Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mild custom '51 Pontiac Chieftain

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PhilA, Nov 4, 2019.

1. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

... Just in time to think about boarding the garage back up, there's the possibility of two hurricanes early next week. Great fun.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  2. I'd be grinning too Phil, your car sounds great!
    also, in the video, the 5th and 7th lifter (from the right) were spinning/rotating? is that ok?

chryslerfan55, loudbang and PhilA like this.
  3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

also, in the video, the 5th and 7th lifter (from the right) were spinning/rotating? is that ok?[/QUOTE]
    Yes ... the tappets wouldn't wear evenly without rotating.

4. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

They all do spin when you bring the revs up, at idle the lifters are a little worn to cause them to not rotate well; the really rapidly spinning ones were a shade tight and in constant contact with the cam, causing them to spin.
    The valves I shot the video of before they'd been adjusted... That's why they sound a little noisy still.

Phil

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  5. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Tonight, I decided to get a bit creative.

20200823_201733.jpg
    I stripped the insulation off a length of big wire, slipped it over the end of the glass inside the door and then squished the sash channel over it. It grabbed well enough to allow me to carefully wind the glass up and down. That'll do until I can get all the correct parts.

Phil

6. I have used the soft side of Velcro to make window channel felt. It has glue on the back and sticks good.

7. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Unfortunately the whole rubber channel is gone, leaving just the I-section metal behind that holds the vent window.

I found a source of the correct steel-edged rubber/felt channel so will try repair it using that.

Right now, the glass is mounted centrally in the sash so it winds up and misses the metal lug that it previously hit (and that is what cracked the glass).

I might try getting the broken rear pane to slot into the sash channel I recently got, which should hold it roughly to the correct shape and allow it to be wound up and down until I can get replacement glass.

Phil

8. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

20200824_180546.jpg
    Managed to pull the glass out without breaking it more; gently eased the sash channel onto it, which is holding it in shape.

20200824_181537.jpg
    Got the mechanism all back in as it should be and the window going up and down.

20200824_202009.jpg
    Finally, attached the felt runner channel back to the vent brace with semi flexible adhesive. That's now clamped in place and should set overnight.

That leaves me now with a full compliment of windows that go up and down (mostly, to a degree). Many thanks to our very own 302GMC.

Phil

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  9. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

20200825_083934.jpg
    I thought "I know, I'll take a picture with all the windows rolled down, because that's a first for the car while it's been in my ownership". So, there you are. There's the photo; however the rear right glass can roll down so far the top scissor falls off the track. I need to see what's missing internally, if there is a metal "shelf" inside the door that's missing to stop the window being wound down too far, or what is up with it but that's no good. Wound the window back up and it took all the felt in the rear channel I glued in last night with it. Bah.

Phil

10. goldmountain

goldmountain

Must be uncomfortable driving in Louisiana in the summer with the windows up.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Woogeroo and loudbang like this.
  11. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Yes, particularly when the inside of the glass begins to form an oily greasy haze of moisture and it's 95F out.

You need heat on the glass and cool to your face. That's not a combination a lot of cars offer.

Crank the air conditioner up and the inside of the glass dries but the outside then fogs up like a cold beer bottle, and you end up with your wipers on in the sunshine...

chryslerfan55, loudbang and brEad like this.
  12. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Aha. I eyeballed down inside the other door.
    The bottom stop appears to be attached to the door plate.

20200825_165224.jpg

Guess what didn't come with the car.

I hate shade tree mechanics.

Phil

13. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

20200825_201253.jpg
    In lieu of anything else, I gave the side glasses a deep clean. They come up respectably. If you can't fix it, clean it, right?

14. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Well, something slightly off-topic that made me smile... I sold my '65 Hillman waaaay years ago. One of those cars I wish I had never sold. Someone told me they'd seen it, rotting away down the side of a barn about a decade ago. Today, a picture surfaces of it all painted up nice, in the middle of being restored. That made me happy. I think I've got the original rear plate for it in the attic; might send it to the new owner as a morale booster.

