Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Riley Automotive Frames & Reputation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by waid786, Aug 19, 2020.

1. waid786

waid786
    from Indiana

For my 38 Ford Pickup frame, I am trying to decide between Boling Brothers and Riley Automotive. Boling Brothers frame is really nice all mandrel bent but narrow since it is really made for channeled 1932 to 1934 Ford pickups. Riley's frame is wide and fits better for 38 an on pickups.

Did some digging on Riley Automotive and seems to have had issues 6-8 years ago so I am little bit concerned. I will be using my credit card so I have some projection from credit card company.

Is Eric Schill and Riley Automotive reputation any better these days?

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/riley-frames-anyone-use-them.751308/

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/riley-automotive-caveat-emptor.649324/

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Roothawg

Roothawg

Look into Hot Shoe Hot Rods.
    https://hotshoehotrods.com/35-40-ford-chassis.html
    They build nice stuff. I have toured their facility. You can buy a perimeter frame and add all of your own bracing etc. I would buy a frame built for a 35-40. Don't try and use a 32 chassis etc. You will waste a bunch of time and probably get a whole lot less aggravation.

3. Eric was a pretty cool dude and then things fell apart. He hung with us one year at the HAMB Drags. I forget all the details but he had a bunch of life issues and spiraled out of control. I hope things are better for him.

tombstone, -Brent- and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I'd tell Boling Bros what your building. They're always looking for new things to do and I'll bet they will accommodate your needs.

Woogeroo and kidcampbell71 like this.

5. They have built 2 or 3 frames for Mctim. Nice work

6. waid786

waid786
    from Indiana

I spoke with both companies and gave me lots of details and were great to talk to and both will cost same. Boling Brothers don't make anything for 38 and was recommended their 34 frame. Here is a 38 with 34 frame. You can see its a lot narrower.

SNAG-0087.jpg

7. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

I surprised Boling Bros weren't more receptive to adding a new product to their lineup?

kidcampbell71 and Tman like this.
  8. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

I've known Eric for over twenty years and yes he did go through a rough patch years ago with some really tragic family events. But he's been back in business and doing well for quite some time and can be trusted to do a fine job on anything he takes on.

9. thats great to hear Doug!

10. I can say that I got a chassis from Eric for another project, Shipped when promised.
    No issues about a year or so ago

48fordnut, WiredSpider and Deadbird like this.
  11. waid786

waid786
    from Indiana

A frame for 38 is not something that they do but can make a custom frame which will run extra $1000.

12. bchctybob

bchctybob

At Bakersfield a few years ago I asked the Boling Bros about building a rolling chassis for my ‘33 pu and they basically said , no they only build what they sell, Model A chassis. I was really surprised. They do very nice chassis work and I figured I could push that project forward a lot faster. No dice. So they make ‘em now?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

I see Boling Bros is now making a 32/34 pickup frame. Must have had enough requests to go into production. There's some really good pictures of the frame on their website. They also show a 35-37 pickup frame.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  14. waid786

waid786
    from Indiana

I do like simplicity of the rear leaf springs and it's made for the wider pickups. Also on Riley's eBay listing, the chassis is spec'd out with all part numbers so make it all work. Since I am new to this stuff, there is no guessing game as what I need. I have Explorer 8.8 which will work better with leaf springs anyway.
    R13.JPG

48fordnut, Max Gearhead and bantam like this.
  15. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I can vouch for Eric/Riley Automotive. He's sending new frames out the door all the time. You won't be let down.

Eric posts some photos of his work on Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/vaphead/?hl=en

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had to edit my comment after I found this Boling bros Ebay add
    eBay item number:
    Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.
    In deference to the moderators I didn't post the direct link.

Eric's frames are pretty nifty for a simple and quite low ride. It's good to see the news that he is back on track after the issues he had a few years ago. I've been thinking low slung bobber truck for my flathead now that I sold the Model A Vicky body and one of those frames would work.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  17. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

I was told at one time that Boling Bros averaged one frame a week? If that's true it's easy to see why they don't want to add more styles.

18. street rod lover

street rod lover
    from taylor,mi.

I have to laugh as I posted some info on an aft mkt chassis I bought with good success but my info was deleted as it was an aft mkt frame. What do you call the frames you guys are talking about OEM?

19. Its all in how you present the message.

street rod lover likes this.
  20. Did the aftermarket frame have suspension on it?

21. street rod lover

street rod lover
    from taylor,mi.

I believe it did have bare and susp pics. Sometimes I think my name says something and draws attention to me but its not the actual case. My wife gave me the name years ago. She knew I loved cars but she still married me. Hence the handle Street Rod Lover given by my wife many years ago!!!

22. street rod lover

street rod lover
    from taylor,mi.

How would the 38 truck handle on a 32 frame. I thought the truck is wider. I also have a 39 truck but all stock.

23. I think you might find it had MII suspension, which we all know is delete worthy here;)

24. street rod lover

street rod lover
    from taylor,mi.

Delete or not delete i still dig the hamb!

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The thing with Eric... I guess he was going through a rough spot and a number of customers paid a price for it. It was not fun to deal with then.. and still not something I enjoy thinking about.

However, I’ve heard he has been killing it as of late and I don’t think anyone should hesitate to give him a shot.

Not an endorsement... just an opinion.

26. 6inarow

6inarow

Ryan, I can agree with supporting him and people giving him a shot. But only if he has made things right with the past. That is a tenant in everything we hold close: 12 step program, scouting, golden rule, etc. You get the idea. Hopefully he has good charachter.

Tman likes this.
  27. I was one of those customers and I did a lot of business with him, but I ended up loosing money, when I said something on the hamb he went to another site and started trash mouthing me, I've moved on but I haven't forgot.

I'm glad Eric is doing well and won't discourage anyone from doing business with him, as for me he will not get a second chance. HRP

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    -Brent- and alanp561 like this.
  28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I don't fault you for that. He and a lot of his pals at the time and since have said that I was unfair. I don't know how I could have handled it any differently and even with hindsight, I don't know that I would have. My priority was protecting my own customer base.

All that being said, people go through shit... people make mistakes... I know I have. But people also pick themselves back up, learn from those mistakes, and at least try to do better. I do my best to root for that to happen despite any grudge I might have.

All of this is internalized of course... In reality, I just stay the hell away from people. :)

Woogeroo, 48fordnut, catdad49 and 6 others like this.
  29. And thats why I live in the sticks where I do..

lothiandon1940 and Tman like this.
  30. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Im literally on a mostly deserted island in the pacific right now.