Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical New Stromberg Carburators

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 24, 2020.

1. I was talking to my pal Dave this afternoon and he was telling me the confused pickup started running rich, almost overnight.

He installed the new 97's two years ago and they have the Grose Jet Needle & Seat Float Valve for Stromberg 97 Carburetor, could this be the culprit? anyone experience any problems with these new carburetors? HRP

upload_2020-8-24_17-51-5.png

2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 97's have grose valves and work great. I don't see how the valve can lead to a rich run condition? Beats a needle and seat from what I have seen and they will take a bit more fuel pressure without being so sensitive. as explained by Sir Clive

3. Dave seems to thing he tries his best to run premium gasoline but there have been time when we are traveling that ethanol free gasoline is not available and he has used what was avalible in a pinch.

His thought is the ball might have gotten stuck. HRP

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They closed our only clear station locally so I have been running the ethanol product for a while now with no adverse effects on the carbs. One thing I don't do is use Teflon tape anywhere on the fuel system connections. That will clog up a grose valve or an idle circuit.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.

5. Fortunately, we have a large Marina on Lake Hartwell and it's just a few miles from us, so obtaining premium ethanol free gasoline is not a problem.

I'll ask Dave if he used Teflon tape in the fittings. HRP

6. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Did Dave get his carburetor's running right?

I knew he bought new ones and they are expensive.

7. John, Dave hasn't done anything, he was burning the midnight oil finishing his new truck and drove it to Kentucky for his family reunion and then the middle of next week he will be at the NSRA nats south in Knoxville. HRP

8. jimpopper

jimpopper

Check the fuel pressure. Is it running a fuel regulator?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.