Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 59ab is going to kill me

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mr. h, Aug 21, 2020.

1. So.... 47 ford stock flathead, dual 97’s-new, new rebuilt points carb From bubbas, all new fuel system, new tank-pump-lines. Will fire right up and idle fine, purrs actually. Give it gas sitting still and it stutters, drive it and it’s like it’s running on 4 cylinders and stutters, gets slightly better when I shift into second and flat out it’s a little better but still like the brakes are on. I have tried adjusting carbs lean to rich. 1.5 psi to 3 psi and everywhere in between and no change at all. It has all new wires and plugs and coil from bubba. I’ve read a bunch of threads and tried the propane trick and it’s not sucking air anywhere. Any ideas besides shoot or sell it all?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

What do the spark plugs look like? They can tell a lot about how an engine is running.

clem likes this.
  3. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

The brakes aren’t sticking are they? Some other kind of parasitic drag maybe?

4. Any chance a brake hose is gone bad inside,and holding pressure on the brakes? A bad rear would hold both brakes on.As far as the carbs do you have a primary,and a secondary? Two primaries would give you two acclerator pumps which would be too much.

5. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

A simple thing to do is check that fuel is coming out of all four ports of the dual carbs. Take off the air filters and look down each port while turning the throttle levers, you should see fuel coming out port, if not a jet is clogged. Also check each power valve is squirting fuel.

jaracer likes this.
  6. jaracer

jaracer

Find some old guy with an ignition scope and verify that your ignition is working properly. It only takes a few minutes. If the ignition is okay, start looking into the carbs as the problem.

mr. h likes this.
  7. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

You’re right north of me.
    I plan to make the cruise-in there tomorrow afternoon.
    I’ll be driving a black 34 pickup with a flathead you can’t miss. If your around stop and say hi. Rick.

Things to check. For a start
    Fuel pressure off idle.
    Timing advancing

mr. h and loudbang like this.
  8. clem

clem

what brand of carbs, and how have they been set up ?

ClarkH and Petejoe like this.
  9. v8flat44

v8flat44

Coil ?? I've seen a new Standard coil bad out of the box.....

10. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Had one do similar things. Timing wasn't advancing. Cleaned and freed up dizzy and all problems went away. Just a thought...

mr. h likes this.
  11. That’s the way I am leaning however the dizzy is freshly rebuilt, can I adjust the timing using that screw on the side? And if so which direction?

12. I’ve tried a few different ones cause I thought the same.

13. Hey man!!!! My car will be there since I can push it there from my house. Purple 47 coupe. Which way do I adjust the timing? The psi is staying pretty much the same revved or idle. And if anything it’s running rich.

14. I honestly thought that at first so I put it on blocks and everything spins freely. I was disappointed haha

15. They are actually pretty black.

16. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got a stock intake and carb? If all else fails, put it back on and try that. I don't mind changing intakes on flatheads since you don't have to drain the coolant or reset the timing. It's 15 minute job at worst.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  17. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Have you checked the vacuum line to the distributor? Mine was doing that and the line was clogged. Would idle great but wouldn't rev.

WB69 and mr. h like this.
  18. No but I will.

19. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

x2. Are these genuine Strombergs or the nortoriously problematic knockoffs?

97s have a summer setting and winter setting. I think the idle is the same but winter setting delivers more gas on acceleration. Just a thought.

20. Is it a dual point/dual coil ignition (like a Harmon Collins)? If so, you may be running on 1/2 the ignition (4 cylinders). I've had that happen a couple times on mine...both times it was one of the 2 condensors that failed.

mr. h likes this.
  21. No it’s all single set up.

22. They are genuine, from summit so I certainly hope so. Where is this setting?

23. rusty valley

rusty valley

if its a stock ford crab, they are duel point, and if it came from bubba it was set on a scope, so you should not have to adjust the timing on the side screw. that screw does not change much, you would hardly notice the change without a timing light. my bet is on coil. got good blue spark?

24. LQQKER

LQQKER

1st....bad condenser, 2nd.... bad coil....had them both .... Once that resolved , no power and after fire through exhaust....running lean. 59ab, 2 94s, blocked power valves.....started at 50 jets...runs well with 56 jets. Good luck

mr. h likes this.
  25. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

If your plugs are black they're carbon fouled. That would indicate a weak spark and would act just the way you describe how your engine is running. That doesn't sound like a fuel problem.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  26. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Near the base of the carb where the lower end of the accelerator pump rod attaches. There are two attachment points labeled S and W for summer and winter.
    IMG_5131.JPG

27. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Thank you kind sir, you have taught me something new today. :)

clem and ClarkH like this.
  28. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Taught me too....

ClarkH likes this.
  29. clem

clem

Yep, me also, but I’ve never played with ‘97s, just ‘94s.

30. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Missed you tonight at Louisville.

The 97 Stock jet size of 045 is too large for dual carbs. Try an .043.
    Power valves should be around #67.
    What have you done to verify you’re getting proper advance on bubbas distributor?