Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage A day at the races

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Paul, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Wow - Cool - Thanks

lothiandon1940, loudbang and Paul like this.
  2. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Thanks for the pics, looks like fun.

loudbang and Paul like this.
  3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

A few pics to add, the 2312 Dragster is my old car, they did a nice job finishing it, she drives it well. IMG_5341.JPG IMG_5343.JPG IMG_5344.JPG IMG_5346.JPG IMG_5347.JPG IMG_5348.JPG IMG_5352.JPG IMG_5354.JPG

catdad49, wicarnut, ClarkH and 12 others like this.
  4. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

More with Rocky ! Big thanks to Riverdale Raceway and the Estranged Car Club, for making it a fun day. IMG_5358.JPG IMG_5359.JPG IMG_5362.JPG IMG_5364.JPG IMG_5367.JPG IMG_5368.JPG IMG_5370.JPG IMG_5372.JPG IMG_5373.JPG

catdad49, wicarnut, ClarkH and 11 others like this.
  5. Thanks for the pics, beautiful countryside on the road and at the event.
    Great cars but that goes without saying.

6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

40 years ago, Mt St.Helens Volcano blew, just a short drive up the road, utter devastation !

Stogy, J_J2, bchctybob and 4 others like this.
  7. Wow, I remember that as a 20 yr old. Had no idea of where though in the States.
    Shows there always light after dark!
    Would have been devastating for years after that I imagine.
    Thinking about it, the tv footage showed hills for miles downwind just covered in ash and what was left of the trees.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    Stogy, Paul, KiWinUS and 1 other person like this.
  8. AndersF

AndersF

Instead to click alot of likes i just say great pics.
    The yellow T is a real beuty.

9. loudbang

loudbang

Good shots both of you. Thanks for taking us along for the ride. :) Too bad rocky has abandoned us here on the HAMB really miss his threads.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  10. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, a nice way to spend a day! Beautiful scenery too! Way cool cars on top, and to see THE Orange Crate running and racing in real life will mostly likely remain a dream of mine! Thanks for taking us along!

Stogy, Paul and loudbang like this.
  11. Outstanding coverage, guys. So good to see folks out and having such fun. Thanks for the pics and videos. Love it.

Stogy, loudbang and Paul like this.
  12. Great pics, love the fourdoor Austin A40.

Stogy, loudbang, Paul and 2 others like this.
  13. 392

Looks like a blast. Better than a parking lot lawn chair cruise.

14. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fantastic

15. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-8-23_5-9-37.png
    Vnak photo

Hey Guys,

During our week’s long vacation to the Portland area from So Cal, one of the most interesting places was the side trip through Castle Rock and Toutle. We must have driven right by that old dragstrip when we were on Highway 504 out of Castle Rock and through Toutle. Driving over the long span, Hoffstadt Creek Bridge on the way to Mt. St. Helens and back was fun. That was a cool drive. It must have been an awful destructive sight in 1980.

Then we arrived at what we came to see, Mt. St. Helens. (Or what is left of it.) It was in the middle of summer and we could not get closer to the base as the trails were closed for maintenance. Plus, it was hotter than a sunny day at the beach. The whole area near the monument just gave us the chills, despite the heat.

On our next road trip when the pandemic is over, we plan on going up the South side of Mt. St. Helens for a different view. Yes, it will be one of those Northwest road trips, again, but, we really like that area of the USA, besides So Cal. It would be our 2nd choice of an area to live, on one of those San Juan Islands, with a boat or two.

You guys are lucky, as that dragstrip is way out there with only the animals for neighbors. Plus, that drive out to the monument was one great drive, luckily, we did not get stuck behind a giant RV both ways.

Jnaki

Nice roadster, nice photo and it looks like everyone had lots of fun out in the “tulies…(tules)”
    upload_2020-8-23_5-15-5.png

Stogy, Paul, camcrusher and 1 other person like this.
  16. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I had a short visit with Paul, it was nice to meet him in person. He is the kind of guy that represents the heart and sole of this forum, and has always impressed me with building methods and results. His '27 roadster is timeless, and very well built. The 324 Olds engine is also well tuned. Also, he is around 175 miles from me, but has relatives only 10 miles away, so I am sure we will stay in contact.

17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Loudbang, Rocky is insanely busy with work and family, his Grandson races Mini-Sprints on dirt. He is stopping by in a day or so, on his trip back south, I will tell him he is missed. I call him "The Modern Day Tommy Ivo", he is the salt of the earth, never disappoints !

18. Fueler38

Fueler38
    from Tennessee

Awesome stuff - makes me want to tackle the 2,500 mile road trip from TN for the next round.

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That looked like serious fun.

20. bchctybob

bchctybob

Looks like a great day all around, so glad you all got to participate. We sure need positive diversions these days. That’s by far the best kind!
    Thanks for the coverage guys and thanks to the Estranged car club for their efforts, they sure know how to enjoy this hobby of ours.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Yes it was some serious fun.
    The time slip shown was about my average "good" pass time.
    I'm blaming the slow times on the inexperienced driver, the car could use some improvement, a faster shifting transmission and better hook would be helpful but a little practice is what is needed here.
    What a great day though, thanks again for all that made it happen, seriously.

22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

is it an 1/8th mile track?? looked like the time slip said 1320 and low 9 seconds??

23. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

It is 1/8 mile.

24. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

This is absolutely amazing! Marty Strode just emailed me this thread this morning. The photos are fantastic, and the cars in them are even better. I'm not sure how much the Estranged car club has to do with this, but everything I've seen from them so far is above first rate, and right on target. Besides the Orange Crate, I saw more than a few other cars straight out of the '50s-'60s HRM. And another 12-Port Jimmy. Truly wish I could have been a participant. As someone else said, Why can't they have ANYTHING like this around here anywhere!!?? I've gotta be at the next one--somehow.
    Pat Ganahl

25. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I watched the Orange Crate run lots of times in the early 60's. I sent a load of videos to @ jnaki, the master at dissecting old films. He should be able to post the OC running without the body one of these days !

lothiandon1940, Stogy, Baumi and 4 others like this.
  26. Paul

Paul
    Editor

yes, 1/8th mile
    I'm pretty confident I could shave at least couple tenths if I could get into second faster and had both tires hook up.
    that would roughly equal about 13 seconds in the 1/4.
    plenty fast for this little old streeter

27. ......very cool stuff there;...not too sure about that T-bird ...thanks fer the pics

loudbang, bchctybob and Paul like this.
  28. Thanks for sharing Paul, It was a great time !

29. wicarnut

wicarnut

Thanks for ride along, great pics !

30. earlymopar

earlymopar

It's a shame that this event doesn't get more publicity BEFORE it takes place. A lot more people would make plans to attend.

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.