Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Selling a car into the UK

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VANDENPLAS, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Hey all seems I got my merc sold to a chap in England.

how does payment work?
    Bank info, transfer funds into my account n done?

I don’t do PayPal, and just curious what’s the easiest most secure way of getting payment .

2. Gman0046

Gman0046

Use bank to bank Wire Transfer. Safest and easiest way to go.

Tomincanada and olscrounger like this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd very honestly ask my banker how to get it done safely.. They can make it work safely.

4. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Wire transfer X 2

5. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wire transfer absolutely. The biggest problem I've had with that is that in many cases sellers in the US won't give their bank details, presumably fearful of the Nigerian Princes!! Their choice for sure, but international money orders and the likes are an expensive pita!!

Chris

Sent from my SM-G900F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Lil32 likes this.
  6. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Wire transfer just give the guy a bank routing number to give his bank and your bank info and done. Painless sold my 65 plymouth awhile back to a friend over there. His carrier comes and gets it at your place, AFTER the bank transition takes place, lol and bye bye.

7. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Create a separate savings account (with it's own account number). When the wire transfer is completed, remove the money.

panhead_pete and rusty valley like this.
  8. oldolds

oldolds

I would even consider using a different bank than you normally use. Banks and other felons seem to be able to draw money out of other accounts when they decide they want to. It would be a little bit harder for them to do it at another bank.

9. 37gas

37gas

I sold two cars to a guy in New Zealand, I went to my bank and opened up a new account, that was the information I sent to the buyer when the money was sent to my new account I withdrew all of the money and closed the new account.

10. Interesting. If you don’t mind what cars did you sell to my home country.

11. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Bank to bank wire transfer for sure. Make sure it does not say ACH transfer, which is a wire transfer thru a third party clearing house, as these can be reversed! Only do bank to bank wire transfer. Once it's verified and posted to your account, you're good to go.

12. rusty valley

rusty valley

trailer trash has it. atleast thats how my bank wanted to do it. set up a new account, get the money, scoop it up and close account

13. Gman0046

Gman0046

OldOlds, someone getting your bank account number is of no concern. Every time you write a check, any idea how many different people have an opportunity to get your bank account number? Your bank name, routing number and your account number is on every check you write. If I had to open a new account for every check I write thats all I'd be doing.
    I've used Wire Transfers to my bank accounts for untold numbers of car sales for many years without any problems.
    If it makes you feel better to open a new account by all means do so.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    51504bat and VANDENPLAS like this.
  14. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I've done a direct deposit from down here into an overseas account through my bank, Escrow is a safe method

Lil32 likes this.
  15. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I sold my 32 Ford Pickup to a man in the UK several years ago. Did it with wire transfer of funds to my bank and he arranged all the transportation. Put it on a Reliable Transport truck and waved goodbye.

Lil32 and Gman0046 like this.
  16. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

Having sent money to the USA from the UK a few times, it seems to me that the sender has all the risk. When I instruct my bank to transfer x thousand USD to a bank account in the US (or anywhere else) it'll be done under a secure interbank communication system and that money has very much gone; regardless of whether or not the seller provides the goods once they've received my money.