Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 50 plymouth - red barn paint on the wheels + a poll!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny Vannz, Aug 14, 2020.

?
  1. Yes

24.2%
  2. No

75.8%
  1. Johnny Vannz

Johnny Vannz

Id like to find one of the cool old 3rd brake lights too.

2. I've got a tissue box cover set close to that color green. If you want them for your car, PM your address. BuckeyeBuicks could use a tissue.

20200814_163016.jpg

3. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

4. Johnny Vannz

Johnny Vannz

That is very kind of you. Wow man. I do appreciate the offer and I’m blown away by the kindness. If I had a place to put them in the car I may but I honestly don’t and so it would probably be better to pass it on to someone else. I honestly do appreciate it though.
    and as for the other guy, I try to either deflect or ignore shit like that. I like cars, but for the most part find it hard to get along with a majority of “ car guys “. There’s always someone puffing their chest or trying to bust someone’s balls. I’ve never much care for spraying my testosterone all over the place. I’m not an alpha male I guess! Lol.

5. Johnny Vannz

Johnny Vannz

That’s awesome. I love music of that era. That tune, though I don’t know it makes me think of that “Oh baby that’s a what I like song” (chantilly lace, a pretty face, pony tail hanging down...)LOVE THAT ONE) ... I don’t wanna google it so I am guessing to see if I’m right in remembering. Bowser or sha-na-nah comes to mind. (Probably spelled wrong). Ugh, I think I might be wrong but I will keep it there for the point of conversation rather than look it up. I have written a doowop style song or 2. I’m only 40 but I love a ton of music from all eras. I really enjoyed that. Thanks. Never heard it before. I would probably dress a bit like that if my wife wouldn’t be embarrassed going out with me that way!

chryslerfan55, catdad49 and F-ONE like this.
  6. Johnny Vannz

Johnny Vannz

Missed that question. I Wish it was A/C! And yeah, 3 on the tree and shifts very well. My whole family says I gotta horseshoe up my butt. The drivetrain really is great.

chryslerfan55 and catdad49 like this.
  7. Man that dash looks great!

8. Johnny Vannz

Johnny Vannz

Thanks! It’s just about perfect. Original block outs for the radio and lighter socket are both there and it’s clean for sure. Been indoors or under cover pretty much forever til I got it. Now she gets to live a little I guess.

chryslerfan55 and scotty t like this.
  9. here is a photo of a 56 Buick I painted wth an almond colored roof. color is off in the photo but I love the combo.
    hate the red wheels tho. DSCN3753.JPG

10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

:p:p

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. junkman8888

junkman8888

Always wanted to buy one of those and paint it up like a taxi, yellow with the checkered stripe at the belt-line, finding a taxi light for the roof might be a challenge.

Johnny Vannz and X38 like this.
  12. gene-koning

gene-koning

I think the almond roof would set the car off more. The wheels would look good matching the almond color roof, but the red is OK.

Is the car a 12 volt or a 6 volt system? A 46-48 (and early 49) Plymouth had a cool trunk lid mounted brake light. They are still available, prices are all over the map. Plymouth made 2 versions, one for a coupe, and one for a sedan, the difference is the angle of the trunk lid slope. A sedan is more vertical then one for a coupe. I have one off my coupe I'm not going to use, but the framework is pot metal, and mine is pitted very badly. I think I still have the lens here for it, but the bulb and bulb bracket are long gone (as in rusted away). There is a company that is making a 12 volt LED trunk lid brake light, it comes as a new part with the lens and LED all sealed up for around $120. It should how up with a google search for an "LED 46-48 Plymouth 3rd brake light"
    The "new" cream colored wheels and roof on my 48 Plymouth to show how a matched pair might look. Gene

Attached Files:

13. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Maybe a darker green for the roof (and window frames)? Idea being that it visually shrinks the roof a bit.
    50 Plymouth two tone.jpg
    My first car when I was 15 was this '50, in Shore Green (a bit darker than your car, and a nice contrast color for the roof):
    my50plymouth.jpg

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  14. southcross2631

southcross2631

Almost the same color with Allis Chalmers tractor orange on the wheels 0520131953a.jpg

15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

^^^^^^^Great looking Morris!!

