Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Experience with HAMB Seller

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Eric Satterfield, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

Hello. I recently purchased a rebuilt 8BA Flathead engine from member username Frames/Dennis Frings. No fault of his the engine showed up damaged by the freight company and was no longer usable due to the engine had been dropped and had broken off the rear corner of the block .Mr Frings made it right and returned our money without any hassle to us. Just wanted to say that he’s a stand up guy that I would not hesitate to do future business with

Attached Files:

fauj, Elcohaulic, skip65 and 40 others like this.
  2. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Uh, what freight company? Might be good to know...

3. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

4. RMONTY

RMONTY

Ain't that a bitch! :mad: Freight monkeys.....sheeeeesh!

5. -Brent-

-Brent-

This is why EVERY item I sell is now insured. The extra cost is worth it. It's been getting ridiculous, lately, much due to current events.

6. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shouldn't the freight company be paying for that damage instead of the seller? I'd be hot enough to piss yellow steam if YRC didn't cover that damage.

7. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I'd hope he insured it as stated. What a shame that a good flattie is now toast because of yellow though, that really sucks. Good on you for posting about a positive experience with a seller, often times folks only mention negative experiences.

8. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^^^ I agree, Ebbspeed ! Why should the seller be out the money if it was not his fault ? Once he hands it over to the shipper, the shipper has responsibility to deliver it "as received".

fauj, Elcohaulic, mgtstumpy and 3 others like this.
  9. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Depends on who purchased the insurance. If Dennis arranged shipping and insured it he will be reimbursed.

10. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

I’m really not sure what the terms were with the freight company. He quoted us a price for the engine shipped we paid and it showed up with the pallet broken as well as the metal straps. There was concrete dust all over the side of the block where it busted the surface where it hit. Someone at one of the Yellow terminals swept up and discarded a large chunk of cast iron to just not notice damage.

11. Budget36

Budget36

Well, stand up guy for sure, whether he had insurance or not.

12. lake_harley

lake_harley

The company I used to work for got a lot of equipment shipped in via various carriers. Yellow Freight, one of the companies that were merged into YRC, was about the worst for tearing up freight. A friend of mine was a driver for Yellow. I asked him once if there was a special terminal they shipped freight through that was set up for damaging shipments, or if each driver was supposed to do it themselves. He wasn't amused. No sense of humor I guess.

Lynn

fauj, Elcohaulic, VANDENPLAS and 9 others like this.
  13. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Eric Satterfield Chickenshit deal for sure. You said it was rebuilt. Was it a fresh rebuild?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. UPS damaged a beautiful Mooneyham 8-71 blower on me last year, I was livid when he brought it to the door like nothing was wrong with it. Big chunks missing out of the bottom where it bolts to the intake that you could see without even opening the damn box, I refused it, the seller refunded my money through PayPal and I think he got boned on the damage claim from UPS, rotten bastards.

fauj and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

That sucks for sure .:(

16. southcross2631

southcross2631

I just a set of headers that a HAMB'er sent me in a wooden box. He sent me a picture of the box before they got shipped . 10 days later on a 3 day shipment they showed up wrapped in shrink wrap with no box. The Fedex driver could not explain why it got shipped halfway across the eastern U.S. and back to the original shipping point before it finally got to me. Fortunately they weren't damaged.

210superair and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  17. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

There’s no such thing as transit damage. Only inadequate packaging. That’s sarcasm but not far from the truth. Onus is on the shipper. IIRC all packages are insured for $100. Or the shipper can purchase extra. But if no extra and it is damaged or lost, you’re screwed.

Carter, 210superair, egads and 2 others like this.
  18. ☝️☝️ No truer words. Ship like an elephant is to be standing upon it. Insure it like its to be dropped from the heavens above. Worth the extra effort, & the extra expense.

Kudos to @Frames !! Sounds like the perfect HAMB'r. God bless him.

I would've bought from him, even before this confirmation.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  19. 5window

5window

It's a shame about the engine and a stand-up move by the seller. I have had all kinds of stuff shipped many ways that all got here just fine. Just saying that billions of things get shipped daily and the vast majority of them arrive safely. These threads tend to turn into 30 people bitching about the fraction that didn't. Bottom line, follow Kidcampbel71's advice.

