Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 57 is home

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Jul 19, 2013.

1. belair

belair

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

One thing I know is that you build nice cars Jeff.
    This one appears to be up to the usual standards :cool:

3. Dang Jeff, you moved the Bar pretty high. I don't know if I should start a build post on my 57 or not. Very nice my friend, very nice in deed. A car that nice deserves a Factory wiring harness. You are aware there is a direct as Factory plug and play headlight to taillight harness available aren't ya? Not cheep but well worth the extra cost and laying on the floor next to a take out you'd swear it came from direct from Ford.

4. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Once again, nice timing. Yours is coming along really well :), and my fuel pump took a dump this morning :eek:. And it will be 112 degrees today!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I know we spoke about this.. but I can't seem to find the info you mentioned... I already have a kit.. but its real basic and could be used for the other 57...... and thank you!

Stogy, enloe, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  6. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Right!?!... the heat was heavy here as well... over the weekend and about 100 in the direct sun with horrible humidity... and there i sit with a heat gun bonding the last of the insulation!
    Lol

Stogy, enloe, Blue One and 4 others like this.
  7. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Thanks to all for the kind words..... But Im quite sure the pro builders out there just chuckle at my work...

Onward!

bobss396, Stogy, enloe and 3 others like this.
  8. .................I rather doubt that.

loudbang, Stogy, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  9. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Having followed your builds and the attention to the performance details I highly doubt that anyone would chuckle at your work. I have a file of all of your work and recommendations, handy guidelines, and comments from you. Its quite the resource for guys like me.
    I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

10. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

"My 57 is home" piqued my interest.
    Went through the whole thread in one sitting.
    It doesn't matter what brand car the project is, what does matter is the vision, the plan, and the craftsmanship to pull it off.
    Clean, tidy, factory look is very hard to do and you make it look easy. Thanks for the ride, Ron

loudbang, Stogy, Sky Six and 2 others like this.
  11. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love it. Turned into a Two-fer thread. Shop envy here.

12. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Moving onto the Equalizer Bar....
    I have a complete 1959 EQ Bar setup.... but the actual EQ bar was crooked when installed into the 57(See pic).... this was due because of the FE sitting forward too much or Motor Mounts not being actual Ford parts(repro mounts from Carpenter)Well in the 60's and 70's it was easy to get the right parts.... but Ford don't carry that stuff any more or either does my local parts house).Asking around a friend in Baton Rouge showed me his solution.On the Pivot ball bracket(Engine side).... the pivot had to be pushed back about 3/4 of an inch... new hole drilled,pressed in and welded on the backside.
    Assembled everything... all perfect... full clutch pedal travel.. and I was a happy Camper.
    Again... this is not Rocket science or some mystical voodoo..... and most more experience guys would already know this,.... but for those who plan to use OEM stuff.. ya gotta do some backyard shade tree wizardry hahahah

The first pic is mine.... The others are just ref. given to show me how to get it done.... just a Guide how I made it work for myself.
    On the first pic I made a diagram showing how my EQ needed to pull back and straighten out to a 90 degree between the frame and engine.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG

13. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Progress has been slow. work has been heavy.. but I finished up the Z-Bar(pretty much)
    The re-location of pushing the pivot ball bracket worked out perfectly and the bar is at a 90 degree.. all action from the peddle works well and no bind at all.
    Moving down to the linkage from the Z-Bar to the clutch fork... I should have had a clutch fork with a simple dimple pressed in.. but mine was a dimple with a hole(no idea what year,make or model)I was NOT pulling the tranny, to change that out.
    The Z-bar is a complete 1959 Ford model,..... So I set a tap in motion, fine thread, and since space is at a premium.... made 4 jam nuts and did a trial run assembling.
    I was concerned that just 2 nuts would not simple hold the desired Clutch adjustment.(I really overthink stuff)

I still need to attach shim washers and button the whole system up.. but all seems good.I have good clutch travel,no binds,clutch release at the halfway pedal point....
    I will be searching for a good muffler/exhaust shop ..... Did I mention space is at a premium?.... but a good shop can do the job....
    Not getting carried away with "Stainless exhaust" either.... this baby is a road brawler.....I need to run a tap over the exhaust studs and clean them up too.

got my inspection plate in too,.. lots of local guys told me I did not need it... yea... I don't like rocks in my pressure plate.

