Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 ranchero build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sarahSERENADE, Mar 7, 2020.

1. ...........Excellent point! Might not be quite as critical in a Ranchero, but in a '40 Ford Coupe (or Sedan for that matter) it's hyper-critical to number them as you take 'em out.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  2. My '40 Coupe has seven separate bows, although two of them are very short and go off at an angle from the rear window. That still leaves 5 to have in the right location.

3. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Good afternoon guys!
    Just giving you all an update since I haven't yet today.. I'm currently sitting in the garage.. this is definitely a project, no doubt.. but nothing I can't tackle. This ain't my first rodeo, as they say. I appreciate you guys telling me about the rods, fortunately I only got two and they were easy to tell apart. Posting a picture of my debacle as I'm staring at it going "my arms are exhausted". I'm going to have to hand sew this thing because I don't want any "lines" threw the design. So far it's looking good and hoping it looks better when it's finished. It doesn't look like a lot right now, but to me, it's progress. My goal by the end of the night is to have where I want to sew the rods in place. I talk a lot about giving credit to my dad, and in a way I still have to, but in this department, THANK YOU MOM!!! I'm SO GLAD she taught me how to see and create things with fabric!

Now, let's get on with it!!! IMG_20200821_204249650.jpeg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Hello friends,
    Sorry for the delay in posting. Today was a family day so we did not work on the Ranchero. Instead, my son drove his first car (it was on a track, otherwise I wouldn't be here talking to you) and we enjoyed eachother's company. Sorry if that disappointed anyone, but I will be back at em tomorrow! May even go to a junk yard!! We'll see. Snapchat-714900831.jpeg IMG_20200822_180146592.jpeg

5. AHotRod

AHotRod

Your doing a great job Sarah .... put everyone else in the house on it with you, .... back in 1974-ish there was a guy and his wife and kids that raced a early Falcon Ranchero at our local drag strip, they all had worked together to fix it up to race and they painted on the side "It's a Family Affair".
    God Bless

6. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

This is definitely a family affair car as well! Dad helped with welding the floors, my husband is helping with the motor, and my son is helping with motivation! He wants to drive to Wildwood in the ranchero!! He is a little small to help me with a lot of the stuff I am doing, but I imagine there will be more he can help with later on.

7. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Sorry everyone for not giving a full update last night, but I wasn't done doing what I needed to to be able to show off. So far I have sewn the bows, and sewn the headliner itself to have no seams showing on the outside of the headliner. I'm very excited on how it came out and proud of the work I've done! It's come out very well and I will be test fitting it one last time before adding reinforcements to it. Can't wait to see how it officially turned out! IMG_20200824_151409638.jpeg

8. catdad49

catdad49

Sew far, Sew good! (Sorry, couldn't resist.) Family time is very important, especially in the formative years. Keep up the Great work, Carp.

9. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's some Damn fine stitch work Sarah! If you ever decide to open an upolstery shop, let me know, I have a job for you!!! :D Looks Great!!! :cool:

10. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Lol idk about that! The only reason I took this one on is because it was flat(ish), square, and only two bows! What are you trying to reupholster?

11. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seeing the picture of your son behind the wheel reminds me of the time over 20 years ago when we took our son who was around 7 at the time to Lego Land. They had a driving course that the kids could go on after first having an orientation. I still remember him taking it very seriously using his hand signals and looking all directions at an intersection while driving. After the course he got his official Lego Land driver's license that my wife has to this very day. It may have been a good thing because he still takes driving very seriously.

12. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

So I did a "dry fit" and was impressed with how it fit. I still have to out insulation at the top, so I'll have to put it up again, but that will be after I receive the window seals. Not sure when that will be, but there are many other things I can work on in the mean time. Thought I'd share progress tonight tho! Btw, sorry for my appearance, I was already ready for bed but wanted to squeeze this in before I went to sleep for the night (not that it really matters ) 1598323635341.jpeg

Elcohaulic, AHotRod, catdad49 and 5 others like this.
  13. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Wow! How wonderful! I didn't realize they did anything like that! I think it also instills a love for the art of cars. You put them behind the wheel early and they'll never leave.

14. loudbang

loudbang

Well you can be sure nobody else will have a headliner just like yours. :rolleyes:

15. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I really like the pattern of your headliner fabric. It should look fantastic..

I've been following this thread since the beginning. I love these kinds of builds (the kind I can afford LOL)... I always liked the 64 Ranch, Ford like GM went to the smaller body/chassis for there SUV. By the way that's what the factories call these cars/trucks, SUV...
    The small cab in them is such a welcome thing compared to regualer cars with back seats. I want to put a bench seat in my el Camino, it has buckets now. That way I can cuddle with my wife (we still do that after 45 years) or ride one of the grandchildren with us..

16. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Thank you, the pattern is definitely different and that's what I was going for. I want this car to be mine and mine alone. I want it to be recognizable and I want it to be "mine". When I saw the fabric it spoke to me that I couldn't move past it, so I just knew. I am very fortunate to have a bench seat in mine, or I'd be looking for one. Idk if you are on Facebook, but there's a huge amount of groups on there dedicated to specifically to certain cars. If you've been looking for a while, you may want to check them out because they may be able to help you find one if they don't have one themselves. I am apart of several ranchero sites on there and have gotten close to some of the guys that frequent the sites. It just brings people closer and knowledge is power.

17. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Personally, I'm not gonna even try to upolster ANYTHING!!! I know my limitation's!!! LOL!!! ;)But, seeing as you asked, I have a '56 Chevy Belair (my avatar) that needs an interior and I'm looking for someone with pride of Craftsmanship and Vision that can get the job done. :D Keep on Rockin' it!!! Been here since the beginning, Gonna be here 'till it's done! :cool: Jedd

18. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

That is one cool looking Belair! Always had a soft spot for them. With the love the Belairs had, I'm sure you could find something made for it if you didn't want to do it yourself. Also, thank you for being so supportive of my build! I got a lot of people rooting me on that I never imagined would. This started as a "hey, I'm Sarah and I have a plan to build this ranchero that's been sitting for the last 20 years" and it's turned into SO much more. I am so incredibly thankful for all the love and support that has poured into the project. I have met so many incredible people on this website and on others. They've inspired me and given me ideas. I am thankful for each and every one of you who come here to ready my incredibly long post for entertainment!

If anyone is interested in what happened today, it really wasn't anything exciting. My son came to help me scuff the back cab wall.. and my husband and I attempted to take apart some of the dash. There were some pretty Nast things in that dash, some of which is never like to speak of again... But I know soon it'll be worth it!
    IMG_20200825_175021635.jpeg IMG_20200825_222332021.jpeg

19. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Child labor! :D Teach him how much fun sanding is before it turns into work!:p
    Just kidding Sarah, it’s always good when the family is involved. My boys helped some when they were small, now I’m hoping my grandson will calm down enough to help like they did.
    Keep it up! Enjoying seeing you and your car!

20. Shop inspector checking on Mom's work.:p "Looks like you missed a spot here, PAY ATTENTION!":D

21. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

He's gotta be about the same age as mine, what's that fella, around 5 or 6? Always awesome involving the whole family...

22. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Believe it or not, he's 4! He got his daddy's tall genes and I need to get this car running before he gets too tall for it! Lol I'm not sure I'm making it out tonight guys, I have had a migraine that knocked me out for a few hours. Still trying tho. It's almost his bedtime, so we shall see.

23. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Ok, just came back from the garage. Spent a couple hours and feel I've gotten nowhere. I am struggling. I tried for at least two hours on trying to remove the ignition switch on this car. The bezel was super glued into the dash.. I know this because the glue was dripped all the way down to the bottom of the dash. It popped out with ease but I don't have the key... The bezel is destroyed with super glue, so no worries on destroying it further, however trying to remove the assembly has proven difficult. Anyone have any ideas? I saw someone on YouTube drilled the switch out, but that makes me nervous. Any direction for help would be appreciated. I'm really at a loss here. Thanks in advance and sorry I don't really have an update... But I imagine there may be days like this.

24. Sorry to hear of your migraine situation. I know how painful they can be. I had a girlfriend years ago who would get them and all she could do was find a dark room, cover her head with a pillow and try her best to sleep. It was disabling for her, miserable 'til it passed. I felt so bad for her, there was nothing I could do to help. As far as the ignition switch, I'm unfamiliar with the Ranchero arrangement, but I'm sure someone will chime in to help. Don't feel like you have to update us everyday as life often has a way of pulling us from our projects now and again............Don.:)

25. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Man, he is big for four! And I feel ya, I'm six two and squeezing in the shoebox actually feels like squeezing into a shoebox some days!

26. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I believe the lock cylinder would have to come out first to get the bezel off. If you don't have the key, drilling the cylinder out may be the only option.

sarahSERENADE and loudbang like this.
  27. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Yeah they can get debilitating. I try to push through them. Sometimes an hour of sleep and an ice pack can help, sometimes it takes a couple of days for the go away. The fog that's before/after is the worst tho... It makes me feel like an absolute idiot. Can't think at all and I'm just better off staying silent lol
    Sorry to hear about that girl, they're not something to bat an eye at..
    Still not completely sure of what I'm going to do with the ignition switch yet. Sounding like drilling it out is my best bet

28. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Yes he is, his daddy is really skinny and tall, and so is he. One of the tallest in his "class" (were going virtual this year )

29. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Yeah it's looking like that my only option right now. The bezel has been broken for a while because it was super glued in.. I was able to pop it out easily because it was brittle, however now it's just dangling there and I'm somewhat afraid of drilling it honestly.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  30. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

That is one COOL El Camino!!! I really love them, one of my absolute favorites! I always get real excited seeing one going down the road. I'll get one one day, and my husband will just have to deal with it! I'll find space somewhere.