Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hemi Intake

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bambamshere, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Bambamshere

Bambamshere

Hope this is where to post this.

Hello!! I am thinking of getting a Hemi Intake #1637625-2. The problem is I have a Holley 650 duel feed carburetor. Not sure if it would fit. Anyone know anything about it or if it will fit on it.

I am in Canada piece is in the States and will cost me almost $520 want to make sure before purchase.

2. Graybeard4545

Graybeard4545
    from Maryland

What kind of hemi? Stock or after market? I have a Desoto and it came with a carter 4v.

3. Bambamshere

Bambamshere

Sorry it would be stock 354 intake. I have a 354 Hemi that came out of a 1958 Dodge 2 ton. It has a 2 barrel on it right now and I want to change it to a 4 barrel. I have a Holley 4 barrel duel feed that is actually coming right now. It is aftermarket. Just need to no if it will fit on a original hemi 4 barrel intake.

4. Tdesoto276

Tdesoto276
    from Des Moines

LOU WELLS likes this.

5. Bambamshere

Bambamshere

6. 73RR

73RR

The carbs bore spacing (as well as the bolt pattern) is significantly different that the oem Hemi and you will be using a 'funnel' or, by some accounts, a 'choke plate' if you do nothing more than sandwich in an 'adapter'.
    I too am a fan of the Holley carbs and I bore out the intake to match the Holley base pattern. The manifold throttle bore centers get relocated so this is not just a 'bore-job'. You will need a bolt pattern spacer to not only change bolt positions but also to raise the cab above the manifold so linkage clears.
    I have modified manifolds in the discount bin.......:rolleyes:

kidcampbell71 and moparob like this.
  7. Do this. Easy to adapt a big bore modern carb to the hemi manifold. Use the aluminum carb adapter plate as guide for the hole saw.
    Fig 7 - Copy.jpg Fig 8 - Copy.jpg Fig 10 - Copy.JPG Fig 13 - Copy.JPG P7280002 - Copy.JPG

8. Deuces

Deuces

Gotta love them 3-bbl Holley carbs... :)

9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1050’s

Deuces likes this.
  10. carbking

carbking

I love the ratings. The Carter 3-barrel that flowed 939 CFM by actual test had more throttle/venturii area than the 1050 Holley.

Willys36 - beautiful work!

Jon.

11. I didn’t know Carter had a 3-barrel. Was it based on the AFB?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

low down A likes this.
  12. George

George

Where it's a truck hemi it would have a wet 2 bl intake (thermostat in the intake). You'd need the '54 331 car intake to get a 4 bl. with thermostat, or change to front opening heads.

13. '54 331 heads are about as rare as it gets. I have never even seen one in real life. I converted my 354 manifold to fit my 331 by brazing on 1 1/4" steel pipe stubs and making a thermostat cup and attaching it together with hoses.
    Fig 11.jpg

kidcampbell71, Deuces and Algoma56 like this.
  14. George

George

The 55-56 car heads could have been used, or the, as you say, rare '54 intake. Or your "Cragar" style.....

15. 4tford

4tford

Didn't truck heads have the crossover mounting pads on the heads? They could be machine to use the crossover and then a new aluminum 4 barrel intake could be used. It would save some weight also.

16. 73RR

73RR

The truck head does have an odd shaped boss on the head and TR Waters has made some pieces to hook up water.
    In addition, recall that the truck head has water under the carb, not exhaust, and the cross-over port requires some filler so that a pass-car gasket will seal it.
    As to the 54-331 heads, every 54-331 had them so not sure why they are 'rare'... how many do you want?
    Since the 354 is a truck engine will most likely have the 51-54 front cover design so using a intake manifold w/o a t-stat will require a remote unit. Not everyone's cup-o-tea.
    There are some early aluminum intakes floating around, either 2x2 (51-53) or 2x4 (54), and although never cheap, they will have a t-stat. I have one of each in the discount bin...

17. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

$520?!
    That sounds pretty steep.
    You probably don't want to hear that I looked at a 2 x 4 iron intake a few years ago but turned it down because it wouldn't fit my Desoto.

The fellow wanted a case of 24 beer for it, we had a couple and then I took my beer away and he kept the intake.
    But I didn't know much about early Hemi prices then.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  18. Bambamshere

Bambamshere

I was trying to figure out WTH you were talking about. lol

Seems like everthing that comes from down there costs lots of money right now.

19. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

kidcampbell71 and Bambamshere like this.
  20. Bambamshere

Bambamshere

Beanscoot I have looked at those.

These engines are not cheap to build here in Canada. I got one that hasn't run in 30+ Years and need a lot of love to get started. So if I can cut costs some where for now I will. Doesn't mean at somepoint I won't go get aluminum heads at some point or new intake but for now it will be the cast iron stuff.

21. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

This is a “Dodge truck” head. It is the same casting as an industrial 331 Chrysler.
    It has the tall center water port

22. Heads aren't rare but 4bbl manifolds w/ thermostat housing surely are.

23. Eddie

Eddie
    from Georgia

Anybody need one? check my ads.
    Eddie

73RR likes this.