Again. all simple basic stuff.... but we continue to push forward.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG

14. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I now just need to find a proper length clutch fork retraction spring... its the small stuff that eats your time.

15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I think you only need the nuts on the front side of the fork, The spring holds the fork against the nuts and "takes up the free play" to keep pressure off the throwout bearing...

16. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I do believe your correct Mark.... but I have to find the right spring length and tension..I think I have about 58 different options.... and as I mentioned.. really tend to overthink ...everything hahahahaha.

17. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Hey Jeff. Space was in short supply under my SHoebox, too (rear way low). Had 2 exhaust shops tell me they couldn't get tail pipes over the axle. More like they didn't want to. I did my own exhaust in my garage on my back! It tucks up really tight outta sight, up over the axle! Sometimes it's just best to do it your way on your own.

18. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Its gonna be a tight one Pete!.and I agree...I may have to make my own collectors...
    Initially ......I thought about solid mounting the engine(As on my 2 early Fords.... using a good tranny mount to take up the engine vibration) On my early cars. the exhaust is rock solid never moves.... with motor mounts... the engine always tends to rock side to side under load....
    anyhow... I scraped the idea just due to trying to use Factory stuff and the solid mounted engine would have played into the Z-bar,driveline etc etc.... Anyhow. back to your exhaust..I may just have to follow your lead! I may make my own as well.

19. ..........Good on you, Jeff. I can't believe how many truly nice cars I've seen where the owner/builder left off the inspection cover.

Stogy, loudbang, Thor1 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

6.JPG ......Needed a clutch fork retraction spring.... because its an oddball setup.. and my auto parts sources looked at me with 3 heads....
    We live rural.. so I headed to a tractor and antique farm supply house.... Had what I needed and then some... cost me $3.95 for the part,....... Carpenter wanted 20-40 bucks for plus shipping....

Its the little things that eat so much time..... anyhow.. Clutch pedal to Transmission works very very well....

21. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Starting to wire(STILL WAITING ON SHIFTER PARTS!) hahahaha
    Opened up the kit and stared to separated the looms in the direction they will go(rear,Dash,Front,etc,etc)Should be very simple..... I am not using a bunch of accessories......Just using an E-Z kit... 7.JPG 8.JPG 9.JPG

Deciding on where to place the fuse panel.... I am surprised how little room with all the vent/heater duct work that space is a premium.
    Needed to get the car on the ground and put on the new rubber and 15's.... happy with the oh so important stance.
    (note)... finding an early set of 15 inch Ford Steelies are getting harder to find.... Getting straight un-bent ones are now at a premium.

22. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

23. loudbang

loudbang

Closer and closer. :)

Stogy, enloe, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  24. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Im REALLY itching to fire this thing......

25. RmK57

RmK57

Iv'e found after 50 years of rattling wheel nuts on and off with a 300 lbs. of torque impact gun the holes start to get wallowed out and nut wont seat properly. I have a couple sets that are screwed like that and had to buy new ones. The difference in hole size from old to brand new is significant.

26. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Strangely..I find wiring oddly satisfying... but I move at a snails pace.

zz.JPG zzz.JPG

27. belair

belair

A song for the little things.

Randall, treb11, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  28. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Better to move at snails pace being careful than to haul ass apply power and let the SMOKE out of everything :)

29. Jeff, the car is looking great! I hope to follow in you footsteps with mine one day!

loudbang, Thor1 and Jeff Norwell like this.
  30. Shawn Wildman

Shawn Wildman

Wow! This is a really nice build. I love a good sleeper!