Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Are you easy ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 41rodderz, Aug 18, 2020.

1. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

So over the decades regular career work , race cars and personal hot rods , at times working with others and by myself . What’s your preference? Work with others or by yourself. Unless I am helping someone else on there stuff , I enjoy working by myself on my hot rods . What say you ?

2. adam401

adam401

I cant work with anyone because I'm bossy, stuborn and if I have someone to drink with I'll just drink beer and stare at cars instead of working on them.

redoxide, mctim64, swervyjoe and 18 others like this.
  3. N2hotrods

N2hotrods

I like to work by myself, however I will help anybody in need of my knowledge. I want to pass it on and pay it forward.

redoxide, 1959Nomad, trollst and 14 others like this.
  4. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've worked on the restorations of some truly historic cars along with others, but enjoy working alone on my own. Bob

5. Chicster

Chicster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Missouri H.A.M.B.ers

Myself, if someone comes over I'll stop and shoot the breeze. Only time I'll ask for help is if it is a heavy job.

redoxide, 1959Nomad, WB69 and 8 others like this.
  6. I like helping others on their projects , but rather work on my own stuff ! IMG_1984.JPG

mctim64, WB69, Boryca and 9 others like this.
  7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Love the race car .i want to do a replica of my Dad’s 1937 Chevy coupe dirt car. But on the street.

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the best way to get nothing done is to have a helper.... or is it?

my brother and I are similar in many ways, strange huh? I went out to his place to help build some fencing for his sheep. we worked all day and got a lot done. he told me if he was doing it alone there would have been a nap in the middle somewhere, and several more breaks than what we took, and beer o'clock would have arrived much sooner. we are both like that. which is one reason I don't do car stuff for a living. tried for 5 years and all I did was spend all my savings on rent.... maybe if I had a helper it would have been different..... unless it was my brother.

as for the sheep, none of them were that attractive, so keep your jokes to yourself.

dirty old man, jbon64, enloe and 8 others like this.
  9. My pal Dave and I have worked together a lot over the years and we always had a good time and laugh a lot, I always tell people that when I help Dave he is the boss and when he is helping me he is STILL the boss. :D HRP

10. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I work on my cars by my self or with my wife if I need smaller fingers. I like working with other people on their cars, that way if we get talking and don’t the work done it’s ok. Besides it a lot better to tell them how to spend their money than have them tell me how to spend mine.

11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I'm easy until I get pissed off. Usually within 20 minutes after hitting the shop.

12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

:D

dana barlow and Stogy like this.
  13. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

I just cant work with others ... guy I bought my project from, we talked a lot and we were becoming friends, He asked if I had anyone to come over and lift the bed off or help with the project ... He lived 45 min away ... too far for him. I will work on it myself.
    He was actually offended and never talked to me since.

Same time with my disability, Last week I spent time getting wife car ready for a 1200 mile trip. Last day was time to wash it, Dodge caravan, It literally took all day to wash it, work a little and sit, rinse and repeat. By 4:00 pm I had it washed and looking good.
    My back was so wrecked I had to go to bed at 4:00 in the afternoon for it to recover.

While I can work on my projects for a few min at a time, it would be a waste for someone to drive here and I cant help ....
    I do all my own work at my own pace and just love having the project.
    And in general, people suck and dogs rule.

dirty old man, enloe, Boryca and 7 others like this.
  14. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can work with others and sometimes do. But I prefer to work alone on my projects, if it's something I can do myself. One of my buddies is always in a hurry and that upsets my natural rhythm and thinking. I'd rather take my time and do it right the first time and not have to come back and clean up short cuts. Plus, I'm some of my favorite company! Also, I like to listen to my music if I'm not running grinders and air tools.

enloe, Chicster, Hnstray and 4 others like this.
  15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just remembered the time I went next door to work on my daughters house. Ex neighbor on the other side showed up to help. Started giving instructions on what I should do. Nap time came early. Bob

enloe, Hnstray, Shutter Speed and 4 others like this.
  16. I work alone always..if it's something heavy I'll devise some sort of lifting aid, or I'll double up on my morning dosage of Wheaties.
    In the past I've joined a few different car clubs, with my belief there may be a shared interest/labor with our projects..never has panned out, always seems to end up more social/drama then actual building or work sharing of cars.

17. birdman1

birdman1

I'm a loner. Unless it's my grandkids, but that rarely happens.

18. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I like working with my kid around, I don't want him learning that kind of language elsewhere. Like working with my dad around too, though as I stated in another thread, his favorite part of working with me is to stand there and drink a beer and tell me I'm doing it all wrong, lol. Every friggin time. I swear it's the only reason he invites me over to fix his shit....

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I beg your pardon!

enloe and 41rodderz like this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe the solice in the garage has a relation to the fact there is pretty much zero Hamb Friendly Hotrodders in my region...there are a few but we are 1+ hrs apart and most are in their own grooves and we hardly know each other...I have Family but that has taken a dive for the deep end unfortunately so I have to be crafty when I need a hand...Ms Stogy does help on occasion but doesn't have a whole lot of lifting power but turning a wrench no problem...

It's really been this way for years now...

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I work with my wife. On everything. She was a customer at my shop in 1978. Young, smart, and waaay gorgeous.
    She asked the fatal question: "What's that hot rod in there? I mean, was that a racing car body from a company OR was it like a Model A Ford? I ask because if it was an old Ford, was there a jagged edge where the fenders came off?"
    Ohhh, did I ever have some explaining to do...
    I worked on specialty cars, mostly foreign...but did 'hot rod work' too.
    There were 3 or 4 street roadster jobs going on at the time, so she saw plenty.
    I showed her two Porsche 356 type engines ready for assembly.
    She was anxious to see what it entailed after the balancing, etc.
    In a month, she was measuring, installing connecting rods on rolling assemblies.
    Very articulate, I love watching her work...Still pretty, looks way younger, we've been married 40 years.
    To answer the question, she is the ONLY ONE I can work with...otherwise I work alone.
    Bonneville Butch (Letiere) in San Jose had a 'sister shop' to mine...Butch and I worked fine together. But I relocated, so 120 miles is a bit far.

22. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

I work best alone on my own stuff, a quiet mind allows for a better final product. I don’t mind being a helper for someone else though.

enloe, 41rodderz, Hnstray and 3 others like this.
  23. pkhammer

pkhammer

I work alone 99% of the time but only because I don't have a circle of close car friends anymore. When I was 17-22 years old I had a friend that had a large shop at his parents place we'd all hang out at and work on each others cars. Always had a lot of fun and got a lot of cool stuff done. Each of us was the "boss" of our own cars and when we worked on each others stuff we could offer suggestions but ultimately the work got done the way the owner wanted it.
    That was 35 years ago. We all got married, started careers, had families, moved away, etc. Now I work alone but wish I had some car buddies to work with.

24. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I’ll enlist help for certain things but prefer to work alone...

Stogy and olscrounger like this.
  25. 6sally6

6sally6

I prefer to work alone except when my best bud's helping.........then me & him! We sorta click on just about everything car related.
    6sally6

26. flatford39

flatford39

I always work alone...but then again I am anti social to begin with so this whole social distancing is right up my alley.

The only time I might need help is some heavy lifting but with all the tools and devices I have acquired that is rare as well.

TheSteamDoc, 41rodderz, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  27. mark latham

mark latham

I can work well with most people and I do fine by myself too. If the people I'm working with hustle its easy to hustle and get things done. If they don't hustle I like to shame them by out working them if possible. If they out work me that's just great. If I'm working by myself I like to live in denial about how much work something is until I get to the point of no return otherwise I may not start a project.

Stogy, 427 sleeper and lothiandon1940 like this.
  28. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

THAT is the BEST way to get smaller fingers!

WE HAVE A WINNER!^^

Personally, I hafta work for the same old asshole everyday...I wake up, hafta see the world thru his fuzzy eyes, hear thru his deaf ears, eat whatever he’s havin, then accompany him to the shop and beat the crap outa his hands, AND, he lets me feel his pain!

Guess I’ll stick with him for a while. What’s the choice?

29. manyolcars

manyolcars

You win this thread!

30. I've got trust issues. When it comes to bodywork, it's hard to let anybody help. It's my name when it leaves my shop so the only way i can control quality is if i do the work. I have 1 good friend local, he comes over every now and then, good help when it comes to putting an engine in or taking a truck bed off, etc, but he'll be the first to tell you he's not a bodyman. I've had good help in the past, but good body men are getting few and far between.

enloe, Shutter Speed, Stogy and 2 others like this.