good one!

loudbang and MP&C like this.
  10. Mark Grabo

Mark Grabo
    from Upstate NY

We Painted the underside of our racecar Gloss White , Can find a leak in 2 seconds and clean it up Quickly

clem, SquintBoy, Almostdone and 3 others like this.
  11. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG]

Wow! Details like this let customers know you know what you are doing. Can we see a photo of the finished truck? Bob

12. what happened to those photos?

loudbang likes this.
  13. I had a badly smashed and previously badly repaired oil pan that leaked on this 62 Lincoln continental. I found a used one but it had a couple dents in the bottom and was rusty. to paint it, it needed to be sand blasted inside and out. to make sure sand didn't get trapped behind the baffle, I ground out the spot welds holding the baffle, sand blasted it, worked the dents out, cleaned it, then welded the baffle back in. primed and painted a glossy black. IMG_1173.JPG IMG_1174.JPG IMG_1175.JPG IMG_1176.JPG

rod1, Almostdone, LAROKE and 10 others like this.
  14. MP&C

MP&C

Sorry Bob, I missed this... Here you go. He loaded it up the following day after installing the hood to go to the Tri-state Antique Truck Show in Winchester VA..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

slim38, LAROKE, Bowtie Coupe and 7 others like this.
  15. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG]

Squirrel's Eye View that few live to talk about.

rod1, TFoch, tb33anda3rd and 3 others like this.
  16. tried Eastwoods "gold anodizing" for the first time. it came as a 3 can kit, with a large gold spray can and two smaller spray cans, one red and one green . Once primed, I put a couple coats of the gold base. when that dried thoroughly I misted on their red coat and when that dried a mist of the green.
    it came out ok, I may need more practice to get a more realistic look. maybe when it dulls out a little it will look better. it does look better than when I started. IMG_1197.JPG IMG_1198.JPG

LAROKE, MP&C, ct1932ford and 6 others like this.
  17. have to paint a stripe on the side of this truck. to keep a straight edge inside the jamb it needs to be taped off. to fill the hole I rolled some masking tape to fill the gap, closed the door and used tape across the gap. IMG_1505.JPG IMG_1504.JPG IMG_1506.JPG

Bowtie Coupe, TFoch, LAROKE and 3 others like this.
  18. Nothing fancy here, just a vise, pc of steel rod and a stick. Able to prime both sides of springs in one shot! IMG_7532.JPG IMG_7533.JPG

Bowtie Coupe, loudbang, TFoch and 3 others like this.
  19. atch

atch

Did the same thing between two saw horses. That let me do it outside where I didn't get overspray on everything else. Of course I was using Rustoleum (primer and color coats) and not trying to do AMBR/Riddler Award quality of work so it worked out well for me. You may or may not want to do this outside.

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Red primer overspray on snow looks awful, and takes forever to dry.

Bob

21. Poverty cap

Poverty cap

I painted these valve covers on a piece of plywood sitting on a folding stand. I wrapped the plywood with fresh masking paper taped the corners down good and laid down two pieces of quarter inch square stock so the edges of the valve covers didn’t stick to the paper and I’m painting on a clean surface. F0DC1EF4-9B74-4864-82BA-01D35CA24BCF.jpeg C2355564-7299-4A65-B91D-7B282AEA583C.jpeg

22. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Perfect timing and perfect idea! I haven't followed up on this thread in awhile. Getting ready to paint a couple big ass 39 Buick front fenders. Have a couple cheap ass engine stands that I use as a frame painting rotiserie. Bolting them to these will allow me to block, prep ,paint and buff them. Even after doing this for 50 years you still get " ah hah" moments. lol Larry

23. post pictures as you go.

24. I am also using Rustoleum , but by brush. 5 degrees outside this morning,so no painting outside. Nice heated garage!

25. Little idea to paint a hood. Took some 1" angle iron and drilled it to bolt to the hinge location. Ran another piece across and welded it to the posts. Then supported it from the ceiling. Like a stand to get it up off of the horse 20201220_115132.jpg 20201220_115119.jpg

26. safetythird

safetythird

I can't say I have the same taste in murals but the paint sure looks nice.

27. Took forever to airbrush that fat guy on there man!