Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Experience with HAMB Seller

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Eric Satterfield, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

I just wanted to say that Mr Frings did the right thing by me...I am sure the situation could have turned much worse .

fauj, 210superair, swade41 and 2 others like this.
  2. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have it partially correct about the "less than truckload" shipments but you don't tell all the story. In the freight business, city drivers pick up and deliver freight from customers. That freight is then taken to a local terminal where it is moved onto a dock and sorted out to go onto more trailers going to other terminals that cover the areas where the shipment is to be delivered. If the distance to where the freight is going is too far to make in one day, it will usually be reloaded onto another trailer going to the terminal closest to the delivery point. Then it will be unloaded and reloaded onto a city delivery trailer. In our system, we had as much as 3 day delivery so there you have the possibility of 9 times that freight could be moved on and off trailers. There is an enormous potential for damage to that freight, not just in loading and unloading, but sitting on docks where there are several tons of freight being moved every day. As far as what I did in transportation, I drove from one terminal to the next loading and unloading freight until I reached my final destination. As far as your comment about companies not wanting to use the whole trailer, if you guarantee overnight or two day delivery to your customers, you better be able to deliver. Prior to YRC taking us over, our customers paid a premium price because we could deliver on time. As a test, we had a customer ship identical shipments using our company and YRC. Both shipments were loaded at the shipper, one on our truck and the other on a YRC unit. They were to be delivered to another warehouse owned by the shipper in Cincinnati, OH. Ours was there the next morning, YRC's load didn't get there until 4 days later because of their refusal to move a partially filled trailer. Next time you make a comment like you did, make sure you have all the information before you spout off.

fauj, VANDENPLAS, Budget36 and 5 others like this.
  3. Well who is going to bitch about stuff arriving on time and in good condition?

4. 5window

5window

Precisely

5. clem

clem

yes, you actually said that in your first post (and some off us read that), and yes I felt that was the honourable intent of this (your) thread.
    But once you’ve started a thread, the focus can quickly change and get a little side tracked........

VANDENPLAS, jim snow and egads like this.
  6. That blower I mentioned was in a box that was lined on every side, top and bottom with plywood and had that 2 inch foam rubber pad stuff all around it, tell me again how the shipper took possession of the undamaged box but delivered it damaged, how it's the guy that packed the box fault.
    I get several damaged boxes a year, it's a running joke on facebook about the delivery guys in my area that damage these things, I can refuse it and companies will ship out new stuff packed the exact same way and it won't be damaged. Most of the people that speak like you work for these shipping companies, once they retire then they speak the truth about what really happens in the warehouse.

alanp561, Tman and RMONTY like this.
  7. lake_harley

lake_harley

Frames is certainly a stand-up guy for taking car of the damaged shipment. Perhaps he's going to get at least some settlement from a claim, but it was good of him to be willing go through the process.

Perhaps this is too off topic to not get deleted, but I find it really funny. The opening scene from Ace Ventura Pet Detective ...

Lynn

35cab, Beanscoot, clem and 2 others like this.
  8. Back in 2012, the shop I work for was an associate dealer for International Truck and Engine. As such, we sold a lot of parts and got UPS shipments everyday from Chicago. The UPS driver would back into the shop and literally start tossing boxes and packages out of the back of the truck. A box of truck brake shoes actually landed on a radiator. I looked in the back of the UPS truck and it really looked like they stood the truck on its front bumper and dumped the freight and packages in with a front end loader on a tractor. I understand there are drivers and lumpers who care about what they are handling, but in my experience, not too many. Oh, and I’ve been in the trucking industry my entire career.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    VANDENPLAS, alanp561 and Tman like this.
  9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have only had a small handful of damaged things. Almost all transmissions.

My bad shipping experiences are largely having a package I sent, or getting one, empty, the contents, and packing material having been bashed out of it. They are most often taped-up, empty, and delivered that way.

Desoto291Hemi and alanp561 like this.
  10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I am the shipper. I work with multiple trucking companies. I ship 20 packages a week via UPS. I buy and sell on ebay as well using USPS. your thoughts on this are nonsense.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

again,,, I don't know what it is you did in shipping but you are just wrong and you don't know how it all works. your whole post was just nonsense.

12. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Too bad you lack reading comprehension, he clearly stated that his first statement was sarcasm!

KevKo likes this.
  13. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

There is a small block Chevy engine core in Bakersfield I need shipped to just north of Detroit. Safe and reasonable cost go without saying. Shipper to use suggestions?

14. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As a retired Teamster truck driver/machinery mover/rigger, and marine transportation truck transport manager, let me say this. Even during the era of film cameras, and especially now with the age of digital and instant communication via WIFI, regardless of what ever the piece of freight is, good documentation of how it was sitting on the pallet unwrapped and then as it was wrapped and packaged and boxed and even as it was being loaded onto the truck that was picking up the freight, " good, thorough clear in focus documentation " is paramount when dealing with claims.

There is an old saying in the world of freight hauling and truck driving, whether union or non union............." If it can be blown up or torn up or destroyed, a truck driver can do it " And that also is true for a variety of forklift drivers as well.

Don't get me wrong, I am not running down the " Truck drivers nor the dock workers" but in the world of freight, the impossible and the amazing happens daily!

Bummer about the engine damage, good on Mr. Frings as a stand up guy, a rare breed these days.

15. trey32

trey32

Was it crated properly or just strapped to a pallet???

16. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

My wife would find a way....