Ray

Johnny Vannz likes this.
  16. catdad49

catdad49

Chantilly Lace, The Big Bopper!

48fordnut and Johnny Vannz like this.
  17. I like red wheels, on this car not so much.
    Color of top, to match wheel color..say dark green top/wheels, black top/wheels, okay almound top/wheels.
    That dashboard is awesome.

chryslerfan55 and Johnny Vannz like this.
  18. fortynut

fortynut

I had one of those; instead of having red rims, the whole car was painted red. A friend of mine built it and installed the engine and three speed transmission out of a '57 Plymouth Fury. He needed cash and I needed a car. I was in school in Memphis, at the time. Sorry to say that during a period of my life I was drinking my sorrows away, one bottle of Metaxa Five Star at a time. I treated that poor car like a tank and just like a whipped dog it bit back and died. Enjoy yours and remember that Mopar parts fit with the plan; especially the go-fast ones. Lots of 'little Hemis' floating around on the H.A.M.B. classifieds, as well as those that were fed better and grew bigger. No reason to poke around when you can zoom! My color choice would be YELLOW CAB YELLOW! Even down to the old style lettering. Then again, it's your ride and you get to decide.

19. 52HardTop

52HardTop

JALOPYASS.JPG I don't know about the Almond. I'm seeing something that ties the inside red and the rims together.

JalopynBoat.JPG

20. I had a 1950 Plymouth 4 door, back in 1959 when I was in the army. It was lowered, hood and trunk filled, painted metallic blue. I bought it off of a low rent used car lot for $ 35.00. It needed a transmission, ( standard ). I bought a used transmission for $ 15.00 from Pinnacle Auto Parts in Plainville Connecticut. We installed the transmission at the used car dealers lot, and drove the car home. I kept the Plymouth until the brakes failed while driving it into the garage, and wiped out the nose of the Plymouth. I junked the car at the same junkyard that I bought the transmission from.

21. Johnny Vannz

Johnny Vannz

Looks nice. Definitely helps me envision it.
    Thanks

22. Johnny Vannz

Johnny Vannz

That'd be awesome! Always loved the old taxi schemes

23. Johnny Vannz

Johnny Vannz

Your car is awesome man! Great job!
    Mine is still 6 volt. I will have to look more into the 3rd brake light. I saw one that was bumper mounted on a car the other day and i really liked it. I dont know if i will ever switch iver to 1w volt. Im not against it. Definitely seems it would be more convenient. I can just think of other things i would prefer to spend $400 on when i get an extra $400..

24. Johnny Vannz

Johnny Vannz

Mine is shore green as well. Pictures make it tough sometimes i guess. But i have the colorcode and name in a file from when the exterior was reshot. I thought about the darker green as green is my favorite color. It does seem to shrink the roof. Good call. I am not sure it sways me from the almond roof though i do really like it! That definitely doesnt look right with the red wheels then. It is hard to decide whether or not to paint the window frames but it looks right for that color scheme. Awesome job doing that man. It is cool!

Chrisbcritter and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. Johnny Vannz

Johnny Vannz

I love it man!!! Looks cool! Ill wiat to see if i change my wheel color once i finish with centers and white walls. I dont want to keep repainting them til i see em that way first. Right now i dont LOVE the red but i think it will come together more soon

26. Johnny Vannz

Johnny Vannz

Such a great song!
    I knew i was wrong!

catdad49 likes this.
  27. Johnny Vannz

Johnny Vannz

Thanks! The dash is great.
    I am not set on the wheels yet. I will wait to decide their fate once i get my centers figured out and get some white walls.

28. Johnny Vannz

Johnny Vannz

I understand the drinking your sorrows away. Man do i... I drink still (or again i should say) but its a lot different now that i am not self treating with it.
    Anyway. Taxi yellow schemes are great! I love the color it is now and may never paint the roof at all. Im not 100% set in it yet. If i do, it will be almond though. As for fast, my self control isnt that great still and im probably better poking around. Im looking for a small block flathead 6 to rebuild fresh along with another trans to swap out. And then ill probably do it again with the one thats in there now.

29. Johnny Vannz

Johnny Vannz

30. Johnny Vannz

Johnny Vannz

Man dont we wish those prices were still around today!?