Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods WHO MAKES THE BEST WATER PUMPS?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 17, 2020.

1. 5window

5window

I am not sure the issue is where the pump was made but, who it was made for. In other words, if you go to China ( a big place with many different levels of manufacturing capability) and tell them you want a water pump made and priced to sell at Discount Auto, you'll get a far different pump than if you order pumps made to a quality standard and then priced accordingly. Sadly, these days, with corporate and worker attitudes the way they are, Made in USA is not a guarantee of a quality part,either. :( If you go to a discount chain store, exactly what are you expecting?

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and 51504bat like this.
  2. RmK57

RmK57

On my other project i'm using a CVF pump on my BBF. Apparently made in the US. It seems to a direct copy of the HD pumps the Lincolns, T-birds, big Mercs got, but aluminum of coarse. It doesn't cool any better or worse than cast iron one it replaced.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

About 20 years ago I had a cooling issue on a big block Chevy. I put a Flow Kooler on it, and it brought temps into a reasonable range. It lasted until I took it apart later to paint it, didn't have a gasket for the rear plate, so I just used sealant, which then pushed the shaft forward and jammed it. I replaced that one with a less expensive parts store unit that's still in use. Probably a Cardone.

My son was fighting on overheating issue on his sbc a few years ago and we put a Flow Cooler on it as well. It worked well for a few hundred miles until the impeller fell off and his nearly new 327 went into nuclear meltdown. Summit warrantied the pump, but he still needed another engine.

I've been known to run original GM pumps from the 60's that still work, just because I had them. I've tossed a few lately for lack of need, but maybe I shouldn't have.

Devin

3W JOHN, olscrounger and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. Did it make any signification difference John? HRP

OLSKOOL57 and 3W JOHN like this.
  5. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Danny I put the new pump on this morning but I haven't drove the car yet.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. 5window

5window

Well, so far it's working perfectly.

7. squirrel

squirrel

I use whatever they sell at the parts store...no problems.

8. 392

9. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Danny, I drove the car to Greenville this morning and the car has never run this cool, when I pulled back in the driveway the car was 170, I let the car idle for 15 minutes the car never got above 190 degrees.

10. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Skip Haney rebuilt the pumps in my '34 Roadster - '51 Merc w/Edelbrock heads. So far, so good.

11. Was it hot there in Central? We had a big storm here last night and we had another big mess this morning,I am happy Brenda's or my daughters car was not sitting in front of the shop like normal. HRP

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    OLSKOOL57 and 3W JOHN like this.
  12. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Yes it was, I was shocked the car ran cooler, I don't know if the old water pump was that bad or the Elderbrock is that much better.
    I drove the car to dinner yesterday afternoon and to lowes and sitting in traffic it leveled out at 190.

Sorry to hear about the storm damage,If you want I can come down and give you a hand Monday.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

Any parts I buy are from Orielly. I ask for the best they sell that has a lifetime warranty

14. John, I really do appreciate the offer but we got most of it cleaned up yesterday , I should have everything finished up by lunch tomorrow.

I will let you know when we have the BBQ & HUGE bonfire! :D HRP

15. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Second that! .....STEWART!

3W JOHN, partssaloon and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  16. I read the reviews on the Stewart water pump and it seems it has a loyal following, it too is pricey like the Elderbrock. HRP

3W JOHN and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  17. I saw that somewhere else last night. What gives?

3W JOHN, OLSKOOL57 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  18. Probably doesn't mean anything to you their water pump is made in the USA!

It's Edelbrock, as good as it gets. Best pump on the market! Made in USA! This is so fine with it's machined surfaces and 3/16" thick back plate.

All that means is two Southerners misspelled a word, oh the horror! :eek:HRP

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    3W JOHN, OLSKOOL57 and badvolvo like this.
  19. I saw it on a t-shirt, like a real Edelbrock logo.:confused:

As I say, I've had one.

20. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

aluminum edelbrock must be 15 plus years old no leaks but motor was non running during my build.

21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

There was a water pump rebuilder in the San Carlos area that had a patent on a carbon fiber seal he used in flathead pumps, '32-'53. He had expanded his business, and I had him rebuild the water pump on the black '56 Lincoln Continental Mk. II that I rebuilt the engine in.
    Friend Ron Dunn bought the enterprise, and was rebuilding flathead pumps thru the '80s. Great product, never a leak. Ron has a Midget race car collection now, 8 car stable. Exhibition races. Anybody used the product?

22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The water pump on my 327 is a GM Performance Parts item.
    My roadster engine has a Stewart pump.

20200826_135912.jpg 20200826_135813.jpg

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  23. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

“Pricey” as Danny says, but we got “Quality “I do believe.

24. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

I have a Edelbrock Aliminum Water Pump also. Nothing wrong with it, after researching and reading on Stewart. I opted for their pump (SBC).

25. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

My roadster has a Zip's water pump riser on the 350, and that requires a mid 70s or so 6 cyl Chevy pump. On advice of the late Randy Nash "Deuce Roadster" I used the HD version of the aluminum bodied pump from Auto Zone. Works great and been on there several years.
    Odd thing about it is that a couple years ago a retired mechanic friend of mine who was examining the setup, having never previously seen one.
    As many old line mechanics are prone to do, he reached down and grabbed the fan (engine OFF) pushed the blade up and down to discover that there was play in the bearings on the pump shaft could be wiggled a good bit, enough to feel it!
    Started watching it, easy enough with no hood, but so far no leaks.
    Guess I really should look into getting another one for a spare, since it's not a normally stocked item at the store and has to be ordered.
    Only complaint is that the nipple for heater hose, used also for required bypass, is cast into the pump body and not exactly the right size, at least on mine. I had to make use of a coarse file to get it round and the rightsize. Guess that's another reason I should go ahead and get a spare. It's just that I have a total dislike of the local Auto Zone store, where service is terrible.
    Glad I found this thread to remind me.

26. I bought a spare 6 cylinder w/p several years ago, It's still in the box.:D HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  27. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Who makes the best flathead water pumps?

28. I don't know but I will bump the question for you John. HRP

29. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio