Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Any of you fellas still using old PAW speed parts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6sally6, Aug 15, 2020.

1. 6sally6

6sally6

My "first" real venture into hot rods used a lot of PAW parts......including Windsor jr. heads.
    Did Summit drive them out of business (like many other parts places) or...........??
    Interesting!
    6sally6

SS327 and Just Gary like this.
  2. I was having a Discussion with a customer the other day about the same thing.. I heard that they folded but he told me that they was not.. and doing mail order..

3. I bought a ton of parts from PAW back in the mid 80 ‘s,,,,,,always loved their selection.
    That was back when my UPS shipments were COD .

Tommy

Just Gary and 427 sleeper like this.
  4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They kinda exist on eBay.

Not much there.

5. I wore a PAW tee shirt under my white dress shirt on high school graduation day. My girl friend was PISSED OFF when I went up to get my diploma and the shirt was clearly visible.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hnstray, Baumi, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  6. Yeah, still using the sticker on my toolbox............
    sticker.jpg

7. Their catalog was as thick as a big city phone book.
    Both of which are extinct.:rolleyes:

8. indyjps

indyjps

I liked their engine kits, PAW and Northern Auto Parts got a lot of my funds in the 90's. Built and sold a lot of claimer circle track and street perf SBC's. Summits kits didnt price out well for what you got - at the time.

9. When I bought my Henry J it had PAW stickers in the window, great selling point, I ordered from the company in the 80's, got in trouble in high school art class for submitting the redrawn image for an assignment.
    I still run the stickers in the J and my art teacher can stick it.

20200822_214832.jpg

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    ace5043, High test 63, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  10. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Bought stuff from PAW and stroker kits from Speedomotive:p

Deuces, williebill and bchctybob like this.
  11. Roothawg

Roothawg

That catalog was the size of a phone book. I used to love to sit and thumb through it.

12. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

They could get parts from any manufactures in the day....They also sponsored Shirley Muldowney's fuel car...I miss them...Use their valve covers on my old 392 Hemi...

13. I bought a bearing set from them maybe in 1982... the shells came loose in the box, like someone just threw them in. Upon examination, they were ok. We bought a 460 Ford stroker kit from them in 1984 and took the 460 out to 496 cubes in a stock car. It made great power until it broke a rod under power.

14. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

Mismanagement/Owner died/new owner did them in, they killed themselves off. The whole story is out there if you do search here at the Hamb for PAW/Performance Automotive Warehouse

Just Gary, egads and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  15. 4tford

4tford

They had a good selection of gen 1 hemi parts that I purchased for my 392 hemi build. Got everything I needed between them and hotheads.

Just Gary likes this.
  16. I have used part and tools from PAW. I still have a PAW engine stand.

I am not sure that Summit racing drove them out of business. Last I heard from them they had gone strictly into the Hemi business, I actually considered buying a 426 hemi top end kit from them to convert a 440.

Deuces and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  17. Sporty45

Sporty45

Rebuilt a 396 about 30 years ago using a master rebuild kit from them. Came with a forged steel crank too! Best price around back then. Came across a sticker from them last year and put it on my sandblast cabinet. :cool:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    Deuces, Just Gary and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  18. egads

egads

19. High test 63

High test 63

Still running a p.a.w. cam, lifters, and rebuild kit in my roadster.
    I had sent back 2 defective double IMG_20200713_072213329_HDR.jpg roller timing chain sets before i gave up and bought a regular chain locally.

20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The nice for me was it existed right when my son was in auto shop in HS. We could order “will call” and drive up and get the parts. It was about 1 hour each way... As I remember all the parts gave you specs which helped choose. I don’t know where everything was made but it was always great on pricing...

21. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Jimmy six, am I wrong but isn't Al Teague's wife Jane, once part of PAW?

22. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

As I recall they did make a few Hemi parts that nobody else did or does, such as a water crossover.
    There was some hope and speculation someone will come up with the patterns / tooling to remake them.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  23. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

There is a thread on here that many of us Hemi owners are discussing PAW's water crossover for blown Hemi's that we would all like to get. Several have started working on a reproduction of it and I like many more, hope they succeed ! It is a nice peice and very needed.

24. MAS was another one with a two page magazine spread. Bought my 'axle kit from them just before they vanished.

Just Gary and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. How about ASAP, a Super Shop offshoot, I ordered a bunch of stuff from here before they folded.

FB_IMG_1597726986423.jpg

26. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’m not sure. Janes brother ( can’t think of his name) had a balencing shop I used a few times and sold other products. He also was involved with Speedway Engineering in South Gate for many years. He is no longer with us. Al used his Dodge diesel truck to tow to Bonneville for years..

27. I'm using a PAW timing cover, water crossover, and oil filter adapter that uses the Chev filter, on my Hemi. Very happy with all of it.

Just Gary likes this.
  28. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Bought this 350"sbc Blower Motor as one of the many package options in 2005. Had all of the good stuff already
    done to it. Just had to add carbs and linkage and distributor for the most part. It dyno'd at 650hp with only 7 lbs of boost. Great price for the package. Still have their catalog 46 coupe 1.jpg to go back down memory lane. Ahh, the prices then.

swade41, rod1 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  29. PAW tunnel ram intake on th 392. Dodge 7-9-17 Hemi.jpg

Just Gary likes this.