Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Got a free car! So why not?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Javier Garcia, Aug 24, 2020.

1. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All my family gives me is shit! That would be my new driver.

2. pumpman

pumpman

Sometimes shit just happens in a really good way.

3. You're going to love driving this car. Mopar had some of the best riding and best handling cars of the late '40s/early '50s. An old Mopar flathead 6 is one of the easiest engines to work on

4. Javier Garcia

Javier Garcia

I'm blessed and have a great family.

5. Javier Garcia

Javier Garcia

It's running like a top right now. Just have to go over the brakes and get some fresh tires on her.

6. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Heck!!!!! Who else gets a free car in that shape .:)

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There seem to be a good number of those old round body post war Mopars around here that are done up about like that. Most stick with the real close to stock with real nice paint jobs and interior but not outlandish. If it were me I'd just lower it a bit and maybe put some flipper caps on it and drive it after making sure that the brakes and safety items are up to snuff. Less is more and too much personalization like a metalflake roof may be a deal killer when you go to sell it.

8. All I can say is...WOW! Not was I was expecting when you said free car... That is NICE and would make a great driver!

9. toml24

toml24

As it was a FREE car, an option is;
    Give it to a local charity with impeccable credentials and have them sell it to raise funds.
    This method (sorta) gives you a good feeling, and, whoever buys it and whatever they do to it should not give you seconds thoughts about who buys it and their ultimate plans for the car.

chryslerfan55 and nitrobrother like this.
  10. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

[​IMG]

I love the Lizard Graphic on the front tire. Lizard Skin Whitewalls, I'll have to look them up.;)
    A free car is like a free puppy, if you're not careful you'll wind up loving the dang thing.
    That joker looks pretty low like it is.
    That's a nice car, enjoy.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  11. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Well, you asked.
    I hesitated to respond (I felt it may be a Hi-jack), but then I remembered the giver.

A man I do not know gave me this car. He worked with my brother, I have yet to lay eyes on him. It's been over 10 years.
    He asked my brother, "Do you know anybody who likes Fords? I've got a old one I want to give away. It's in the way".

It's kind of a Southern thing, but I gave the man $500, all I had free at the time.

I about fell over dead when I saw it on the trailer. All I knew was, that it was a Fairlane.
    It was a 1964 Ford Fairlane 500 289 Sports Coupe.
    [​IMG]thumbnail (2) by Travis Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]thumbnail (3) by Travis Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Untitled by Travis Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Untitled by Travis Brown, on Flickr
    No rust out anywhere. Garage parked since '77. Locked up 289, amateur re-spray...
    The car is special. I'm really funny about it.

There is something special about a free gift.
    There's something about it that makes you proud.
    There's something about it that makes you feel worthy although you don't deserve it.
    There's no way you can repay it. Although I did give the man some money, 500 bucks for a Sports Coupe? He gave it to me.
    Although you're not expected or required to, you need to live up to it.
    You need to use that gift.
    It needs to bring you happiness.
    After all, that's what it was given for.

A car is just a car. I have received such a greater gift.

scott27, i.rant, vtx1800 and 12 others like this.
  12. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

So a member of your family calls you up and gives you a car. You only have to go over there around midnight when it is rainy. So when you get over there your family member tells you that he had to move it over to a neighbor's garage down the street. So you go down the street and find the house and the garage and you see a note on the front door of the house reading that the family won free tickets to a movie playing in the next state (about 60 miles away). So you open the garage door pull out the car and hook your tow bar on the front bumper and off you go.

catdad49, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  13. exterminator

exterminator

What a Blessing!:)

Javier Garcia and loudbang like this.
  14. loudbang

loudbang

:eek: FREE.................. better go buy a bunch of lotto tickets this is your lucky week. :rolleyes:

15. v8flat44

v8flat44

Very nice....DRIVE IT...don't cut on it.....02 cents or nonsense...it is GR8

16. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I would put a set of 57 Dodge wheel covers on it, maybe skirts but that's it. Don't put a glass pack on it, it will sound horrible. Keep the exhaust quiet and just let it be what it is, a nice family cruiser...

You have a real nice garage and house. Thats the kind of place my wife and I are looking for. A nice big garage and no grass and trees to take car of...

v8flat44 and Javier Garcia like this.
  17. It doesn't look like " an old junk car " to me. It looks nice, and I am happy for you.

18. holy crap only thing I get for free are colds !!

so do I !!

Great looking car and they ride real nice in stock form, I like your plans for it.

19. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. On lowering the front end look where the sprigs sit on their base on the A. Is that base riveted on and removable. If so if you remove that spring base get a schedule 40 pipe cap (black iron) that the spring will sit in & take it and weld it on the bottom of the A that will lower the front a bunch. This will give you full spring effect and eliminate that bounce you get when you cut coils. Should still ride good.
    I have a 50 Plymouth Deluxe 4 door and it is the same body style & original engine like came in your Dodge. I am not going to lower my 50 but I was looking at this lowering method for my 46 Chevy Coupe before it got rear ended. Good luck, Jimmie J&J two.jpg

20. skot71

skot71

Wow, your free car is much nicer than my free car (avatar pic)! My parents gave me mine. I understand the family thing. That's such a unique looking car. I like it!

Javier Garcia likes this.
  21. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

ol-nobull is right on the money. That's one hell of an idea!!

I never had a good experience cutting springs.. I usually took one coil off though, that's probably why.

22. vinfab

vinfab

Free cars do happen although most are not as nice as the ones posted. However one of my best friends got the same offer from a cousin of his wife, come get this car or its going to the junk yard. This is what it looked like when he got it, 235 and a stick, but with a cleanup and buff. Currently has a 283/200r o.d. and no name 5 spokes. 100_0034.jpg

23. check out 'halfass customs' on youtube - he just chopped a Canadian version of this Dodge

scott27, VANDENPLAS and Javier Garcia like this.
  24. That's a pretty nice car and you certainly can't beat the price. Congratulations. HRP

VANDENPLAS and Javier Garcia like this.
  25. catdad49

catdad49

Duals with glasspacks, Done!

26. I would turn it into a mild 50s custom. It's a cool car as it is.
    I also like the colour combo a lot.
    You are lucky.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. Javier Garcia

Javier Garcia

Thanks for the info!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  28. 62rebel

62rebel

Aaaand that would be another one lost

RMONTY, Surfcityrocker, F-ONE and 2 others like this.