Phil

15. Have You considered joining the Pontiac Oakland Club International (POCI.ORG).?

16. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

I had, but it pays really to have the car up and on the road first.

17. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Tonight, more glass.
    20200826_160559.jpg
    Subject: Front driver's side windshield. Arguably the most important pane of glass on the car, and one of the least clean.

20200826_161841.jpg
    After a deep cleaning, significantly better.

20200826_161825.jpg
    From inside the car, the difference is clear to see.

20200826_184943.jpg
    Next up, the rear view mirror. It was stuck in the night-time position. Pulling it forward would result in it snapping back again as soon as you let go. Loosened the thing off and undid it from the pillar.

20200826_185146.jpg
    Screwdriver to gently prise it open.

20200826_190326.jpg
    Mirror glass cleaned, finger tab cleaned (yuk) and adjusted because over time the little arms that hold it snug to the glass had become very slack, and it was able to move in relation to the mirror, so the spring would never fall over-center and lock in place.
    Attempted to clean the case, gave up and threw it in the dishwasher because it needs to be nice and hot to clean up, hotter than I fancied getting my hands under the faucet. That'll be ready tomorrow. I'll give it a coat of wax because the chrome is beginning to get all pitted, which should slow that degradation down. It'll also look nicer in through the windshield, clean...

Phil

18. loudbang

loudbang

You should try a "Claybar"on those old windows it really removes more gunk than just windex or soap and water.

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  19. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Is going to but the glass is surprisingly not very scratched or pitted for its age. A sharp blade and then Windex has brought it up clear enough not to glare. My main problem was the previous keeper had clear coated the roof but not protected the glass against over-spray, so that all needed to be removed from the surface. The surface itself is still smooth so that brought it up clean.

Claybar is excellent for where the screen is hazy or scratched by the wipers, it pulls all the dirt out of the pocks and grooves, as you say.

Phil

20. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

20200827_164107_1.gif
    Fixed the mirror.

Phil

21. goldmountain

goldmountain

Learned something new. Didn't think day/night mirrors were available back then.

loudbang and PhilA like this.
  22. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Yup. It was a paid option on the Deluxe.

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  23. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Continuing a theme, I just ordered a couple new mirrors because the ones in the car are loose and one is cracked and no longer silver.
    Ordered a new traffic light viewer to replace the sun-crazed lens that's in this one, which flares quite badly in the sunshine.

That should all be in next week.

Phil

24. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

And gosh, it's two years today I dragged this home with me.

How time flies.

Phil

25. 64dropptop

64dropptop
    from union city

Enjoyed ur thread well detailed and man ur work on point!! I’m Pontiac fan as well I have - 1939 Pontiac 8 convertible and 38 Pontiac convertible!!

kidcampbell71, loudbang and PhilA like this.
  26. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Went to Tractor Supply. Big jug of 30 weight diesel oil, antifreeze and some brake fluid and brake cleaner purchased.

Today was "it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission".

20200829_173602.jpg

I did however finish cleaning the glass this afternoon. The haze around the bottom edge is where the glass is beginning to delaminate.

Phil

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  27. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Similar shot, but finally I polished the side of the car. Only took 2 years.

20200830_132656.jpg

Better. Needed doing. Absolute déluge today, everything flooded.

Phil

28. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

A final thought for today- I have just seen the progression day by day on this car, so stepping back in time a couple years does make me realize how it's come along.

2 years ago.

Compared to today.

Happy with that so far.

Phil

29. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

That’s great, love this thread. You hooked me with the radio rebuild and I’ve been following ever since. Great job, love the car

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 and PhilA like this.
  30. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Thanks. I stopped earlier to take account of what's changed between those two films.
    For one, all the dashboard works now. The switches work correctly. The clock works. The lights all work. The windows go up and down. The horn works. The gearbox changes gear properly. The engine no longer sounds like a bag of bolts. It's got a radio. The antenna works. The rearview mirror works. The wipers work. The screen wash works. All the locks have keys. The paint has a half decent gloss to it. The heater works.
    Probably more that I've forgotten, too.

Phil