Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 51 Ford Convertible quarter window regulator question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vtx1800, Aug 17, 2020.

1. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A friend of mine is helping a friend of his on a 51 Ford Convertible. I've not seen it but my friend says its a pretty nice car..........except.... there are no window regulators for the rear quarter windows and evidently (?) they are a one year only device that was extremely troublesome. I guess the windows are held up by some sort of clips currently.

Would anyone have a picture of what the correct regulator looks like or......probably more importantly, is there a regulator that can be swapped in?

Thanks!!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  2. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Same as the 51 Ford Victoria.

3. 54vicky

54vicky

I would try posting on the ford barn as it is brand specific.good luck

4. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@54vicky thanks for your suggestion (that I should have thought of myself:) I have done so.

5. 54vicky

54vicky

I seen your post there today glad it looks like you are getting some good advice.would have answered sooner but modem took a dump just got it back up.(new one)

6. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My friend said that the fellow that owns the car is sorta bummed by it all. He bought the car from a classic car dealer and assumed that everything worked (I guess), I really hoped that someone would suggest some common regulator that could be modified to work. I guess that regulator was not one of Fords "better ideas":(

7. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I met that guy today at the barber shop. It`s gotta be the same guy. He said the dealer said it only needed crank handles.

8. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@stanlow69 I'll bet you are correct, and in court the dealer would deny ever uttering those words. Did you get the dealers name?

9. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

He bought the car out of Springfield Missouri.

10. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

There would be no reason to remove the regulator.
    It helps hold the window up and in place. Take a window winder handle off the front door and try it on the small window.

11. I haven't gone to the Ford Barn to see what they are telling you. What I know is the operation of both Vert and Vicky is the same however they do not interchange directly. The handle shaft is much longer on the Vert unit due to the folding top inner upholstery panel standing inboard about 3" further and the handle shaft is that much longer. 50 and 51 vert units interchange but 49 uses a different handle and it has a square shaft and pin for the handle where the 50-51 unit is splined with a spring clip. Yes, they are very difficult to come by. It's actually a very simple unit and unless they are left to the elements to destroy work and hold up very well.

vtx1800 likes this.
  12. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

The car does not have a regulator mechanism for the rear windows. It is missing. That`s why this thread was started.

vtx1800 likes this.