Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration We need to have a talk about the 1956 F-100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sgtlethargic, Aug 26, 2020.

?
  1. I like it

152 vote(s)
    77.9%
  2. I can take it or leave it

31 vote(s)
    15.9%
  3. I don't care for it

12 vote(s)
    6.2%
  1. If you love them- more power to you. I've never cared for them. The cab shape is a bit odd, the fenders look heavy, the face reminds me of a wrinkled dog. What went wrong?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How you gonna post a poll about how something looks and not include a picture?

3. belair

belair

4. bchctybob

bchctybob

Your analysis of the style could apply to almost all of the mid-fifties pickups. I prefer the 53-55 F100 with the slanted windshield posts and the triangular wing windows. The front wheel opening/front tire placement always looked bad to me, needed to go forward a bunch.

5. verde742

verde742

I love '53-56 especially..... IMG_4763.jpg

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  6. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

56 Ford big window short box half ton, ranks right up to the top in early pickups. I also Chevrolet's version the same year. It's a toss up?

7. squirrel

squirrel

Your description sounds accurate, to me.

They sure changed it up for 57, didn't they?

I think the difference between Ford and Chevy is that Chevy kept their old design through 55, while Ford updated in 53, when everything was still stodgy...so their stodginess lasted through 56, while Chevy got an update with the new 55 trends.

8. Why post a poll about something and then unload on it? Looking for an argument? Stuck in the house, nothing to do? Obviously your not going to change your view by opinion. Do something constructive. Take a walk, fix something, join a dating service, etc. etc.:)

9. I have always liked them. If you do the front axle centerline relocate trick and alter the opening they look perfect to me.

Baumi, Used Up Junk, sunbeam and 2 others like this.
  10. Personally, I like them.

This one belonged to my pal Greg. HRP

[​IMG]

11. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

[​IMG]
    One of the prettiest trucks ever. It's an automotive icon.
    I just have to ask, Are planning to Post...
    The 32 Ford, It Sucks
    Who wants a 57 Bel Aire when you can have a Lark.
    The Crosley and You
    Willys Aeros the trendsetter.
    AMC Motors, the home of Champions
    Hudson Who?
    Forget the Rocket, we got the Kaiser

12. Funny, I have a pipe in the bathroom sink with a problem if you got a hour or so to help out! :D HRP

13. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

[​IMG]
    I'm puking in my mouth a little, Danny!

14. I love '56 F100s. Even though they remind me of my ex-wife. Ya know... big, fat, round, heavy in the front, and a face like a wrinkled dog. :D:D:D

But seriously, I really dig 'em. Dad had one when I was kid. Used to ride in the bed. I have very fond memories of trying not to die as a child. :D:D:D

Now, I'll give you the stock '54. That thing looked like it rear ended little car and it got stuck in the grille.

But, this generation of F100's are cool as hell when they're done right. Stance on these trucks is where it's at. The taller they get, the more clunky they look. Here's a progression:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While they're all cool as hell, the ride height of the one in the first pic looks like it fits the shape of the truck better. Strikes a classier profile. Maybe it's me.

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My '55 F100 is rust free, P.O. bought it new from Milpitas Ford Plant, he worked in the Trim Dep't.
    I bought it 17 years later, for $60. Best deal I ever got on an F100. Still have it, my DD. Moved front axle ahead 1.75", ('58 axle, 1" lower) I installed a Toyota P.S. in the '80s, but now I have a '58 steering box I rebuilt, going in next. (should say 'finally'; life keeps gettin' in the way!)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  16. low down A

low down A

another one of those op's that need to practice what there mom taught them. IF YOU CAN'T SAY SOMETHING NICE JUST SHUT THE HELL UP .

17. Everybody here knows what it looks like.

Carlmac 369 likes this.
  18. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Ouch! Ouch ! Ouch !:oops:

19. The styling team either had to compromise or the answer to "Should it be round or square?" was an emphatic "Yes!"

20. The stock one doesn't look bad. I'm thinking lowering them and putting wider tires on 15-inch mags (how they're typically done) exaggerates those mentioned features.

21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

A friend of mine moved the axle center line forward and matched up the fender. JL 118.jpg

rod1, PoTaToTrUcK, Baumi and 10 others like this.
  22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had a 56 Long box with a six cylinder and automatic that my father in law gave me when he bought a few years newer truck. If that had been a short box truck I'd probably still have it. I wasn't smart enough then to figure out that bed sides, running boards and a few hours in my buddy's shop (He had the welder and ability) would have given me a 56 short box truck pretty cheaply at the time.

23. Yeah, it's a '54 but I love the body style of these trucks. HRP

[​IMG]

24. I like them and have had a couple 55’s and a 56 that I should have honestly kept. The 56 was a local hot rod with a 428 and a T10 as well as a brand new set of slot mags put on it in the late 70’s right before it was parked. It was a short bed small window pu, but was a REAL solid body. If I wouldn’t have been a broke college kid with dreams of ruining it by putting a BBC and making it pro-street in the early 90’s, it could have remained cool. Thankfully, I didn’t have money to screw it up and sold it. But, it went without the 428 or slot mags. Still wish I would have been smarter back then and just made it run and drive and kept it.

25. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

26. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I like 'em too, it's close but to me the Chevy gets the nod for styling.

Duck and cover...

27. I do have to admit that I like the 53-55 better than the 56 even though I know it is the most popular. ;)

Sky Six and Ferdyeight like this.
  28. Another harsh, personal insult: Does the rear bumper resemble a 2-by-4, also?

We can't talk about old car styling?

Does anyone that loves them want to comment on the features I've critiqued?

29. Front bumper has similar styling...I can’t disagree with that or some of the other specific critiques. But, I also still like them. Heck, some people like much uglier styles. I’m just thankful not everyone has the same taste. Or, we might all be driving a 32 Ford or 57 Chevy. The ugly ones (like the next body style F100’s) need love too. I used to think the fridge trucks were hideous...but they also kind of grew on me over the years. :D

30. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I must like them I have two of them!

Bones