Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Type of oil

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 46poncho, Aug 17, 2020.

1. 46poncho

46poncho
    from Indiana

What type of oil is everyone running? I have heard from several friends to run rotella diesel oil 15w40 because is has plenty of anti wear additives and works great for autos. Has anybody heard or tried this? Is it good for all auto engines?
    Thanks
    Scott

Sent from my SM-S367VL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Many posts on here concerning "what oil to use"..similar to what brand of spark plugs are best?, followed up with who makes the best oil filter?
    I use Valvoline Racing oil VR1, straight 30 wt in my old cars.

3. Come on man, you're a little early. Tuesday is which oil day!

XXL__, blowby, RMR&C and 2 others like this.
  4. I have and I do. Most any oil is ok

Ben

5. squirrel

squirrel

Using oil is a lot better than not using oil. Keep it full. Change it every now and then. Use some weight or viscosity, and some brand or another.

6. :rolleyes:
    basically this
    I’ve used rottella in my stuff
    Used other brands to
    10-w30 seems about right
    UseD Lukas oil additive
    Used zinc additive

used plain old bulk oil from the shops I’ve worked at

change it frequently and I’ve never had issues.

also used redline synthetic didn’t notice anything other then paying slot for oil !

7. Yes. I also use oil and I am not ashamed

I feel much better.

8. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

How long is this freaking subject gonna be debated ?

Castrol GTX (20-50) works just fine in old engines.
    Ran just over 93,000 miles till I sold my 59 Studebaker Lark, on plain ol "car" oil. NO NEED of this supposed, magical truck oil. Just more snake oil hype.
    Then there is even better synthetic oils..! Most all synthetics will work just fine in old mechanical lifter engines.

Mike

9. I run snake oil with no problems.
    Mostly cause it’s cheap.
    Most car oils are great as well. Even Walmart stuff.
    Just use oil. Oil is good. Change it regularly.
    Drive it. Condensation is bad. Not driving is worse than enjoying these mechanical wonders as intended.
    New oil is better than old oil. Vintage oil is still out there but user beware.
    Lawn chairs in the trunk may be made fun of here but will not affect engine oil.
    We even have guys here that have successfully run orange oil filters without any issues.

10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I sure miss Sav-on oil from the Sav-on Drug Store. $.10 a qt in 1960.

41rodderz likes this.
  11. I just changed the oil in the late model. I am a quart low.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Castrol 20W-50 non synthetic.

13. squirrel

squirrel

oldoil2.jpg oldoil.jpg

this one made it home....old oil works, too.

14. LOL its already several hundred thousand years old before they put it in the can.

I used to run oilzum in my bikes, I preferred the steel cans. No reason why just liked steel cans.

[​IMG]

15. flyin flattie

flyin flattie
    from Redmond OR

Valvelen race oil. It has zink that helps with your cam from goin flat.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. C79DD18C-F40E-4ECD-90B9-98A1C47A3C9A.png C45E87AA-669C-4B95-A08D-DD91C218DC93.png I find that i am picky about what oil i use. Most of the time i use Mom’s, but i do go back and forth between these two.

17. What grade of crude oil do you prefer?:)

18. Yep. In an unopened can.
    Had a dirt dobber set up shop in an opened one once.
    We had an old drum of 30 weight. The drum was rusty above the oil line. We used a strainer.

19. leon bee

leon bee

Years ago I got a phone call, nice young girl conducting a motor oil survey. Do you have a preferred brand, she asks? Yes I do says I, Quaker State. Why did you choose that, she says? I says cause it was the very last oil around here to come in a metal can. Ok, thanks, she says.......click.

20. bonzo-1

bonzo-1

Rotella truck is not snake oil. Its good oil and is cheap when purchased in 5 gallon buckets. Sometimes has a rebate to get the price down to $2 a quart.

Blues4U and anthony myrick like this.
  21. What other oil would you possibly run in your Hot Rod than Hot Rod Motor Oil?
    Plus, it's double re-refined!!!

Mick
    hotrodoil1.jpg

22. KenC

KenC

I have a favorite oil, just like everyone else. Doesn't matter what mine, or yours, is as today's oils are far better that what our vintage engines had available when they were young.

Use your favorite, change it often (or when an oil analysis says to), and run a good. PCV system.

I'm installing a full flow filter on my old Dodge six as IMO that is much more important that dino or not, 10w30, single wgt or any other choices.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  23. 1597695167982-1923767808.jpg just brought a case home today. Am I early for the filter thread?

24. no55mad

no55mad

Read all about it at ZDDPlus.com They are Alliance Vendors here.

25. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I use whatever I get cheap at the swap meet or garage sales.
    I picked up an unopened five gallon pail of 30 weight at the flea market last year for $5.

26. Have used Pennzoil 30W forever. Matches decal on my car. What oil you use isn't as important as changing it religiously every 3,000mi.

27. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

1 qt. SAE 30 non detergent
    1 qt 10W30 detergent
    1qt re refined 50
    1qt high mileage engine formula
    1can STP
    1pint of Marvel Mystery Oil
    1 pint Rislone

Rinse all the containers out with the rest of the MMO since it is mostly Stoddard solvent it will do a good job cleaning up the residue. Then add that mix the gas tank. If there is anything left apply it to your trunk lid hinges.

RMR&C, 427 sleeper and Beanscoot like this.
  28. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

I bought this stuff for my 50 Plymouth lot car lived north of Syracuse where the refinery was. A buck a gallon. But when I bought it in the early 60s the can was just red with the seitz name in tan. Wonder what they put in it to boost the viscosity to 50???

If you were a frequent flier and brought the can back for a refill they knocked off 10 cents.

lurker mick likes this.
  29. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

On one of the recent threads, I think, it was mentioned that one of the dollar stores got caught selling some motor oil that was real junk. Wish I could remember the details.

30. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

McMillian was the reclaimed oil of Santa Ana. I used in all my work V-dubs. Chained every 1000 miles..