17. RMONTY

RMONTY

Having worked in the commercial refrigeration and food service business (think commercial kitchen equipment) for many years, I have seen equipment/freight arrive that was totally protected and crated, boxed, reinforced, and then wrapped in everything you can imagine, labeled in such a way that a 4 yr old that couldn't read would understand the message, by the manufacturers of said equipment, looking like it was actually dragged behind the truck. So don't try to defend the freight monkeys! They have one thing on their mind, and that is break time, and the end of the shift. I have friends that worked in freight for many years, and they admit they don't take the least amount of caution when shuffling crates and pallets..."just get it moved from over here to over there!" If they were concerned about the freight they are moving, things like this wouldn't happen. Plain and Simple. IT WOULD NOT HAPPEN! I have also ran a forklift in shipping and receiving and yes, I banged a few things around in my time doing that. Guess what? I WASNT PAYING ATTENTION. ;)

Watch this, and enough said...

18. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Had to go the FedEx warehouse to pick up a crate, stood at the loading dock waiting for them to fork lift it out. Kept saying "Ouch, hope that's not it!"

Country Joe and alanp561 like this.

19. Simple... Because the one shipping (typically the seller) obtains insurance from the shipping company. As the seller You're crazy not to insure what you're shipping.

fauj, 210superair and alanp561 like this.
  20. Yes... To whomever paid for shipping with insurance.

fauj and alanp561 like this.
  21. Who ended up with the engine?

Did you ship it back to the seller?

22. sunbeam

sunbeam

I shipped a hemi flywheel to a guy here on the hamb in a wood box Fedex. UPS wanted $10 more because it was not in a cardboard box.

alanp561 likes this.
  23. A little history on @Frames Dennis Frings, he was one of the premier oval track chassis builders. He built the first mass produced 4 wheel coil-over short track late model chassis in 1976.

His chassis were used by Darrel Waltrip, Mark Martin, Rusty Wallace, Alan Kulwicki to name a few.

fauj, 6-bangertim, Baumi and 3 others like this.
  24. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, you're wrong and even though you work in a warehouse, it's obvious that you've never been in an LTL freight terminal with every imaginable type of freight coming off trailers and going onto others. The company I retired from had over 2800 road drivers and approximately 3 times that in local drivers plus the dock only workers. We had terminals that only had 30 doors and others that had over 200 and at some point in time, I've seen them all in use. A million pound night for the entire system was mild. Your speaking about moving 20 packages a week with one carrier tells me all I need to know about your operation.

RMONTY, swade41 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  25. pkhammer

pkhammer

I have had similar experiences. I have boxed things really well, in many cases double boxed with foam, plywood, or packing peanuts and payed for insurance. Then I've had some of those items arrive looking like the boxes were dropped from a 3 story building and run over by a truck. Of course the buyer wants a refund (as would I) which I give and start the claim process with the freight company. Their standard response is always to deny the claim citing "inadequate packaging". If you are successful getting a claim paid it takes months of fighting and persistence.
    I had a friend who worked for one unnamed freight company and he told me to never, ever put or write "fragile" on a box because them it becomes a target for the freight employees to treat as rough as possible.
    So in the end I just quit shipping fragile or large objects like fenders or grille shells, it's not worth the hassle. The buyers need to understand that if an item arrives damaged it's the sellers (shippers) responsibility to make it right. I just had a Hamber beg me to ship a grille shell to him. I took it to the UPS store and if they packed it in as small a box as possible it was going to cost $223 to ship just a couple of states away and they WOULD NOT INSURE it unless they could put it in a slightly bigger box with more room for padding and then the cost went to $450! Crazy!

alanp561 likes this.
  26. In now at a half century in the parts business (GM dealer and motorcycle) more than once I've seen packages come in via trucking companies, FedEx and UPS with damage that defy reason. Boxes crushed like an accordion, boxes with tire tracks across them, footprints. UPS delivered yesterday at work using a Ryder rental van, the back of that van looked like everything was just tossed in. At least two overpack boxes were broken open.

USPS is no better. Two years ago I received a Three Day Priority package from NM to Michigan, took three weeks after getting both the shipping and receiving post offices involved in tracing it. Had a "signature required" package left in our mail box without a signature. During the pandemic lockdown I ordered some things from Rock Auto, Amazon and Ames Performance. Ames took two weeks, sent Three Day Priority. Rock and Amazon, took a bit over one month.

swade41 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  27. If something is delivered to you and has obviously been damaged in transit (Because you can still see the forklift's tyre marks), but is left on your porch, you lose. Because you are not there to receive it (and now with this covid crap on, a lot of freight companies don't want you to sign anything), they are just leaving stuff to get stolen. If you try to make a claim it has to go through the seller. If the seller says "YOU take it up with the shipping company", and then you tell the seller it's actually the seller that has had to make the claim, most times that is the last you will hear from them. I have sent items and they have arrived damaged, even though they have been well -packed (and I send over 300 per year), and unless the item was packed in a 1/4" welded steel plate box, they always use the "insufficiently packaged"
    out. Some also want photos of the "insufficient packing", which is always thrown away by the buyer (who wants to keep a bunch of rubbish?), so again, the seller loses. Most times I have worn the loss, refunded the loot, and put it down to "experience". The headaches will put me in a pine box quicker.

swade41 likes this.
  28. Budget36

Budget36

Hmm, USPS jest delivered a a1200$ intake for a BBC from Co. to me in Ca. Things are fine.

210superair and clem like this.
  29. Roothawg

Roothawg

So the OP’s original message was the guy was a stand up guy. Thanks for letting us know. Sorry your thread went down the crapper.

fauj, '34 Ratrod, lurker mick and 3 others like this.
  30. Country Joe

Country Joe

That is terrible all around. Glad it was made right. Here's is a trans I had shipped to me. Looks like it fell off the truck. Bell housing cracked. The output housing crushed. Lucky for me the seller also made it right. tranny (1).jpg tranny (6).jpg tranny (4).jpg