Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1951 Ford 2 door build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopperbuilder1, Aug 26, 2020.

1. chopperbuilder1

chopperbuilder1

Hey all, here is my '51 ford I bought to build as a family project, it is not exactly what i was looking to do but i needed something with enough room for the family so here it goes. I had been looking for a long time for the right project and this car popped up on craigslist and jumped on it. The guy i bought it from turned out to be the cousin of a guy that used to work for me, which seemed cool. I then start looking at the title and recognized the last name (of the only registered owner of the car since '51) So i reach out to a guy i have worked with for a very long time. Turns out his parents bought the car new in 1951 and was their family car while he was growing up. He emailed me all of the history of the car since it was brand new. The dad named the car "the ruptured duck" because he was a flight mechanic in WW2 and this was name/nose art back then.

Now, on to the exciting stuff, This is a running driving car 226 and 3 on the tree. I plan to keep it this way for now. The plans as of right now are to replace passenger floor pan and any other that i find as i tear into it further, 12V conversion, drop links with bags up front and A gambino 4 link with bags in the back (all of which is ordered and some of it has arrived) Air ride parts came from EZairride. Once this is all done I will decide what will come next.

This project will not be at lightning speed but should be ready for next season...

IMG_0609.jpg
    IMG_0612.JPG
    IMG_0613.jpg
    IMG_0614.JPG
    IMG_8678.JPEG

Attached Files:

2. sidewayzz69

sidewayzz69

I am a fan of the ol shoebox. Looks like a nice project.

3. RMONTY

RMONTY

Should make a great family cruiser. I'd drive the wheels off that car!

4. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

You did good! I'd love to find a 51 like that.

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

6. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Absolutely!
    It's your car, but I would not do all that. Ratty shoeboxes that require "everything" are all over the place if you look. I suggest you find a rough one to do that stuff too. Tear down the rough one. Drive this One!

What you have is not a ratty shoebox! Your little car can be cleaned up and enjoyed like it is. You have to be careful about mission creep because the next time the kids ride in it, it may be their college graduation.

The 226 H series was a great little engine. Many claim it was a better performer than the famed V8. I know a fellow that claims he could smoke 332 Interceptors and 409 Impalas red light to red light. Knowing how these cars are geared, I have no reason to doubt him.

I would clean it up and not tear too far into it. I would even keep it 6V.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Was it, The Doolittle "Ruptured Duck", Ted Lawson's Ruptured Duck?!

7. Gabby

Gabby

Unusual that is the cheapest model but someone sprung for a spotlight and dual backup lights. I have a 51 club coupe so I will follow you thread.

8. chopperbuilder1

chopperbuilder1

Thanks for the comments everyone, it is a nice solid start.
    @F-ONE I appreciate your thoughts and opinions on what to do, however looking into it i would be in a "ratty" car much more than i paid for this one just to get it in running and driving condition and i would much rather start with a car that is nice and fully functional that way there are that many less surprises...

9. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

My first car exactly, of course that was 1961 and it was a cream puff. Have fun.

10. Looks like I wish mine did.:D I have been sidetracked for awhile but am re-wiring with a Rebel wire kit which will add fuses still staying 6 Volt. Mine is a V8 with three speed manual, armstrong power steering and manual brakes. Will need a new interior when I am done with the body, paint, and re-wire.:)

11. chopperbuilder1

chopperbuilder1

Here is the car in front of the sons high school about that same time, maybe 1962?

car 1.jpg

12. chopperbuilder1

chopperbuilder1

Sounds awesome! Keep at it... It seems like the list always keeps growing of things left to do on these projects, LOL...

warhorseracing likes this.
  13. I've driven the 226 in my avatar over 55,000 miles, 45,000 or so since the overhaul. I've lucked into some speed equipment but the biggest improvement I made was adding a 3speed overdrive out of another '51. I can run 70-75 all day without problem. One thing about the "cheap" Deluxe, it sure does make it easier when it comes to dechroming the sides. Enjoy your new toy.

14. brady1929

brady1929

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

to me, '51 is the best looking shoebox

warhorseracing likes this.