Carter and kidcampbell71 like this.
  20. RMONTY

RMONTY

I dont know that it is as much bitching as it is commenting on a suck-ass situation......the loss of a good flathead just sucks, no matter what the cause....

210superair and Budget36 like this.
  21. 19Fordy

19Fordy

If the seller still has that engine block, I hope he realizes
    that the block can be repaired if he has the missing piece.

22. RMONTY

RMONTY

I think that it was mentioned that the piece that was broken off didnt arrive with the shipment. There are oodles and gobs of blocks that are cracked that a piece could be salvaged off of, I would think....I actually thought of that early on when I saw the damage.

23. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've mentioned this before but it seems timely. I worked for 23 years for a regional freight company that was bought by YRC about six years before I retired. Prior to YRC's purchase of our company, we had an almost non-existent percentage of damage claims and a 99% plus on time delivery record. After they acquired us, because of YRC's insistence that we use their loading practices, meaning that every available inch of space on a trailer had to have freight occupying it, our damage claims shot up. Our on time deliveries became a joke and instead of being a company that had an excellent reputation with it's customers, we became "just another freight company". Part of YRC's problem is that they will offer huge discounts on freight just to take customers away from responsible freight carriers. There might be as many as 20 different shipments from that many shippers on one trailer. YRC doesn't care whether some of their customers get their freight on time and undamaged as long as the majority do. I've dealt with them as a driver and as a vendor repairing the dock levelers in their terminals. As a vendor, I've had to threaten to sue in order to get paid for my work and that has taken as long as 6 months. They are unscrupulous and not to be trusted.

24. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Several years ago my wife ordered a green house kit from a company in the midwest. The shipper didn't show on the scheduled day so my forklift guy sat around for nothing. No call from Oak Harbor, the trucking company. When I called to ask WTF they said the truck it was on was too large for a residential delivery even though we paid extra for residential delivery. They showed up the next day with the crated assembly that looked like they had played fork lift football with it. I was going to refuse the shipment but the seller said to accept it and they would make it right which they finally did. Had another bad experience with Saia trucking with a delivery of a truck tool box. Had to meet the driver by the freeway since he was driving a 53' trailer and he couldn't/wouldn't come into my neighborhood. Again the delivery order was for a residential delivery. Box was scratched but they refused the damage claim since it was only cosmetic.

VANDENPLAS and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. 19Fordy

19Fordy

"I think that it was mentioned that the piece that was broken off didnt arrive with the shipment. There are oodles and gobs of blocks that are cracked that a piece could be salvaged off of, I would think....I actually thought of that early on when I saw the damage."

Thanks. You're idea is very doable. 40 years ago I welded up the broken off corner of my 8BA. Still doing fine.

Attached Files:

26. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Buddy, if you believe that, you are sadly mistaken. Having personally watched dock workers run forklifts over or through properly packaged shipments while loading them on trailers and going on about their business as if nothing happened, I can testify to the fact that there isn't anything that can't be damaged on a freight dock. I've seen heavy cable reels set on top of pallets of light bulbs and forklifts run through 120 gallon totes of hazardous material. A lot of dock workers are casuals, hired only for peak periods of shipping, and they move from freight company to freight company. They have no pride in their work, they're just there for the paycheck.

27. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Alan: WOW! Pretty bleak. Imagine what it must be like during the holidays.

Wonder if the same problems exists with big rig interstate/country NEW car haulers?

alanp561 likes this.
  28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

not sure what you did in transportation but you sure did not do any shipping. "less than truckload" shipments do exactly that every day all across the country. that is how it is done. they go from stop to stop picking up one and two pallet orders and fill the trailer. not sure why you would think companies don't want to use the whole trailer... that makes no sense.

Todd553 and Movinman like this.
  29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

these stories always crack me up. 3,000 ebay packages shipped, one lost, one broken that was my fault. I have run a warehouse for 13 years. we have never had a damage claim for outbound, and I have only refused two shipments due to damage in shipping.

people want to blame the shipper without even seeing how it was shipped. then tell tall tales about the gorillas at fed ex ups usps and now freight companies.

lets schedule the next shipping bitch fest some time after the new year. be sure to save your lame stories.

30. Two folks here on the HAMB lost out in that flathead deal and you want to call their stories lame? I have also shipped thousands of items in the last 30 years. And yes, I have had a couple items destroyed. But I always go overkill on my packaging.

MAW, 210superair, Roothawg and 2 others like this.